• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
We know the market is terrible right now... but my husband thinks we should just list the house by owner for what we wanted to make about 3 years ago when things were good. and just see if we get any bites (besides from realtors). For instance - we live in Destiny West. The value has decreased, but had we listed it 3 years ago, we could have asked for at least 900,000 and have wiggle room.

What are the cons by listing it at this price, hoping that someone that doesn't know any different (maybe from out of state or out of the country)? If anything, I would think the other houses would look like a deal in comparison.
Tell me if this is not a good idea and why

Because dishonesty usually comes back to bite you in the @$$. Tell me if you think attempting to cheat someone is a good idea and why?

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
Can't believe someone would even ask that...

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I am confused why people think that buyers from other areas or out of the country will pay more for something then what it is worth. They will do the comps, look around, etc. Listing or selling right now too high is simply telling the public what your home is not worth. Each day, each month, each year on the market is another day your value drops by having a number claiming a value that is not reality based. If you can not compete in the market look at plan B.

Because dishonesty usually comes back to bite you in the @$$. Tell me if you think attempting to cheat someone is a good idea and why?

Come on now? Everybody has witnessed how ordinary items can have immense value to any one individual person, hence the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you happen to find a buyer for your house at this rate it's because it was totally worth it to them and everybody associated with a this transaction is a winner. You can't win if you don't play!;-)

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If someone is willing to pay that price when they could probably have the same or very close equivalent then go for it.

However I do think that kurt should remove that siggy line. That's just flat out a scam.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I believe the downside was asked about. The downside of listing your house 60% higher than possible selling price is that you unneccessarily confusing buyers and adding fake inventory to the market. Also, today's buyers are fairly educated, and well-researched. Your reputation will be attached to your listing, and people may base their thoughts of you on your listing, good or bad. As mentioned, it's in the eye of the beholder. One last thing is that you may influence other people in your neighborhood, who may think that you know something they don't, and they also over-price their listings.

If you are still licensed as a Florida Realtor, I'd be very careful about your statements. Realtors have a Code of Ethics by which we are governed.

Joe Mammy

Beach Lover
Mar 26, 2007
Buyers today are very informed and savvy. They all have one thing in common- they don't want a deal, they must have a steal!

Sellers with the mentality that a rube will come along and give them what they want are seriously deluding themselves.

Danny Burns

Beach Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
Inlet Beach
www.myspace.com
Come on now… Everybody has witnessed how ordinary items can have immense value to any one individual person, hence the expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If you happen to find a buyer for your house at this rate it's because it was totally worth it to them and everybody associated with a this transaction is a winner. You can't win if you don't play!;-)

Come on now? With housing prices down 20-30% across the board (including here in our area), no house is worth what it was 3 years ago. Comps are easily available and no honest appraiser will value a house at the figure it was valued 3 years ago. Ask any reputable realtor.

Have you had your house appraised lately? You might be surprised by its current value. I know I was when I had mine appraised for the first time in 2 years, just recently. I've made improvements and it still went down in value 15%.

I don't think you'll find many who will "play" if we all start acting like the poster of this thread. No one "wins" if you play this game. Reality hurts, but it's still real. I still say complete disclosure and honesty are the best policy...and it's the law. That's my story and I'm still sticking to it!

I love your dog though.

Last edited: