• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Well shel, we are on the same page. Blue chip dividend payers like Pepsi Coca-Cola Johnson and Johnson Conoco Phillips Chevron MMM General Mills Microsoft Proctor and Gamble Pfizer Merck General Electric Boeing JP Morgan etc. Just started a position in Heinz today. I am not worried about the names in my portfolio. I don't own any individual foreign stocks, I have a Vanguard total foreign fund in my IRA. Always have some cash to deploy when the right opty comes along. I am bidding for more Pepsi under 50 and also Conoco Phillips under 48. Conoco should raise their dividend in early Feb to about $2.08 which will raise the yield to slightly over 4%. Pepsi will raise their dividend in May. One of my themes is to buy companies that raise the dividend every year but alas this year GE only committed to keeping the dividend intact throughout 2009 and did not raise it. BTW, Coke should also raise their dividend for the March 2009 payout.

I'm not touching financials and I've steered clear of GE...it's a hedge fund with a lightbulb factory attached to it.

And how long to you think it will take Citigroup to change its name to Lincoln Financial--it will be trading for $5 before long. :D

Last edited:

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
I'm not touching financials and I've steered clear of GE...it's a hedge fund with a lightbulb factory attached to it.

And how long to you think it will take Citigroup to change its name to Lincoln Financial--it will be trading for $5 before long. :D

I agree with you on Citi. Be specific and name some of the names that you have invested in.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Shel

Exxon is my favorite number one must own company. There was a great article in the WSJ (?) today saying that is will be on the prowl again for a major acquisition ( Royal Dutch Shell )or major joint venture with Brazil. $40 billion in cash and a AAA credit rating. Smartest CEO on the planet with Ray Tillerson. I also like MCD but am waiting for a better entry point. It might be a long wait !!! Great company.

Last edited by a moderator:

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008
The recession started in December 2007 according to the NBER......so if the recession ends in the 2nd half of 2009 it will be one of the longest of the post war era. The djii peaked in Oct of 2007 so this bear is no longer a cub. I appreciate your insight. The S&P trough earning should be about $55 to $60
in 2009 and those numbers are low estimates. Forward p/e's are very reasonable . I pick stocks and don't try to trade the mkt. If I can buy the stocks I mentioned at the levels I have bought them at in October and November , I am very pleased. Many of them yield over 5% and are the bluest of the blue. I believe the Oct/Nov lows will hold. Strictly my opinion and I an not pontificating to anyone else. I can live with my strategy.

Does the NBER also determine when the recession ends? Has there ever been a prior recession called when GDP growth was positive?

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
Why do people insist on simply buying stocks. Are these not all the same stocks you would buy any time? Suddenly they make sense? Good dividends, strong business? You should check out managed ETFs and take advantage of undervalued and overalued stocks and markets. What do you have to lose? 35%

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Why do people insist on simply buying stocks. Are these not all the same stocks you would buy any time? Suddenly they make sense? Good dividends, strong business? You should check out managed ETFs and take advantage of undervalued and overalued stocks and markets. What do you have to lose? 35%

You are assuming an awful lot !! So much to disabuse and so little time.

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
The recession started in December 2007 according to the NBER......so if the recession ends in the 2nd half of 2009 it will be one of the longest of the post war era. The djii peaked in Oct of 2007 so this bear is no longer a cub. I appreciate your insight. The S&P trough earning should be about $55 to $60 in 2009 and those numbers are low estimates. Forward p/e's are very reasonable . I pick stocks and don't try to trade the mkt. If I can buy the stocks I mentioned at the levels I have bought them at in October and November , I am very pleased. Many of them yield over 5% and are the bluest of the blue. I believe the Oct/Nov lows will hold. Strictly my opinion and I an not pontificating to anyone else. I can live with my strategy.

Hmm, that's just not what I'm seeing. I believe current estimates have it at around $40. In light of the poor performance of those numbers over the last year or so I'd guess 2009 earnings will likely be around $20? I think 2001 was around $24, care to take a guess as to which recession will be worse? ;-)

Last edited:

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Hmm, that's just not what I'm seeing. I believe current estimates have it at around $40. In light of the poor performance of those numbers over the last year or so I'd guess 2009 earnings will likely be around $20? I think 2001 was around $24, care to take a guess as to which recession will be worse? ;-)

http://online.barrons.com/article/S...9_0002_b_this_weeks_magazine_home_top&page=sp

I hope this link works. Its the Barrons Rountable with some of the great financial gurus.......Barron is my favorite financial periodical. Abby Joseph Cohen from Goldman Sachs is using $55 in S&P earnings for 2009 and she thinks she is one of the lowest on Wall St. I looked at the S&P website and could not make heads or tails from the data.