• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bloomcreatives

Beach Comber
Jul 4, 2008
www.bloomcreatives.com
Wow Jim, you must be one of the people with the Sheriff's office on speed dial.

I brought up the cop's age because he was obviously a rookie and had no idea what he was doing - a seasoned officer would have handled the situation very differently, and rightly so. A seasoned officer would have, oh, I don't know, maybe known what the law was, first of all. And he also would have gotten out of his car and asked politely to speak with someone, not threatened anyone, not raised his voice when no one gave him reason to.

And he did, in fact, threaten arrest immediately. We have over three dozen witnesses who heard it.

The time is extremely relevant. The noise ordinance has a time for a reason. People are allowed to enjoy themselves, you know. It was a reasonable hour, and it's not as if we were blasting AC/DC to get a Central American dictator out of his mansion.

It is not, in fact, a mistake to post the photo. He was standing on the street, which was public property, therefore he has no expectation of privacy. I myself am a photographer. I know the law (which is more than we can say for the police officer in question).

I am not just some visitor throwing money around. If you read my post, you would see that I said my family has lived in the area for over a decade, owns property, votes, pays taxes, and helps run two businesses in the area, one of which is extraordinarily important to the economy of Grayton Beach.

We were not having a rave, for crying out loud. It was a wedding. And it was not a random Sunday night - it was a holiday weekend, which we purposely picked because we knew people would have Monday off. The number of people is very relevant - it was not a large, boisterous party and we were not breaking any occupancy laws, either.

If you chose to stretch your critical thinking skills, you would understand that I brought up my father's age and profession for two reasons: one, to demonstrate that he was not a threat - is a 67-year-old man really a physical threat to a 20-year-old in peak physical shape? I mentioned his profession as a demonstration that as someone who worked in public safety for 20 years, he is respectful of others who do so. Sadly, in this case that respect was not given back to any of us.

He visited the station the next day to discuss the situation with the officer on duty because the officer is in dire need of people skills. There was absolutely no reason for him to behave the way he did, to talk to us the way he did, to threaten us the way he did, and that's without even getting into the fact that we were not breaking any laws or ordinances. If you went to the grocery store and the cashier was a jerk to you, I am quite sure you would complain to his manager.

Please remember that your local economy depends on those "spoiled visitors" who spend their hard-earned money renting your beach houses, paying for bonfire permits, buying their drinks at Red Bar, eating their sushi at Basmati's, renting their beach chairs and umbrellas from that awesome guy at the end of Defuniak Street, and drinking their morning coffee at Miss Lucille's. Sorry if you don't like it, but that's life in a resort town. That is not to say that you are at the beck and call of the tourists, but if they stop coming, your entire economy dries up. Not everyone in the area is independently wealthy, Jim. Perhaps it would do you good to remember your neighbors who own businesses who depend on those "spoiled tourists" to put food in their kid's mouths.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know what happened. Take it as you will.

Last edited:

ozbeachmom

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2007
Kansas/miramar beach
Actually, the time you are making noise doesn't matter. People have a right to peaceful enjoyment of their property no matter what time it is. It probably wouldn't be a problem though if you keep the noise level to an acceptable level. Grayton Beach's tolerance for noise is low.

Tolerance for noise is lower on Sunday, especially in the offseason. The number of guests is irrelevant. The march you mention is about a noise issue. Citizens and the lawmen are more sensitive at the moment.

Why do you mention how old he looked? It makes you sound contemptuous and a little petty. I seriously doubt he threatened arrest within one minute, unless he was responding to an affront, even then it's unlikely even for a rookie. Your husband's response was very disrespectful and insulting in my book, implying that the officer is a child. If he had replied with something reasonable like, "we're wrapping it up now sir, I'll hurry them up", he would probably have left. Whether the officer was polite or not is irrelevant and he's trying to do a job whether you like it or not.

Your father should have kept his distance. Approaching after there has already been contact could be felt as threatening.

It's not relevant how old your father is, whether he's a nice guy, where he owns property, or where he worked.

Really? Raise a stink? What's the point?

This makes you sound like many of the spoiled visitors who come here and think that because you have a lot of money and pump it into us you can do what you want. What do sea turtles have to do with party noise?
You should consider not moving here if such a small incident has made you so angry. You need to be more laid back to live at the beach. One day the "rude cop" could be a funny part of your wedding day story if you would just lighten up.

A little dramatic don't you think?

I am certain it would be a mistake to post a photo if it identifies the officer. If you really can't drop the issue you should do it like an adult. Take it to the Sheriff's office.

Are you the police officer in question?? From your post it sounds like it!

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
Whether the officer was polite or not is irrelevant and he's trying to do a job whether you like it or not.

This is absolutely not true. My father was a police officer for 35 years, and this is a subject I have heard about time and time again.

The officer was approaching a gathering of adults, in a residential area, and should have started off with civility, not threats. Did he feel as though he had to take control immediately in order to prevent the mob from becoming violent? If so, he showed poor judgment.

I agree with whoever said that the 30-A patrol ought to be a cherry one - one that you have to work your way up to.

Like it or not, this is a tourist area and requires different skills on the part of law enforcement to insure that we keep the peace, but do not kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Putting a rookie with a bad temper on the Grayton Beach complaint was an error on the part of management.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
Just ignore Jim45, bloomcreatives. The majority of locals (at least those that have moved here from somewhere else) sincerely appreciate our visitors. It is posters like Jim45 that use words like "spoiled visitors" that make our area look bad - probably a long time resident with a bone to pick (obviously) and - let me be the first to point out to you - there are fewer and fewer of them as more level headed people transplant here and seek out and band together with the level headed long time residents and together are transforming this area into an incredible destination for full timers, part timers and visitors. We are sorry that incident happened. Give us another chance.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
People need to get some perspective on the noise ordinance and what being a good neighbor means - a wedding on a holiday weekend night that plans its band's schedule to cut off all noise by 10 pm should not be getting harassed by the police.

Absolute silence 24/7 is not a realistic expectation in most areas of the globe, let alone in an active and social community.

joebob

Beach Comber
Aug 4, 2008
da ham
Jim --- did you forget to take your meds again today ---methinks you need to lighten up a wee bit bro ----- wish I could have been at the wedding party ---- call me when ya'll renew the vows in 5 years Bloomie----JE

Jychf

Beach Lover
Jan 10, 2008
SRB
Seriously Jim. Protect and Serve, not intimidate and threaten.

A wedding party with 40 witnessess in a well to do area chaperoned and represented by a retired NYFD. It's not a stretch to guess what the Sherriff's Officers are doing to those who don't appear able to assert their Civil Rights.

Local's are routinely abused by LEO's. Not all, but there are LEO's who turn a blind eye to abuses every day.

I want to hear from a Walton County LEO who can say they know nothing of abuses of any other officers.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
A wedding party with 40 witnessess in a well to do area chaperoned and represented by a retired NYFD. It's not a stretch to guess what the Sherriff's Officers are doing to those who don't appear able to assert their Civil Rights.

Local's are routinely abused by LEO's. Not all, but there are LEO's who turn a blind eye to abuses every day.

I want to hear from a Walton County LEO who can say they know nothing of abuses of any other officers.

Very, very true...:bang: