• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
Whenever I need to stay at a hotel I always go to Tripadvisor.com. If you've never been to that site, check it out. It rates hotels based on people's input and provides a place for reviews

Here's my question: Is there anything like that for condo's in SoWal?

Aside from searching around and reading lots of posts I can't seem to find a central place to read reviews of people's actual past experiences.

Thanks

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Well we don't have a Hotel here, except for the WC Inn. Each condo is individually owned and maintained so it may differ from unit to unit. If you're used to staying in a Hotel then a condo may not be for you. It's a vastly different experience. There isn't going to be daily cleaning, a concierge, valet parking, onsite dining, etc. You are staying at WaterSound correct? While there are many amenities you are somewhat remote to other areas such as dining, shopping, and entertainment. It's not bad at all, I just think there are certain things you may find you don't enjoy being a "virgin" to the area. I would strongly urge you to read, read, read, and ask questions here.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I guess what I'm trying to say is we aren't as static as tripadvisor.com, but we are very organic and generally more helpful.

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
Thanks. Ok, good points. I guess you are right, it seems like if I want to know something all I have to do is ask - which is a lot more fun anyway.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Have funn and ask something like what's the best food on 30A. Once you get through 8 pages of responses you'll have a much better understanding of the food on 30A.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Yes, there is the Hilton Hotel in Sandestin in South Walton. Trip Advisor probably needs to correct that it is not in Destin. It is in Miramar Beach or they could use Sandestin, both in South Walton, Walton County. That's probably one reason it doesn't pull up for you. Until this place and name correction is made, visitors will continue to be confused or led away from South Walton or not realize where they are. FYI Destin is an incorporated city in Okaloosa County. Don't be confused by magazines like Southern Living who list them (Destin) as having "best beaches." South Walton beaches are way better than Destin. I believe Southern Living does not correctly administer their survey for this category. I would love to see their findings. We would most likely find that people who stayed in Sandestin and chose it as the best beach had their choice attributed inaccurately to Destin.

There are several other hotels that are in South Walton that sometimes suffer from this same incorrect place name id. The new Marriott Courtyard in Miramar Beach in the Grand Boulevard complex. Also, Embassy Suites is in Miramar Beach. All South Walton locations. They are NOT in Destin, and never have been.

Last edited:

Minnie

Beach Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
Memphis
Privately owned rentals rarely show up on Trip advisor unless a guest writes up a report. However rentals managed by Management Companies and complexes such as Gulf Place, Southern Resorts, Watercolor, Watersound, etc. will sometimes have reviews on Trip Advisor.

Also there will be reviews on VRBO and Homeaway.

Last edited:

ckralich

Beach Comber
Jan 7, 2009
Charlotte
Yes, there is the Hilton Hotel in Sandestin in South Walton. Trip Advisor probably needs to correct that it is not in Destin. It is in Miramar Beach or they could use Sandestin, both in South Walton, Walton County. That's probably one reason it doesn't pull up for you. Until this place and name correction is made, visitors will continue to be confused or led away from South Walton or not realize where they are. FYI Destin is an incorporated city in Okaloosa County. Don't be confused by magazines like Southern Living who list them (Destin) as having "best beaches." South Walton beaches are way better than Destin. I believe Southern Living does not correctly administer their survey for this category. I would love to see their findings. We would most likely find that people who stayed in Sandestin and chose it as the best beach had their choice attributed inaccurately to Destin.

There are several other hotels that are in South Walton that sometimes suffer from this same incorrect place name id. The new Marriott Courtyard in Miramar Beach in the Grand Boulevard complex. Also, Embassy Suites is in Miramar Beach. All South Walton locations. They are NOT in Destin, and never have been.

Those are good points. This will be our first trip to the area as a family (I have been to Sandestin for "work"). I knew I wanted to come to the area and only really expanded the search area outside of Destin b/c I was reading so much. In fact, it was by chance that I came across this site - it was actually mentioned in a forum post on Tripadvisor by someone.

Is this site sponsored or endorsed by any type of Visitor Center or County Travel Office?