• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
What would use for bait in the surf?

I was trying to dodge that question because the answer is "it depends". This is one of those questions that, if posed to five different fishermen, may yield 18 different answers.

Regarding natural baits, lately we've had people swear that ONLY cigar minnows work. Whole, not cut. Others swear that ONLY live shrimp, frozen shrimp, squid, live sand fleas, live minnows, Gulp! sand fleas, and the list goes on. Some use only artificial lures with good success. The point is, there is no universal right or wrong answer. It will depend on the current conditions, like temperature, water clarity, season, surf height, presence of baitfish, etc.

Conditions change constantly around here and what works one day may not work the next. That is both the fun and, for some, the frustration of surf fishing.

Stop by our Seagrove store for the latest info.

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
I completely understand John, thanks for the help.

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
Yellow fin, do you think for the smaller surf rod and pompano jig with bait added to it might work in the surf...I am more familiar with fishing a little deeper.

THanks

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
YellowFin is spot on, as usual! I love that store. Be sure to purchase your goods from them when you get here. Great customer service and fishing/equipment knowledge, and prices competitive with Bass Pro Shops. Lately the Gulf has been extremely smooth, but I hear that surf is on the way. Definitely bring both poles. My experience is that the smaller rigs don't work so well with the Pompano rig if you have a heavy weight. It just doesn't feel right, when throwing it out, or reeling it in. The rougher the surf, the heavier the weight needed.

Should be great weather for sitting on the beach, doing some surf fishing, this week.

beachpirate

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2007
Montgomery
thanks for the advice......should I use a jig and work it in the surf.I do plan on casting out to the sandbar with my double hook rig with shrimp that I have always had success with. What should I use for Reds?

Thanks again

chrisv

Beach Fanatic
Nov 15, 2004
Freeport, Florida