• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Now that our esteemed leaders have gotten rid of the Dog Fly program, what do we do about the Dog Flies? I understood that it was the responsibility of the Mosquito Control to explore this, but I guess the average citizen now must step up and investigate the problem. I don't know about you, but I have begun that investigation, because the Dog Fly problem hasn't gone away, now we are just not protected, while the problem has gotten worse.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Personally, I have no dog fly "problem". I've never considered dog flies anything more than a minor irritation that occurs so infrequently it's not worth considering. I believe the dog fly "problem" is more mental than physical.

Believe me, over the years I've been on the beach shooting photos with dozens of flies on me biting me, but I'm able to ignore them for the most part. Maybe I'm unusual. Maybe dog flies keep some people off the beach at times. Maybe dog flies would cause visitors to lament their decision to visit here, or not return. But if it this is an economic concern you have, I think we'll be OK.

If the flies get more numerous than they have been in the past because of the abscence of spraying or maybe for some natural reason, I'll let you know.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
spray yourself with DEET if you have a problem, or wear pants and longsleeved shirts, or just don't go to the beach when the wind blows from the north. The Dog Flies aren't bothering me enough to justify spraying poisons from a plane.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I guess we'll see just how much you can stand! And I suppose it depends on just how much time you spend outside. Seems unfair for those who don't go outside much to regulate what those who do have to endure.

dogflyguy

Beach Lover
Sep 24, 2007
Hey Kurt i would say your definetly unusual or just plain tuff if you can handle that anymore than one or two. Joe probably has the best answer for now just wait for the north wind and flies to get pushed back inland by the seabreeze in the afternoon. long pants and shirt will help but they can still bite through some materials. or to Panama city beach they still spray there.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
FG, for me the dog flies are a non-issue. The suggestions posted above are all good and can fairly well alliveate the problem. Do I go outside? Yes, everyday and if the dogflies get to be irritating, I go in. I'm with SJ and Kurt on this one. They are a nuisance not a danger. I had enough of Agent Orange exposure in my lifetime to now be wary of any unneeded pesticides and that is what spraying for dogflies is.

waltonco lover

Beach Fanatic
Aug 18, 2008
The dog flies this year seem worse than ever!! I can't stand the little buggers!! But luckly we only have them in our area for a short period of time. From what I remember, when this issue came up a few years ago, they don't carry diseases and are just annoying!! So my feelings on the issue is to just deal with, I think it is a small price we can pay to live in paradise!