• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sue

Beach Comber
Nov 15, 2004
I like your attitude, JB. In general, the "tent people" are not out to get us-we all enjoy Grayton because it is a CLEAN, small, friendly place. Personally, I enjoy walking along the beach and seeing families gathered, vs. rows of blue beach chairs and umbrellas lining the ocean front.
We should do our part to help keep it clean.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
sue said:
I like your attitude, JB. In general, the "tent people" are not out to get us-we all enjoy Grayton because it is a CLEAN, small, friendly place. Personally, I enjoy walking along the beach and seeing families gathered, vs. rows of blue beach chairs and umbrellas lining the ocean front.
We should do our part to help keep it clean.

I think it just boils down to what is, and what is not, practical to break down at the end of every day. The problem comes when people leave not only a tent, but chairs, pails, coolers, floats, etc., all littered around the site. I DO find that objectionable.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
Tough crowd :shock: speaking for some vacationers, we do clean up after ourselves and our kids. I think its just terrible that people would trash up such a beautiful place. We treasure your beach and its surroundings and treat it so. I pick up other peoples trash here in Missouri in our nearby state park and will do the same on your heavinly beaches. we love it there and respect that it is home to many. :love:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Landlocked said:
Last time I was down, I sat down next to a pile of buffalo wing bones. How nice!

That reminds me of the box of squid I found upon leaving only 2 ft from where I had been sitting. It was lost in the Sargassum.

(Kurt, I too, hope that the users of this Board do the right thing. I am trying to straighten out the few bad apples, who may occaisonally peek in.)

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Georgian said:
I thought I was reading about PC Beach for a minute, then it hit me... You are talking about Sowal. If the type of trash you're mentioning is filtering in then there is definitely one thing we can all do. Is everyone ready? ONE....TWO....THREE....

Add $500k to all available property

I thought it was getting high enough....but obviously not

I don't understand. :dunno:
Surely, you are not suggesting that wealthy people are more conscientious than poor. If you are, shame on you. I have been blessed with the meeting of a diverse large number people on this earth, and I have quickly learned that one's income level or wealth does not make a person who he or she is. I could begin to rattle off many stories to prove my point, but I will refrain.

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
JB & Sue...I guess you leave your tents up overnight? If it's convenient to haul off do it. If not it's OK? For those of us who enjoy an early beach walk the open sand sure looks better than tents. Go to a campsite if you want to leave your tents up overnight. Grayton Beach State Park has some nice ones.

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
Smiling JOe
I agree that a person's wealth does not make them who they are but it seems that on average those who have higher incomes/wealth have greater appreciation/respect/consideration for the finer things (like Sowal beaches).

I know this is not always the case but I think it is mostly the case.

Is there a garbage problem in the Hamptons?

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Georgian said:
JB & Sue...I guess you leave your tents up overnight? If it's convenient to haul off do it. If not it's OK? For those of us who enjoy an early beach walk the open sand sure looks better than tents. Go to a campsite if you want to leave your tents up overnight. Grayton Beach State Park has some nice ones.

I never said that, so don't draw assumptions about me. Perhaps if you read more closely, you would see that my preference is for people to "leave only footprints." I was talking about people who may be in a gulf-front home for an entire week, utilizing the same spot on the beach every day.

Perhaps you should also direct your anger at the beach service companies, who leave chairs/umbrellas in the same spot for weeks on end. Honestly, what is the difference between that and a tent?

Georgian

Beach Comber
Feb 27, 2005
If someone (not you of course) is staying at a gulf-front home there is less reason to leave a tent out overnight.......unless they're lazy. Maybe we could all leave our garbage and other stuff in one spot(the one we use all week) and we could just clean it at one convenient time just before we leave.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
Is there a garbage problem in the Hamptons?

Probably not because they most likely pay someone to clean up for them.

Yes, there are some of us that are not wealthy but are still very conscientious regarding the beach. I do believe some tourists are just ignorant in regards to not filling in holes and leaving things on the beach overnight. Hopefully some will read this thread and SoWal beaches will benefit from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.