• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Holiday Meal from the Heart

Sharing a free meal, with peace love, & joy this holiday season!
Please come & join us!
Compartiendo una comida libre, con amor de la paz, & ?alegr?a esta estaci?n de d?a de fiesta! Viene por favor el & ?ens?mblenos!

Date/Fecha: Sunday, December 7
Time/Tiempo: 2pm ? 4pm
Location/Direcci?n: South Walton High School, Santa Rosa Beach
Sponsored by: Great Southern Cafe, Heartworks Kids & Barlovento, LLC

For more info, please contact: TheHeartworksCenter@gmail.com or pm me.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Thanks! Anyone interested in more info on HeartWorks Kids or how to help out with the dinner, please contact me.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Can we have more info here about how people can donate, help, contribute, etc?

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
Can we have more info here about how people can donate, help, contribute, etc?

I am working on an official press release tonight and after it gets cleared, I will post it here. It will have the info about helping out also.

One note: we are having a food drive at WaterColor Publix this Wednesday before Thanksgiving from 1-5pm. If you would like to help, please contact me and I will let you know how. And if you are doing your Thanksgiving shopping, please support us in this cause. We will be providing a dinner for families, but also sending home care packages for the holiday season.

Also, if you know of places that we can post flyers, please contact me and I will get those to you. I am not able to attach it on here for some reason.:dunno:

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
More information on how people can help

Holiday Meal from the Heart
Press Release

Heartworks Kids is teaming with Jim Shirley of Great Southern Caf? and Jane Solomon's contracting company Barlovento, LLC to present "Holiday Meal from the Heart"!! It is our first annual free meal for the community which we are holding on Sunday, December 7 from 2-4pm at South Walton High School. Jane & Jim are providing all the food, and Heartworks Kids are making decorations, providing the manpower to serve and deliver meals, and all of us will be able to share in fellowship with people who need a little help this year. Anyone and everyone is also invited to come and help support this event, they do not need to be a part of one of these organizations. Jim has done amazing philanthropic work in the past and we are humbled and honored to be a part of this.

In addition, we are holding a Heartworks Kids food drive this Wednesday, the 26th of November at the Watercolor Publix from 1-5pm.

The story behind the Holiday Meal
Jane Solomon (of that fabulous new hangout La Botana) approached two members of Heartworks Kids, Lauren Romano & Krista Squiers, with a story about a humbling experience she had through a co-worker at her office in Dothan, AL. It started with a 13 year old boy asking for a can of soup to share with his mother and autistic brother, and turned into divine intervention with Jane and her company adopting this family for the holidays, helping them get set up on food stamps, helping them get set up for aid for the autistic boy, providing them with food, clothes, household items, just beautiful, kind acts from the heart. And this same divine intervention followed Jane back to her home here with us at the beach.

Jane was discussing the hard times with Jim Shirley, who owns Great Southern Cafe in Seaside , and he shared her pain at how many people will not be able to eat over the holidays this year. It's such a magical, beautiful time of year for those of us who have a roof over our heads and food on our plates (even if it's peanut butter & jelly right now for many of us!!), and the thought of not being able to have that is almost too painful to think about.

Heartworks Kids
This is a description by founder Lauren Romano in a recent interview with Jill Gaupin of Sowal Scene.

Heartworks Kids is an opportunity for children and their parents to directly give back to their community in what we call "giving opportunities". The kids are encouraged to share their ideas about possible giving opportunities and it is the parent's role to help bring those ideas to fruition. We have found that adults bring giving opportunities to us as well and, in that circumstance, the children are given the opportunity to brainstorm to find a giving opportunity in those situations.

At Heartworks Kids, we believe children's hearts are pure and full of love. They give unconditionally and with true compassion. Our group fosters this innate ability to give love freely and empowers their spirit. Our goal is to show support and kindness to other's life experiences while consistently challenging our own spiritual and emotional growth, ultimately understanding that we are all connected, we are all one.

The inspiration for Heartworks Kids came from my dear friend Megan McDowell. She had started a women's group called Heartworks in NJ. I had been interested in starting a chapter here in Florida.
The Heartworks mission is for woman to gather together in the spirit of faith and compassion. There are two essential parts to their focus: a commitment to their own spiritual and emotional growth and generating acts of kindness in their community and throughout the world. I loved the idea, but could not seem to commit to starting my own chapter.

I'm a teacher by trade and longed to work with kids again, but still wanted the flexibility to be available to care for my own children. In January of this year I started to write ideas down that would create a kids version of Heartworks. I approached Megan with my thoughts and Heartworks Kids had it's first Meeting April 16th, 2008.

A Meal of Peace, Love & Joy
It's very important that we express this is a Holiday Meal that we are all sharing, not a charity act or feeding the homeless and poor. Some of us could be one of these in need some day, and Heartworks Kids is about illuminating hearts through acts of kindness. We want these people to know that there's nothing wrong with them, and just to feel our open and warm hearts. How could they not with the children everywhere! We'll have decorations, hopefully music, fun...It would be lovely to have a Santa too if anyone can help with that.

For More Information
Please feel free to contact Krista Squiers
(ksquiers@aol.com), Lisa McBride (lmcbride1972@gmail.com), Ali Barrett (alixbarrett@embarqmail.com) or Jane Solomon (jane@barlovento8a.com) if you have any questions. The main email for Heartworks Kids is TheHeartworksCenter@gmail.com.

Event: Holiday Meal from the Heart
Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008
Time: 2-4pm
Place: South Walton High School

Mark Partington

Beach Lover
Dec 10, 2007
walton county
www.flickr.com
This is really very nice & a real inspiration. The 'charity' I like the best isnt a self promotional "event"...but an annonymous effort with spectacular visual results. We've had years where we were wondering where the bead was coming from...builds character; but hard to explain to the wee people.
Youve always been a sweetheart;from the moment I had to jump up & wave at cha.
India is cooking her first thanksgiving chicken w/ some New orleans 'love'(spices) laid to it & she's gotten aot of grandmas recipies.....
If the day works out;& your short handed,we'll see what we can do.(I used to cook in a overcrowded grace-under-pressure restraunt)....I'm also good at lifting impossibly heavy objects & digging holes.
Without a brush...I'm your basic tomato picker...(not a bad vocation in the grand scheme of things)
Thanks
Your really pretty swell
m

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
This is really very nice & a real inspiration. The 'charity' I like the best isnt a self promotional "event"...but an annonymous effort with spectacular visual results. We've had years where we were wondering where the bead was coming from...builds character; but hard to explain to the wee people.
Youve always been a sweetheart;from the moment I had to jump up & wave at cha.
India is cooking her first thanksgiving chicken w/ some New orleans 'love'(spices) laid to it & she's gotten aot of grandmas recipies.....
If the day works out;& your short handed,we'll see what we can do.(I used to cook in a overcrowded grace-under-pressure restraunt)....I'm also good at lifting impossibly heavy objects & digging holes.
Without a brush...I'm your basic tomato picker...(not a bad vocation in the grand scheme of things)
Thanks
Your really pretty swell
m

Mark, it's not just me. There are about 80 families involved in Heartworks Kids. I'm just one of them but very lucky to know the beautiful souls of people who live here, of all walks of life.

This is close to my heart, as we have talked about before. We hope to see you there!:wave:

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I want to help!

I am working the 7th and going to a funeral on Wednesday. Please tell me what I can do to help. I love this idea and really would like to do something.

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I am working the 7th and going to a funeral on Wednesday. Please tell me what I can do to help. I love this idea and really would like to do something.

:clap: Thank you! We can use help distributing flyers to churches, social organizations, etc. If you pm me with your email. I can send the flyers to you.