• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
was thinking abour riding down to celebrate the new years on the coast and was wondering about fishing from the surf. Is it worth bringing the rods and is thier anything that might be biting? Would the water be to rough?

Thanks

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida
This (barely) slot red was caught on Grayton Beach 5 days before Christmas 2006. I'd bring the rods...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Seeing that photo makes me happy. There's fish out there boys, and no one else seems to be fishing!

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
We're seeing Redfish, Bluefish, Black Drum, and even the occasional Pompano being caught in the surf. Bring the rods.

BeachSteelers

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2006
Seagrove
Thanks for the report Yellowfin. Do you all repair reels there. My reel locks have stopped working on a few of my reels and they need some help?

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
I know that i won't be able to get my line out as far due to not walking out chest deep in the surf. Should I not bring my 9-10ft rod in favor of my shorter 6'6 to fish in the surf with. What should I use...jig heads with shrimp attached working it in the surf?

Thanks

arrrggghhhhh

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
Thanks for the report Yellowfin. Do you all repair reels there. My reel locks have stopped working on a few of my reels and they need some help?

We're not officially a reel repair center although we can sometimes resurect them. It sounds like you have a malfunctioning anti-reverse mechanism, the most common cause of reel failure. Depending on the reel, it may or may not be cost effective to repair it. We'd be glad to take a look at it.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
I know that i won't be able to get my line out as far due to not walking out chest deep in the surf. Should I not bring my 9-10ft rod in favor of my shorter 6'6 to fish in the surf with. What should I use...jig heads with shrimp attached working it in the surf?

Thanks

arrrggghhhhh

Bring them both, if possible. You never know what conditions may offer. In the last three days the water temp rose from 59 to 61, despite the cold front. This seems to have livened things up. This morning there was bait being pushed up right at shore and a school of Bonita circling them like cowboys. Here, the short rod would work. On the other hand, you may want that long rod for distance casting past the first sandbar, for the reds and blues. Sandbars shift and you don't always have to wade out deep to reach the good spots. Hopefully no more than knee deep. Remember that the water is often warmer than the air temp this time of year.

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
What would use for bait in the surf?