• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Tuesday, Oct. 7, is Edgar Allan Poe's birthday. He wrote a poem for Octavia Walton Le Vert, the daughter of our county's namesake, George Walton, Jr.. I think I'll go to the Old Florida Fish House after 6:30 p.m. Have some sushi, etc. Be prepared to recite your favorite Poe poem or quote. Thought this would be a good start to Halloween festivities for the month of October. His favorite drink was Absinthe. I don't know if anyone serves that around here. You do need a special glass and absinthe spoon.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Very interesting--Poe is one of my very favorite writers.

My High School English teacher made us suffer through an entire semester of Poe. I didn't "get it" until many years later. I have my doubts that in today's text-message world, we'll ever produce a poet who possesses Poe's command of the English language and ability to paint vivid pictures in words.

When wit, and wine, and friends have met
And laughter crowns the festive hour
In vain I struggle to forget
Still does my heart confess thy power
And fondly turn to thee!

But Octavia, do not strive to rob
My heart of all that soothes its pain
The mournful hope that every throb
Will make it break for thee!

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Shelly, You get an A+ for posting "Octavia" that Poe wrote for her when she was 16 and he was 18. It is missing in many so called complete works of Poe. Both Octavia's and Edgar's grandparents fought in America's battle for independence. The orphaned Poe's grandparents had given quite a large sum of money to LaFayette. George Washington, George Walton (Octavia's grandfather) and LaFayette remained good friends throughout their lives. This connection probably allowed young Edgar to have an introduction to Octavia, a budding star and belle of her time. Poe would later die in 1849 from excessive campaign celebrations. That same year Octavia lost her beloved brother Robert and two of her children to scarlet fever. (SF/BR) Hope you can come toast a glass to Poe on his deathday Oct. 7 and enjoy his connection to Walton County.

Last edited:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Shelly, You get an A+ for posting "Octavia" that Poe wrote for her when she was 16 and he was 18. It is missing in many so called complete works of Poe. Both Octavia's and Edgar's grandparents fought in America's battle for independence. The orphaned Poe's grandparents had given quite a large sum of money to LaFayette. George Washington, George Walton (Octavia's grandfather) and LaFayette remained good friends throughout their lives. This connection probably allowed young Edgar to have an introduction to Octavia, a budding star and belle of her time. Poe would later die in 1849 from excessive campaign celebrations. That same year Octavia lost her beloved brother Robert and two of her children to scarlet fever. (SF/BR) Hope you can come toast a glass to Poe on his birthday Oct. 7 and enjoy his connection to Walton County.

Wow. Who knew? Interesting. :wave:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
:wave:Hi DD. Don't know about Poe's connection to Texas, but there must be some. Octavia was good friends with the second governor of Texas, General Mirabeau Lamar. Lamar was a frequent guest at Octavia's house where he met Richard Henry Wilde (author of "My Life is Like the Summer Rose") in Octavia's drawing room. Lamar was also a poet.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:wave:Hi DD. Don't know about Poe's connection to Texas, but there must be some. Octavia was good friends with the second governor of Texas, General Mirabeau Lamar. Lamar was a frequent guest at Octavia's house where he met Richard Henry Wilde (author of "My Life is Like the Summer Rose") in Octavia's drawing room.

:wave:Hey DL. So how do you know all this stuff? Did you write a paper on the guy or what? :D Seriously, I love stuff like this.....little known facts about peeps.

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Very interesting about Octavia. Have a great time at the Fish House.

Here is my favorite Poe work

Annabel Lee

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of ANNABEL LEE;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea;
But we loved with a love that was more than love-
I and my Annabel Lee;