• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
I hope the county is not going to have to pay for its removal-this sand has been deposited in an ongoing basis for over the last 2 months in front of these homes on Montgomery Street.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
ecopal said:
I hope the county is not going to have to pay for its removal-this sand has been deposited in an ongoing basis for over the last 2 months in front of these homes on Montgomery Street.

The County will not pay for it if it was deposited after their ruling on the sand color.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So I had to check it out for myself today. That dirt is brown as topsoil. I took some photos and ran out of time to meet with the right people today. Perhaps in the morning.

Here are some of the photos I took showing more of what ecopal's photo clearly shows.

PC110012.JPG

PC110010.JPG

PC110005.JPG

PC110004.JPG

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Excellent pics!
Looks like the sand is getting darker-must be scrapings from the bottom of the pit.

Below is a picture of excavation on the beach just a block to the west(on the beach at the intersection of 30A and 395) of where SJ took his pics. They are getting ready to coverup up this mess with new sand being trucked in so if you want to take a peek go tomorrow.
(click on it to make larger)

Richard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2005
County engineer Greg Graham was very clear on this issue back when we were having problems with all the red sand being brought onto Blue Mountain Beach.

The county did initially approve 6.2 sand. Many people got approval. The standard was later raised because of all the abuse of the 6.2 standard. Developers were not even meeting that low standard. Graham stated all new sand brought onto the beach had to be 7.2 or greater. He said the only thing that was grandfathered was what was already on the beach. Any new sand brought to the beach had to comply.

Graham makes the determination as to what is approved and what is not, not Code Enforcement. Code Enforcement is there to enforce Greg's ruling. I too question Code Enforcement's interpretation of the situation and suggest Greg Graham be contacted about this apparent abuse of the standard.

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
Seagrove Villas has a new walkover-but it is private property.
If you use that walkover the dirty sand will be on your left-east and the excavation into the beach will be down a block on our right/west.

If you want to go down a public access you can use the Andalussa street access then walk or run west for a couple blocks.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Richard said:
The county did initially approve 6.2 sand. Many people got approval. The standard was later raised because of all the abuse of the 6.2 standard. Developers were not even meeting that low standard. Graham stated all new sand brought onto the beach had to be 7.2 or greater. He said the only thing that was grandfathered was what was already on the beach. Any new sand brought to the beach had to comply.
]

Thanks for refreshing my memory Richard.
To clarify Richard's statement in bold above:
Not all sand that was on the beach was grandfathered. That which was already there was still required to be "retested" (and not by Commissioner Roe Cuchens) and meet the minimum old 6.2 standard or be removed. Hence the removal of the red sand in BMB.

I do not have the color chart, but I guarantee you that the topsoil colored dirt being dumped yesterday and days prior does not even meet the old 6.2 requirement. IMHO, Gary seems to be very weak when it comes to being pressured from the Commissioners. I wonder if Commissioner Roe Cuchens was hired for these jobs in Seagrove too.:dunno:

PEARL

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
carbondale, co.
Hi all,
This is my first post, but I read this forum all the time. As for the brown sand at Seagrove, it's very disturbing to me. These people are obviously trying to get away with something they know is wrong. I've emailed Commisioner Scott Brannon, and code enforcement officer Kevin Hargett. What else can we do? Has anyone contacted the newspapers?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
That doesn't look like sand at all. It looks like dirt. This must be coming from the sod farm in Freeport. The owner stated several months ago that he could "wash" the sand. Commissioners bought it. They dumped a bunch of the dark sand in Miramar Beach right after Dennis. I don't think it was ever removed.