• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
On a good day, one acre may give you about 100-125 parking spaces, or 8 single family lots. Those lots would probably be at $500K minimum each. So you can park about 100 cars or take $4M in profit. What would most developers do?

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
On a good day, one acre may give you about 100-125 parking spaces, or 8 single family lots. Those lots would probably be at $500K minimum each. So you can park about 100 cars or take $4M in profit. What would most developers do?

Well, of course a true developer would take the $4 million. And, a true artist would park the 100 cars (or ban or limit cars entirely) impeding the attainment of its visionary goal. A developer deeply commited to aesthetics might settle for $2 million and a slightly less than perfect, although improved, vista. But (and I am not saying Seaside has done this) you cannot take the $4 million while positing yourself as a true artist if your vision is suffering. All that stuff about serving God and mammon...

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
The article also speculated that Seaside is thinking of going to valet parking. Am I the only person in CA who thinks valet parking is ridiculous and for people with no legs? But in Seaside's defense, remember that they offer shopping, recreation, and restaurants for a much wider area and were there for us long before there were scattered commercial uses in other 30A communities. We have taken advantage of their amenities, evening concerts and programs, art festivals, and other activities all these years without having to pay for it as Seaside homeowners do. So a few autos and SUVs are not a terrible price to pay. Look on the bright side...if they keep making those SUVs bigger each year, we'll soon be able to see under the carriages! :clap_1:

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
When Seaside was first built, there were no SUVs as we know them today. There were no cell phones plastered on everyone's ear. There were no Blackberrys/Ipods/Laptops in everyone's hands. The main draw was the beach, and I believe the vision was that design would carry the day and enhance the beach experience. Prosperity and technology have changed everything. I, for one, have always thought it was Old Grayton which should have been the benchmark for 30A, not a cleaned-up version of Nantucket by the Gulf. Grayton's layout is not profitable given exploding real estate values, and given the density in Seaside, it is a crowded, stressful place in peak season.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I agree with Bob on the foresight of SUVs. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, who would ever think that the auto of the future would be a farm truck? Back in those days, people were driving those big family station wagons, soon followed by conversion vans. Now that I think about it, weren't those just as big?

In my opinion, the only way to do away with cars at the beach is to illiminate the people. :D;-)

Bluznbeach

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
www.davidsswan.com
In general, I think the article tried to make a mountain from a couple of molehills. It's true that the place gets congested at times, but it's still possible to take a nice bike ride around Seaside and the nearby sections of 30A, as my wife and I did on our last visit. I'd also be very surprised if the real estate market doesn't pick up by spring. Some say it's starting already. And of course, even a bad day at the beach is better than a good day anywhere else! :clap_1:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
I remember Seaside when it was pleasant and beautiful--now it has essentially turned into the PCB of SoWal. The answer to the parking problem is so very simple--a 26 story high-rise parking garage...problem solved.

It seems as if SoWal is taking a beating from all sides...first it's the NYT and now a huge photo on the front page of the Sunday NW Florida Daily news of the row of beachfront houses with their seawalls stating, "WELCOME TO SOUTH WALL-TOWN." :roll:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Not that I wish it on anyone, but if all the beach homes were to wash away, I would still have what I came here for.;-)

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
Smiling JOe said:
I agree with Bob on the foresight of SUVs. Back in the late 70's and early 80's, who would ever think that the auto of the future would be a farm truck? Back in those days, people were driving those big family station wagons, soon followed by conversion vans. Now that I think about it, weren't those just as big?

In my opinion, the only way to do away with cars at the beach is to illiminate the people. :D;-)
Those 70s sleds were huge, but I bet if you look up sales figures for wagons they are nowhere near total SUV sales. Wagons were essentially female driven suburban transportation. Contrast that with SUVs, and you'll see every age/ gender behind the wheels of these vision-blocking beasts. One hand on the wheel, and the other on the cell phone riding just below the clouds. Detroit bet the farm on these rigs, and now they're in the give away mode. I hate to see our domestic auto manufacturers take another huge hit just as happened after the first energy crisis. If we had to choose between oil rigs off the Florida coast or SUVs what would we do???????????

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Bob said:
Detroit bet the farm on these rigs, and now they're in the give away mode. I hate to see our domestic auto manufacturers take another huge hit just as happened after the first energy crisis. If we had to choose between oil rigs off the Florida coast or SUVs what would we do???????????

How about using renewable fuel sources instead of big oil? That is a viable option. On top of that, we could reduce the unnecessisary wasteful plastic packaging that comes wrapped around every single item for sale these days. Ditch the plastic bags that are so freely distributed at every store. The little things make much difference. :D