• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I bet you can run the power line jeep trail to gain entry to the bike trail. On the map, it sure looks like that one trail head stops at Cassine.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
EASTLK.jpg

SpaDaze

Beach Crab
Jul 10, 2005
Saratoga Springs/SRB
Two years ago I biked the less traveled paths to the east of 395 and came out on 30A, just to the left of Collaborations (as you face it). I believe it runs past the Cassine Village access. Don't know if it's still there or not?

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Well I did this trail or at least parts of it today and was not overwhelmed. Actually, if you go on the nature trail right west of Watersound you appear to be able to get on it. Also, behind the power plant.

Problem is, if what I was on is the bike trail (and from the map above I was) it is very poorly marked. Some spots appeared overgrown and not able to be ridden other than with pure off-road bikes, if even that. Some stumps, etc. (around the 6-8 mile markers). Some heavy sand in areas. Wear boots and long pants (as I did).

I will confess to having absolutely no clue where I was going most of the time, and did go in a 4 mile circle once, making me wonder whether or not I was on the Blair Witch bike trail. Also, I went without map or compass or cell phone, with only a little water and not telling anyone where I was going, giving a creepy feeling to the morning.

Good points to it. Scenery is nice but pretty much the same all over t least where I went. Very isolated and a nice antidote to the pavement and busyness of 30A, if I could figure out how to get from point A to point B (which, of course, would require bringing the freaking map!)

Maybe some other time I will try entering from 395 to see if the trail makes more sense from that direction. I kept on feeling like I wasn't getting something.

So, like Brazilian barbeque or fondue, a pleasant thing to do on a rare occasion, but not something I would like on a regular basis. Could be really fun with a packed lunch and a cute companion, though. Only 1 1/2 stars.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Travel2Much, do you think the path you cycled on might be better suited to walking, perhaps?

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Mermaid said:
Travel2Much, do you think the path you cycled on might be better suited to walking, perhaps?

I went on lots of paths, and it varied. Very much so. Parts I was on were clearly for hiking (the orange trail on the above map, for example, which I was definitely on, since it was (unclearly) marked), or were so unmaintained that if they were for bikes shouldn't be. Others you could bike on quite easily. But, very little was marked or things were often unclear. Lots of "Road 6", "Road 9" signs, which doesn't do anyone any good.

Wouldn't be bad for a long hike at all, but the lack of markers really creeped me out, since I was not expecting that.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Travel2Much said:
Good points to it. Scenery is nice but pretty much the same all over t least where I went. Very isolated and a nice antidote to the pavement and busyness of 30A, if I could figure out how to get from point A to point B (which, of course, would require bringing the freaking map.)

So, like Brazilian barbeque or fondue, a pleasant thing to do on a rare occasion, but not something I would like on a regular basis. Could be really fun with a packed lunch and a cute companion, though. Only 1 1/2 stars.

It's a good thing you mentioned about a map because that jogged my memory, causing me to rifle through my pile of beach brochures that I picked up at the tourist bureau. I found the pamphlet "Eastern Lake Trail System" which has the map, and it would be no trouble at all to fold it into my bike pouch. After your description, I think I will. :razz: