• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
AOL reported these numbers this morning. It must be better here, isn't it???

These are cities, the number of properties listed and their total sales last month.

Las Vegas ----39,688----- 3
Chicago -------26,519----- 1
Atlanta --------24,761----- 1
Miami ----------23,985----- 1
Orlando -------20,185----- 3
Tampa --------17,924----- 5
Phoenix -------16,351----- 2
Cleveland ----12,308----- 2
Denver --------11,147----- 3

Last edited:

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Not to doubt you, AA, but certainly more than ONE home sold in Miami last month?? ONE in Atlanta?? I just don't see how that can be possible. Source?

Not to doubt you, AA, but certainly more than ONE home sold in Miami last month?? ONE in Atlanta?? I just don't see how that can be possible. Source?

Great question. I doubt the information myself, which is why I posted. The source for this is AOL news. It was the first article I saw this morning. I don't have a realtors license and am not educated on accessing the MLS in its entirety.

Any Realtors know if this is close to accurate?

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Here's a perspective from NJ. My mom just sold her house in NJ, a little more than an hour from NYC, in a very nice town near the beach. She has owned and lived in this house for more than 50 years. We put the house on the market with a price that was lower than comps in the area that had been on the market for a while, hoping to get it sold quickly. The realtor actually hoped we would get multiple offers and the price would get bid up. After hearing all the doom and gloom about the housing market, we didn't think this would be possible.

A week later we were blown away. We had 6 offers. Yes, that's right, 6 offers. One was above asking, all cash, no inspections. We took that one. That deal fell through a week later when the DOW took a nose dive. We went to the next offer on the list and they actually upped their offer by 5K. Also, all cash, thanks to their parents. We closed yesterday. There is one sold in NJ!

I'm told that large expensive homes in NJ are not selling, but if you have a good house in a good area that is in the price range for new families, the houses are selling.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Price. Price. Price. There are houses in my neighborhood that have been listed for 12-24 months without so much as a 'pending' sign going up for a time. Then a little while back there was an estate property a block over that the heirs just wanted to move relatively quicky. It sold in less than two weeks.

Here's a perspective from NJ. My mom just sold her house in NJ, a little more than an hour from NYC, in a very nice town near the beach. She has owned and lived in this house for more than 50 years. We put the house on the market with a price that was lower than comps in the area that had been on the market for a while, hoping to get it sold quickly. The realtor actually hoped we would get multiple offers and the price would get bid up. After hearing all the doom and gloom about the housing market, we didn't think this would be possible.

A week later we were blown away. We had 6 offers. Yes, that's right, 6 offers. One was above asking, all cash, no inspections. We took that one. That deal fell through a week later when the DOW took a nose dive. We went to the next offer on the list and they actually upped their offer by 5K. Also, all cash, thanks to their parents. We closed yesterday. There is one sold in NJ!

I'm told that large expensive homes in NJ are not selling, but if you have a good house in a good area that is in the price range for new families, the

houses are selling.

I had lots of luck in NJ as well. We sold 3 properties in a week when getting ready to move to Sowal.

They have a very different economy there serving the densest population of any State in the union. Add in Philadelphia, NYC within an hour and it's real different.

They have bigger waves if you surf, but the beach sure isn't like Sowal's.

Joe Mammy

Beach Lover
Mar 26, 2007
JoeMammy sez never trust anything you read on AOL.

In Destin (areas 14 and 15) we saw 43 single family home sales in the month of September:
http://ecarmls.com/EmeraldReports/listings.asp?ID=4915554068

Toss in 42 more condo sales:
http://ecarmls.com/EmeraldReports/listings.asp?ID=4915554069

And 6 townhomes or attached:
http://ecarmls.com/EmeraldReports/listings.asp?ID=4915554070

For a total of 91 sales in area 14 and 15 in Sept....

Sounds like Sowal did better than the other cities mentioned.

Do you know if those stats. were correct for any of the cities mentioned in the AOL piece?