• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Did anyone see the article in today's Times "Escape" section about Seaside? Along the lines of trouble in paradise, etc. Mostly deals with the aftermath of storms/beach erosion, traffic, maintenance costs, and out-of-reach property values. I can tell you why we did not buy at Seaside, in spite of having stayed at their Honeymoon Cottages on several occasions. First, the traffic on 30A, which would only get worse with time. Second, we felt that maintenance and amenities at Seaside translated into what would become ever-escalating homeowners association dues which we would have no control over. Third, we were singularly unimpressed with how the properties were managed for rental purposes at the time we were buying.

On the "plus" side, I think the Seaside new urban design really set a tone for excellence in future South Walton developments. It put the area on the map in terms of attracting an international recognition and following. And I think (most of) the homes are definitely safer from the ravages of storms by virtue of their setbacks from the water's edge. The price they pay, of course, is absence of direct beach access and lack of Gulf views, in most instances. And we did not want a beach house that did not at least have a nice view of the Gulf, if not direct access.

The article goes on to say that sales are absolutely flat in the area now. This is to be expected in the aftermath of such a well publicized 2005 hurricane season. But I also believe that the hugely escalated prices of real estate (such as the $5M to $7M costs of Seaside homes) has simply priced many people out of the market, particularly when you consider that these are second homes for most. Combine this with increased interest rates, increased property taxes, and the uncertainty of insurance hikes and you have a very nervous potential buyer. Rental income nicely offsets a mortgage of under $1M, but becomes a non-factor for a property priced much higher.

Interested in knowing what some of the Seaside owners think about this???

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
I read that article, too. Do you think they could have used less attractive photos? :sosad: I thought it was a bit of a downer. What happened to Seaside over its 25 years happens to many a place that becomes a victim of its own popularity. Look at Provence, France, after Peter Mayle's books. Or Tuscany after Francis Mayes'. Previously unspoiled places of wonder overrun with tourists and irrevocably changed.

I agreed with the author on several points--I thought a few of the rentals we stayed at in Seaside needed some TLC, too, and I hate the new aluminum stairs to the beach and Seaside's slow response in getting the accesses repaired. And the traffic is a nightmare, though the rest of 30-A can hold its own in that respect. That's not unique to Seaside by any means. But I do think the author gave a unreasonably negative slant about what our beaches look like. They obviously haven't looked at any of Kurt's photos post-hurricane season! Sure the beach is a bit beat-up, but there's a natural beauty that somehow the author overlooked, that no hurricane could destroy.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
I was a bit disapointed with the article as well, particularly since the author called me in the last 2 months to discuss the mood in town. He was a long time visiter to Seaside and indicated he loved the area, but was a bit surprised to see the beach late this summer when it was at it's worst. Looking at it today you cannot deny the positive power of nature. My personal view is that his article is a few months late.

As far as Seaside goes, we were long time visitors until buying a lot and building in 2003-2004. For us it was a shocking amount of money for a tiny plot of sand. But we love the area, town feel, beaches, arts, etc. and our main reason for buying there was we felt it was the best investment of any of the 30-A beach properties. (longevity, name recognition, etc.) So far it has exceeded my wildest expectations. :clap_1:

I will be the first to say that in any town setting there is politics, and service issues. Seaside is no different. But every time I am there visiting all that seems to melt away. I would think it was a gret investment even if was worth what I paid for it and I look forward to every visit.

As far as gulf views, we are back around Forest St.and have gulf views from our 3rd floor and tower, so Seaside positioning on the beach has not been a problem. I just think it was additional forsight by Robert Davis to build behind the dunes instead of on top at the time.

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
kurt said:
Traffic is far, far, far from nightmare status here. :roll:

I agree Kurt. This was the first summer where we spent time at the beach, and while it was busy, it was not nearly as bad as I was expecting along 30-A.

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
kurt said:
Traffic is far, far, far from nightmare status here. :roll:
Unless you are trying to get thru the 2 absolutely stupid stop signs in Rosemary Beach in July.