• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Who is it that is complaining about the"noise"? :dunno:

I just saw this on WJHG, here is their story:

Some Walton County homeowners along 30-A say nighttime noise has gotten so loud they can't sleep.
Earlier this month we met with the neighbors who claimed restaurants hosting live bands were breaking the law by violating the area's noise ordinance, but musicians have a different story.

grant blackwell

Beach Comber
Aug 21, 2007
Noise readings

F.Y.I
we do hourly decibel readings from up to 1/2 a mile away. WE HAVE NEVER EXCEEDED the limit, but still the manager went to jail.

Exactly when did you take these readings? Law enforcement insists that you have completely ignored past warnings and thus the action, a young inocent man went to jail. You owe this young man an appology and pay his costs..

If you are within the law, quit whining about it and fight it...

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I have yet to hear ANY music while driving along 30-A w/ my car windows open besides the Amavida and Seaside open-air concerts.

There are plenty of other NOISES I hear - barking dogs, squeaky brakes, loud car radios a-thumpin', motorcycles rumbling, squirrels and birds, teenagers fighting w/ their significant others, feral cat fights, sirens..........

Once again I am recommending foam earplugs (and maybe a heaping helping of prunes) for those having 'trouble sleeping' rather than ruining it for everyone.

rajs4

Beach Lover
Aug 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I have yet to hear ANY music while driving along 30-A w/ my car windows open besides the Amavida and Seaside open-air concerts.

There are plenty of other NOISES I hear - barking dogs, squeaky brakes, loud car radios a-thumpin', motorcycles rumbling, squirrels and birds, teenagers fighting w/ their significant others, feral cat fights, sirens..........

Once again I am recommending foam earplugs (and maybe a heaping helping of prunes) for those having 'trouble sleeping' rather than ruining it for everyone.

Scooter, check out this article:

30A residents complain about noisy musicians

Comments 19 | Recommend 1

October 8, 2008 - 2:37PM
Kimberly White
Daily News
SANTA ROSA BEACH - Musicians gotta make a living, but people also gotta sleep.

That's the crux of an argument that has erupted between local musicians and the families who live close to the venues where they play, such as the Salty Dog Saloon and Pandora's on Walton County Road 30A.

Read the rest of it here:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/dog_11766___article.html/salty_music.html

Destinbarkeep

Beach Comber
Feb 20, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Thug Squad

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. The County has a noise ordinance, but doesn't have the equipment (or know how to use it) to know if the bar is in violation, so the mere existence of a complaint and a police officer's subjective opinion that the music is too loud results in an innocent bar manager being arrested. Can you say "civil law suit." I understand that this has not been a one-time incident. Now, ANY complaint results in the police showing up at the Salty Dog and looking to arrest someone for "disturbing the peace." What country is this?

upstatefl

Beach Comber
Jan 16, 2008
Exactly when did you take these readings? Law enforcement insists that you have completely ignored past warnings and thus the action, a young inocent man went to jail. You owe this young man an appology and pay his costs..

If you are within the law, quit whining about it and fight it...

:boxing:

That's the idea

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
This whole thing stinks to high heaven. The County has a noise ordinance, but doesn't have the equipment (or know how to use it) to know if the bar is in violation, so the mere existence of a complaint and a police officer's subjective opinion that the music is too loud results in an innocent bar manager being arrested. Can you say "civil law suit." I understand that this has not been a one-time incident. Now, ANY complaint results in the police showing up at the Salty Dog and looking to arrest someone for "disturbing the peace." What country is this?

The county does have the equipment and people who know how to use it. They just do not work for the SO. They work in code enforcement.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
and my guess is that Code Enforcement only works until 5 p.m.?:lolabove:....or maybe it's 4 p.m. for the County.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Who is it that is complaining about the"noise"? :dunno:

You're out of town, but they showed a bunch of the most bitter looking people on Earth on the news last night. All scowling and looking in desperate need of something to do discussing the noise ordinance with a Sheriff's Deputy. Basically it looked like a bunch of people that didn't have anything to do, anything to do the next day, and are in desperate need of a knitting class all complaining because they forget to take out their hearing aides before going to bed.

and my guess is that Code Enforcement only works until 5 p.m.?:lolabove:....or maybe it's 4 p.m. for the County.

They do work until 5, that's the big issue, no night or weekend hours. IIRC you can be as loud as you want to be during the day.