• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3665398

But it seems at least one player Hicks-upped:

"Georgia is a game that everybody knowingly wants on our team," linebacker Brandon Hicks said last month. "Everybody wants that game back. It feels like we have something to prove to the world. They came out and everybody thinks they intimidated us. We didn't play good after the stunt they did.

"That's pretty much the team that everybody wants on their list."

The whole thing started when Knowshon Moreno leapt into the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown midway through the first quarter. All of his teammates, about 70 of them, quickly surrounded him and started jumping up and down in unison and celebrating wildly.

The Gators just watched, stunned by the brazen Bulldogs.

Go Dawgs!

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
Still in their heads

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2008/10/winner-of-flori.html

Why are Florida fans, players and coaches so mad at Georgia coach Mark Richt for telling his players to excessively celebrate after the Bulldogs scored their first touchdown in last year's 42-30 victory over the Gators?

Florida's players are clearly still upset about Georgia's players swarming the field and getting an unsportsmanlinke conduct penalty following the Bulldogs' first touchdown in the first quarter last year. Why else would they refuse to talk about it after the victory over Kentucky Saturday. And although Florida coach Urban Meyer says now that the situation is "old news", he made his real feelings known in his recently released book -- Urban's Way -- written with one of my sportswriting friends Buddy Martin.

"That wasn't right," Meyer said in the book. "It was a bad deal. It will forever be in the mind of Urban Meyer and in the mind of our football team. We'll handle it and it's going to be a big deal."

And this is exactly why Gator Nation should be grateful to Richt just like I am: Because he's managed to make this game a big deal again.

Richt has since apologized for the move, but I don't think he has anything to be sorry about. I've said it once and I'll say it again: It was a brilliant coaching move that not only turned around Georgia's season, but may have rejuvenated Richt's entire coaching tenure at Georgia.

It also put some much-needed juice back into a once-raucous rivalry that had grown stale and mundane.

For that and that alone, I'd like to thank Mark Richt.

And so should Georgia AND Florida fans.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is going to be a very, very interesting game. Both teams playing really well right now.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Bush League

richt-hair.gif

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
No Fun When Dogs, Gators Refuse to Talk

From Mark Bradley of the AJC:

Georgia?s celebration, which didn?t go according to Richt?s script and for which it was penalized twice and for which he keeps apologizing, is the single smartest thing he has done as a coach. It changed the dynamics of a series that, from the Bulldog perspective, was past due for a change. It served its purpose leading into last season?s game, turning his team?s focus from the usual Jacksonville gloom and doom to something brighter ? how are we going to celebrate? ? and it has become the gift that keeps on giving.

Not quite complying with his coach?s gag order, the famous Tim Tebow admitted to the Orlando Sentinel that the Gators have a photo of the dancing Dogs in their locker room. Think about that: A team that won the 2006 BCS title is concerned with the team that, until 2007, was its personal doormat. And the run-up to this year?s game will be dominated by one line of discussion:

How will the Gators respond? Have they planned something themselves? What if Georgia springs a new ?spontaneous? display? Does Urban Meyer have a counter-counter-celebration in his famous playbook? And will Tebow and Co. be so bent on vengeance that they forget to execute those famous plays?