• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Only 3 days into the season, and already people are leaving crap all over the Beach. I've seen cigarette butts, dog poop, perma tents, beer cans, beer bottles, plastic bottles, plastic shovels and buckets, orange army men, inflatable swimming pools, etc. If I had a dump truck and a loader, I would have cleaned up much more than I did.

Please help keep our beaches clean. If you cannot haul your poop off the Beach at the end of the day, perhaps you should reconsider how much crap you should bring. If people keep this up, I will take action. Consider yourself warned.

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Good for you for cleaning up what you could! :clap_1: Half again as much was probably buried and you couldn't see it to get it. A lot of that crap gets blown back in and ends up in a trash layer on the bottom about 40'-60' down offshore. A hurricane will cover it up and then another will uncover it years later. We did a dive off the naval air station after Charlie went through to check conditions and we found a really old coke bottle and tons of stuff that didn't decompose that were exposed by the wave action. It looked a lot like a underwater landfill got dredged up. I hope the trench wasn't used for a landfill back in the day. I could see it happening with it being that close to land, but I pray not. There's no way to stop beach littering that hasn't been tried before except flaying the offenders with man-o-war tentacles. :bang:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I think/hope that people who find their way to this board are with the program.

I believe most people are conscientious about cleaning up their area, but with kids your area becomes the whole beach. The easy availability of cheap grab bags of brightly colored plastic beach toys is a problem. Some people seem to think the toys are disposable, and that if left scattered about, some other kids will get to play with them - like they're doing a good deed by "sharing". Or maybe there gets to be so many scattered about, that knowing whose is whose is confusing so they don't worry about it.

Then you have some stuff like the "camp" I saw decorated with balloons. The ballons were blowing away, or later they were popped and scattered on the beach.

The number of cig butts is alarming. I would like to see the people who leave all the butts I pick up have to swallow them. Ketchup would be allowed. :lol:

Last edited:

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Last time I was down, I sat down next to a pile of buffalo wing bones. How nice!

FoX

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
off the beach
www.thesimpsons.com
A reminder that leaving tents, chairs, toys, or any other items on the beach overnight is unsafe, illegal, and rude. Even if you think you have secured your stuff, overnight storms will scatter it, people will trip over it, and can cause injury or death to humans and sea creatures.

Fill in holes dug in the sand!!!

sue

Beach Comber
Nov 15, 2004
I think SOME people put up tents because they see Grayton as a nice, small, safe community.And, they see others who have been coming here for years putting tents up year after year. It is rude to knowingly let your tent blow away in a storm, leaving poles and covering all over the beach. It is rude to smoke and throw the butts in the sand where you know others are walking and playing.It is rude to drive your big truck on the beach and not watch for small children playing. It is rude to let your dog poop on the beach and not clean it up-- I don't necessarily think it is RUDE to come down as a Grayton newbie and put up a tent-some people just think that this is the way that it is done in a small community. Uneducated does not necessarily mean rude--but , the question of the day--Does rude mean uneducated??? Do law enforcement officials help "educate"??

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
kurt said:
I think/hope that people who find their way to this board are with the program.
Unfortunately, you're right, so this is all preaching to the choir. Maybe you need to start another board specifically for the cigarette-butt-heads. Not sure the best way to go about attracting that audience, though.

For those of you that like to set good examples, picking up the occasional piece of trash, tsk-tsking loudly while shaking your head, and dropping it in a handy beach-side trash bag will at least make you feel slightly superior, if not better.

Aside from other folk's miscellaneous trash, for which I gladly use the beach-side trash bags, I promote a pack-it-in, pack-it-out philosophy. Most people must do the same or those bags would fill to overflowing on an hourly basis, so thanks to everyone that does take their trash off the beach with them.

And by the way, the public dune walk-overs are not the temporary storage sheds many people seem to think they are.

Last edited:

sue

Beach Comber
Nov 15, 2004
While we are on the subject of trash, and since most of us are "on board"-could we add-
PLEASE help clean up after July 4th!!!

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I have always subscribed to the old Florida tourism slogan - "leave only footprints." Put your cans back in the cooler. Put your butts in a can and throw it all away in the trash cans located by each and every public beach access in Walton county. It's really not that hard.

As far as leaving stuff overnight, if it's just a tent or rented beach service items, then that should not be a problem. Really, it's just common sense.

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
I thought I was reading about PC Beach for a minute, then it hit me... You are talking about Sowal. If the type of trash you're mentioning is filtering in then there is definitely one thing we can all do. Is everyone ready? ONE....TWO....THREE....

Add $500k to all available property

I thought it was getting high enough....but obviously not

Status
Not open for further replies.