• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should smoking be banned from our beaches?

• yes, the butts are everywhere!

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • no, I thought this was a free country!

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • not sure need more info

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I wonder what one's reaction would be if they found a glass bottle, washed up on the beach, filled with cigarette butts, rather than a note, with the date and name of the person who tossed it. ???

I believe that would be the beginning of Bobby J and GRS's Thelma and Louise re-enactment to find said person.

IRIETYMES

Beach Lover
Jul 9, 2007
I've stooped and picked up trash from Inlet Beach to the Inlet before and like as not most of the trash are cigarette butts from people who believe that it is a free country, thus smoking (and discarding the waste) is part of that freedome. I smoked for 20 years and did the same. Ban the damn things. They serve no useful purpose but to kill thousands, leave many more hospitalized, litter the environment. And let the growers figure out what else they can grow to make money.

Creeklover

Beach Lover
Dec 6, 2007
that's sucky. I was behind a sheriff's car on 20 going east towards Ebro and both SO's were smoking, and both tossed their butts out the window. I called it in to dispatch and was handed off to a Lt. and never heard anything about it.

as with LEO DUI, they should be held to the same or higher standard as civilians.

Fire them they broke the law!!

Winnie

Beach Fanatic
Jul 22, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I've stooped and picked up trash from Inlet Beach to the Inlet before and like as not most of the trash are cigarette butts from people who believe that it is a free country, thus smoking (and discarding the waste) is part of that freedome. I smoked for 20 years and did the same. Ban the damn things. They serve no useful purpose but to kill thousands, leave many more hospitalized, litter the environment. And let the growers figure out what else they can grow to make money.

I think this slope is too slippery.

dtimms

Beach Comber
Apr 7, 2008
Smoking????

Yes this country is free, thank goodness but it is also one that requires people to act like civilized people, have some semblance of respect for your neighbors and for the environment. There is nothing more disgusting to me than to walk down streets around 30-A and see thousands of cigarette butts laying on the ground that were deposited by reckless, self-serving drivers and walkers. Our beaches will look much the same if smoking is permitted. Another place for people to dump their butts.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Yes this country is free, thank goodness but it is also one that requires people to act like civilized people, have some semblance of respect for your neighbors and for the environment. There is nothing more disgusting to me than to walk down streets around 30-A and see thousands of cigarette butts laying on the ground that were deposited by reckless, self-serving drivers and walkers. Our beaches will look much the same if smoking is permitted. Another place for people to dump their butts.

I don't understand your statement because currently, smoking IS permitted on the beach, and I don't see people driving down the beach flicking out their butts.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I don't smoke, never have. Both my parents smoked, then my Dad quit when I was a teen. :bow: (Thank you Dad!:love: ) Both my sisters smoked. :sosad: Never could understand why I was the only one that didn't. :dunno:

Anyway, as far as Grayton goes when you get a great deal of people standing around waiting to get in or walking around they do throw butts. At our cafe they would throw them in our flower containers or put them out on the deck, or worse leave them burning on a rail or smoldering in pine straw.:shock: Thank God our staff went out and cleaned up in the mornings and at night. Not a pretty site.

As for the beach I vote NO and ditto to SJ's post #7!

Last edited: