• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
From what I have heard, thieves target gated communities, but maybe the ones they choose are not as secure as others.

I guess gated means different things to different people.
I am sure that having a gate also reduces lots of inconveniences and hassles, and I realize that some people worry about safety. To me a gated community is a segregated community; it feels like public space has been privatized.
But I do understand that behind that gate, property is safer and likely holds its value longer.

It is interesting to compare different gated communities. Has anyone seen the fortresses in South Africa? Or Latin America? Not pretty. I sure hope that doesn't happen here.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I understand the importance of safety and minimalizing theft, but that seems more appropriate in Memphis than SoWal. As for trying to decrease traffic for beach access, I completely understand.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
The place I stayed at during my last visit had a gate in the back of the complex but nothing in the front. Anyone could get in the front access. It didn't make any sense to me. :dunno:

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
I HATE gated communities and you'll NEVER find me living in a place that has a gate or security booth at the entrance (hope I don't have to "eat" my words). Here in Tampa Bay area the "gated communitiy" is a real prestige thing and I think it is totally annoying. We visit friends in those subdivisions and are just waved right in. Now what kind of security is that? And what a nuisance to have to call the "guard" everytime you have company. I don't think so!!!!

I get annoyed just visiting friends that live in those places. Sorry that SoWal has stooped to the level of "gates".

You can see why my handle is "OT". I really do like the old days.

No gates at the PINK house. We'll be there Thursday night for Granny's Christmas Party. Can't wait!!!

Oldtimer

Beach Lover
Nov 16, 2004
Mississippi Bound
Mermaid said:
Oldtimer, how is Granny doing?

Granny (aka Mama Sis, the Queen) is doing much, much better. She is really looking forward to our family party. After a thorough inspection by the Mayo Clinic staff she was found to be "well" and we are so thankful. Now we just have to keep her spirits up.

Hope you and M'man are staying warm. Stop by and visit us anytime!

Happy Holidays. :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Great news about Mama Sis- hope y'all have a great Christmas!

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Oldtimer said:
Granny (aka Mama Sis, the Queen) is doing much, much better. She is really looking forward to our family party. After a thorough inspection by the Mayo Clinic staff she was found to be "well" and we are so thankful. Now we just have to keep her spirits up.

Hope you and M'man are staying warm. Stop by and visit us anytime!

Happy Holidays. :D

Oh, I'm so glad! We'll be back to the beach the day after Christmas, so we will certainly pay you a Holiday call.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I've seen it cited that if you take two like neighborhoods with the same income and SES levels, one gated and one not, that crime rates in the gated neighborhood are the same as the ungated neighborhood.