• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should smoking be banned from our beaches?

• yes, the butts are everywhere!

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • no, I thought this was a free country!

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • not sure need more info

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I'm a smoker and I always dispose of my butts properly. Banning smoking on the beach is just another useless law that our local LEO's won't enforce.

Although I am quitting as of January 1, watch out.
Congratulations on quitting! I quit New Year's eve of 1981 and still remember where and exactly how. BTW, sunflower seeds really helped me quit. As far as the beach is concerned, you are right. To ban smoking on it will only cause further contention and would be unenforceable or probably I should say unfairly enforceable. At any rate we shouldn't do it, IMO.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
SJ summed up my feelings exactly. I, too, did not vote because there wasn't a choice that best represents my position...

Only one thing I would like to add (here he goes)-

I believe the solution is education.

Whenever I see someone on the walkover flip their butt onto the dune, someone on the beach put their butt out into the sand and leave it, someone walking down the bike path stomp out their butt with their foot and leave it-

I often walk up to them, introduce myself as a local and let them know that we view their cigarette butt as trash and that we would appreciate it if they would dispose of their trash properly to keep our area beautiful. I say this with a smile on my face and even offer to pick it up for them...

I get a mixed bag of responses. Sometimes folks get embarrassed, apologize and pick it up. Sometimes folks give me a dirty look, ignore me and walk away. And sometimes folks want to argue with me and tell me what a rude self righteous jerk I am...

Since I am the only person who has probably ever said this to them I understand why they perceive me the way they do. But if it was more common for people to call them out I believe folks would finally get it that THEY are the problem (not folks who point it out)...

Pass more laws, put up more signs. It won't help. But if you dare to be self righteous and call someone out for the sake of the beautiful beaches- they will remember you the next time they have the opportunity to leave their butts- and they might rethink the act...

Peer pressure is a mutha...

2 cents, G

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
SJ summed up my feelings exactly. I, too, did not vote because there wasn't a choice that best represents my position...

Only one thing I would like to add (here he goes)-

I believe the solution is education.

Whenever I see someone on the walkover flip their butt onto the dune, someone on the beach put their butt out into the sand and leave it, someone walking down the bike path stomp out their butt with their foot and leave it-

I often walk up to them, introduce myself as a local and let them know that we view their cigarette butt as trash and that we would appreciate it if they would dispose of their trash properly to keep our area beautiful. I say this with a smile on my face and even offer to pick it up for them...

I get a mixed bag of responses. Sometimes folks get embarrassed, apologize and pick it up. Sometimes folks give me a dirty look, ignore me and walk away. And sometimes folks want to argue with me and tell me what a rude self righteous jerk I am...

Since I am the only person who has probably ever said this to them I understand why they perceive me the way they do. But if it was more common for people to call them out I believe folks would finally get it that THEY are the problem (not folks who point it out)...

Pass more laws, put up more signs. It won't help. But if you dare to be self righteous and call someone out for the sake of the beautiful beaches- they will remember you the next time they have the opportunity to leave their butts- and they might rethink the act...

Peer pressure is a mutha...

2 cents, G

This is kind of the purpose of the poll. I too am torn but also very concerned as our area grows the beaches could end up like the beaches in Destin. The last beach clean up in Destin was all butts! I felt this poll would at least bring it to attention and maybe wake up a few people that normally just throw out their butts. You are correct Geo! It is all about education. If you smoke at the beaches please bring your butts. There is a reason California went the direction they had to. Butts and more butts!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Butts leave butts behind.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It's all about personal responsibility. I am unfortunately a smoker. But when on he beach, I put all my butts in an empty water bottle and throw them in the trash cans by the walkover. I have never, and never will, leave a single cigarette butt on the beach. Anyone who does so should get a ticket if caught.

But if I can't have a few cigs on the beach to go along with my Silver Bullets in SoWal, I might just find another place to vacation.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love that we supposedly don't have to manpower/budget to change the flags or enforce the no items on the beach overnight, but we are going to ban smoking on our beaches. :roll:

Many cigarette smokers seem to think cigarette butts aren't litter or trash - pick up your GD cigarette butts or get a littering fine per current laws!

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I love that we supposedly don't have to manpower/budget to change the flags or enforce the no items on the beach overnight, but we are going to ban smoking on our beaches. :roll:

Many cigarette smokers seem to think cigarette butts aren't litter or trash - pick up your GD cigarette butts or get a littering fine per current laws!

We are not banning anything. It is just a poll I posted after a walk on the beach in Grayton and was stunned at all the butts on the beaches. I came home and goggled and was amazed how many beaches in CA. ban smoking. We typically are 5-10 years behind them so I posted a poll to look at feedback. Quite frankly, I am surprised how many people voted yes. I also agree we should enforce the current littering law but have never seen that happen. I do know a "local law" I like to apply. When I see someone throw a cig out on 30A, I will follow them and put it back in their car where it belongs. If you see a big grey Tundra behind you and have tossed a cig look out!

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
We are not banning anything. It is just a poll I posted after a walk on the beach in Grayton and was stunned at all the butts on the beaches. I came home and goggled and was amazed how many beaches in CA. ban smoking. We typically are 5-10 years behind them so I posted a poll to look at feedback. Quite frankly, I am surprised how many people voted yes. I also agree we should enforce the current littering law but have never seen that happen. I do know a "local law" I like to apply. When I see someone throw a cig out on 30A, I will follow them and put it back in their car where it belongs. If you see a big grey Tundra behind you and have tossed a cig look out!

I remembered when they instituted a smoking ban at Hanauma Bay, the popular snorkling beach on Oahu, over 10 years ago. Apparently they traced tumors in area sea turtles back to them ingesting cigarettes washed into the ocean from the beaches.

I'm ashamed to admit that in the 70s and 80s, I left my share of cigarettes in the sands of Hawaii, California and Florida. Back then, we smokers were plentiful and the majority of us were ignorant and stupid when it came to disposing of our butts. I've given up smoking a couple decades ago and have since taken to picking up butts at all the beaches I visit.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I wonder what one's reaction would be if they found a glass bottle, washed up on the beach, filled with cigarette butts, rather than a note, with the date and name of the person who tossed it. ???