• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
Yes, I bought a pair of gorgeous blue ones from Scavengers on 98 for $50 a piece last year. They were a little higher than that during summer, but in the spring and fall they seem to let them go cheaper. Having shopped a while for them, it seems anything under $99 is a decent deal around here.

soozie58

Beach Lover
May 28, 2005
Atlanta
Jeanne, I actually called them cause it sounded too good and they do have the chairs for $79. Their address is 532 North Lakeshore phone 850.235-8095.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
We had 10 custom-made cypress Adirondacks with marine varnish and $79 worth of stainless steel screws in each chair that were based on a design from Highland Hardware in Atlanta. They lasted a year in the Florida weather. We were so discouraged at their quick demise that we purchased (tacky) resin Adirondacks at Home Depot for $12 a pop. I just don't think that beautiful outdoor furniture has any chance of surviving the brutal climate of the Panhandle. If anyone knows of good-looking, but not outrageously expensive, outdoor furniture that would last long enough for it to be worth the expense, I'd appreciate it. We bought some Adirondacks from a place about a mile or so east of Carillon for $100 each, and the wood started splitting within a month! The person who owns the place told us that they'd last 10 years - LOL.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
We had 10 custom-made cypress Adirondacks with marine varnish and $79 worth of stainless steel screws in each chair that were based on a design from Highland Hardware in Atlanta. They lasted a year in the Florida weather. We were so discouraged at their quick demise that we purchased (tacky) resin Adirondacks at Home Depot for $12 a pop.
My $12 Home Depot plastic Adirondacks have lasted for several years and are still holding strong. I can also stack them and easily move them around.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I didn't buy Adorondak chairs for our front porch because I was concerned about the wood splitting, finish, etc. in the rough weather. Instead, I bought the "fake" wicker furniture and it has held up beautifully for 3 years. I bought some at a pretty expensive place on 98 toward Destin (loveseat and chair) and some very inexpensive ones (cafe table and four chairs) at Home depot. They are both holding up equally well. All I've had to do so far is wash them down (especially the white cafe set) well once or twice a year because they did get a little moldy (hardly noticable) and I probably will need to get new cushions as well (I take off the cushion covers and wash them in the washing machine a few times a year). They're not the same look as Adorondak chairs, but they're very comfortable and long-lasting. Another benefit of the wicker-type chairs is that if someone needs an extra seat inside, they can easily borrow it from the porch (they tend to be pretty lightweight) and would be very comfortable sitting around the living room in it.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Thanks, Paula, for the info. I'm not really fond of the wicker look, but then I'm not really fond of expensive chairs dying in a year or Wal-Mart decor of resin chairs, for that matter - LOL. Maybe I'll try your suggestion next time. BTW if you Google "resin chairs," you'll see that academia is actually doing research on the pervasiveness of resin furniture as a cultural phenomenon - too funny!

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Re: Adirondak chairs

We bought 6 adirondack chairs a couple of small tables and a large oval dining table for our porch at fairly reasonable prices from the "convenience" store at the corner of 30-A and 283 in Grayton Beach. They are very solidly built and stained (any color you choose) and look as good as new after 18 months. No splitting yet and no mildew or mold yet.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
phdphay said:
Thanks, Paula, for the info. I'm not really fond of the wicker look, but then I'm not really fond of expensive chairs dying in a year or Wal-Mart decor of resin chairs, for that matter - LOL. Maybe I'll try your suggestion next time. BTW if you Google "resin chairs," you'll see that academia is actually doing research on the pervasiveness of resin furniture as a cultural phenomenon - too funny!

I actually like the wicker look and feel. They are sooo comfortable - adirondock chairs look great (and we have some in our yard at home) but frankly I don't think they're as comfortable as they look. Our cottages in SoWal are rentals most of the time, so easy-care, comfortable, lightweight, long-lasting furniture is a must. Hmmm, I'll have to check what academics have to say about resin furniture -- a sign of our times that reflects something about US culture in some way I assume.