• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I am on my way to the WCSO to turn myself in for a warrant that was issued from the night Blueground Undergrass played at Salty Dog. I granted an interview about the assault with a deadly weapon issue that happened Friday night when I was attacked with a knife by someone from the Gulfview Heights neighborhood, to ch 7. I was told it would air at 6 PM and /or 10 PM.
Stan a/k/a/ Mater Bandit

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Keep an ear to the ground regarding a legal defense fund to defend the managers. They don't have money to defend themselves, yet they are charged by the neighbors. More news happening sometime today...

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
... i had the misfortune of sleeping at our son's house in louisville one night that is a couple of doors down from some bars & restaurants. louisville permits these places to stay open until 4 a.m. as you can imagine, i got about an hour of sleep. in my opinion, it isn't reasonable for places to stay open that late, even until 2 a.m.

whether it's reasonable or not, those who choose to live next to/near a bar/venue do so with the knowledge of same. maybe they can't afford to live where there's no bar. the municipality gave the bar owner a license to operate, and the state gave them the license to sell liquor. many people are suffering due to those who want to change the status quo.

kurt, does this mean we won't get to see any more of nathan's informed posts?

Last edited:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
for those who work late hours and want to find music and drink, i'm sure there are various establishments open in non-residential areas. the developers were permitted to place subdivisions near the businesses (that is, if those businesses were there first and permitting music at late hours at that time), and it is only common sense that residents would not be able to sleep if music and loud noise coming from a parking lot were permitted in the middle of the night. this is not about one side getting their way if their way is totally unfair to the other side - it is about compromise. my son has also suffered damage to his home, his car and has had to put up with broken bottles on his lawn, drunk people urinating on his lawn, etc. his house is 107 years old so i bet his house was there first, huh? i'm not saying that these things were going on at the salty dog but you can't deny that these actions happen because people are drinking too much for too long into the morning. it's difficult to believe something cannot be worked out between the parties. certainly, there is absolutely no excuse for the nearby resident's attack.

drivingtheview

Beach Lover
Oct 17, 2005
Please allow this old dog to rest for a little while.

Wow! Sad to hear about these events. I used to frequent the original dog and love the new version, especially since it is walking distance from the house. Sounds like some believe that attribute is over rated. I took my young children there because they loved the food and music (to the delight of mom & dad). Hopefully cooler, rational heads prevail and this rest is only a short nap. In the meantime, you will be missed.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
FROM CHANNEL 7:

A dispute between some South Walton homeowners and a nearby nightclub took a more serious turn over the weekend.

The general manager of Salty Dog Saloon on 30-A turned himself in to sheriff's officials this afternoon after he was almost stabbed this weekend, but not before he spoke for our cameras.

Salty Dog Saloon served its last meal Friday after Alabama resident Kenneth Arnett allegedly attempted to stab the establishment's general manger.

Witnesses say Arnett turned violent when management told him he couldn't smoke inside.

Stan Meadows, Salty Dog's General Manager, said, "One of my employees hollered out, 'knife.’ I looked down and had a knife headed toward my stomach. I was able to get the knife away from him, and at that point he told me he was going to get a shotgun and blow my head off."

Stan Meadows believes local homeowners instigated the attack. Meadows met with locals in September who claim the restaurant's music and crowd’s noise disturbed the peace.

Meadows promised to work with the homeowners, but residents say the situation only got worse.

Sandra Luchtefeld, a concerned neighbor, said, "I called Stan on his cell phone. He answered. I told him it was loud. He told me he'd take care of it. Ten minutes later it was even louder."

The homeowners' further complaints led to the arrest two weeks ago of Salty Dog's assistant manager. Then came this weekend's incident.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Kenneth Arnett at a home on Vickie St. Neighbors say this is a rental property and they've never heard of this man before.

Neighbors say they want to make it very clear that they did not encourage Arnett or anyone to hurt Meadows.

"Absolutely not. It's a rental property. I don't know how he thinks any of us could control the rental property."

But Meadows says it seems odd that the initial noise complaint filed against salty dogs came from the same home Anrett was renting. Meadows says he doesn't understand how the situation got out of hand.

"I really don't know the reason for all of this or why someone did try to kill me or why someone would want to put me out of work."

Meadows was released this afternoon on a charge of breach of the peace. Salty Dog's owner has decided to close the restaurant.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What a crock!!! :angry:

There is absolutely no reason it needed to escalate to this point.

There are a variety of solutions ranging from earplugs to erecting noise buffers/barriers to reduced hours for music to NOT BUYING A HOUSE NEXT TO A BAR.

Instead people turned to violence and caused the closing of a much needed and well liked restaurant and bar.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
There are a lot of critters in the area but the idea of folks getting together to encourage one of them (the critters) to put a knife in a guy is really, really weird. That is a heck of a stretch imo. If there were $ to be made then some sort of arrangement would be reached i.e noise barriers etc..Plus Stan seems to be a code enforcement magnet :lol:. It is all ludicrous if one takes a few steps back.

nathanthebanker

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2007
is this the same property that Satly Dawg's sits on?

10/01/2008 REAL PROP OR MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE
PENDING
[PLAINTIFF=THE BANK OF JACKSON COUNTY
DEFENDANT=BEEBE, JOHN H. DEFENDANT=BEEBE, LORA DIPOMA DEFENDANT=30-A RESTAURANT GROUP, INC. ]
[JUDGE=LAPORTE, W HOWARD]

BEEBE JOHN H.
BANK OF JACKSON COUNTY THE
10/1/2008
LIS PEN
OR 2802
LOTS 1-5 BLK E GULFVIEW HEIGHTS S/D & LOTS 37 & 38 QUAIL RIDGE ESTATES LAKE ADD.

BottleBlonde82

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2008
Blue Mountain
my husband and i looked at the middle house back behind saltys last year. i specifically remember the real estate agent telling us that if the bar ever opened back up, it could be good or bad...depending on the type of people who got the house. We have two young children so not so good for us. However, a single person, roomates or any nightowls may have liked to have a place so close (and with great food and resonable drink prices!) within walking distance....
A lot of things go through your mind when buying/renting a home...location is everything right? you think about being close to the beach, schools, and so on and so forth...not saying they deserve it for being by a bar, i just know that i totally thought it through......
Hopefully things will work out, as the place was originally opened by the owner saying it was a staple in our communnity, and it deserved to be reopened. Best of luck to you in The Lake Place, and we will await the re reopen!:D