• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So Seagrove was settled before Grayton Beach, Pt Washington, and Santa Rosa Beach? This is the first I've heard that.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Ahem...

These days, there really isn't much cultural difference between the communities. SoWal is basically one big happy family, as far as vacationing at the beach goes.

But if you are talking history, and not referring to the Native Americans who made their home here long before we did, Point Washington and old-town Santa Rosa were the first settlements. The two towns did not get along particularly well - especially around 1938 or so, when the old Santa Rosa school was closed in favor of the bright, shiny new Bay School in Point Washington. There were still hard feelings about that when I was a child and my mom was running all over SoWal trying to get enough parents to commit to Bay in order to keep it open. And my mom, bless her heart, REFUSED to use Santa Rosa Beach on her mail, except for that which pertained to our store in SRB. She often stated that if she wanted SRB as her address, she would move there.

As for the beach...Grayton was first. Seagrove was more or less settled and named by the McGee family. Dune-Allen was, of course, Eric and Jeanne Allen. Blue Mountain was named before either Seagrove or Dune-Allen, but I'm not sure of the details. And everything else just kind of filled in as the years went by. :D

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Guessing

I'm only guessing about Seagrove. Why would they be called "Eastern Lake" and "Western Lake"? The settlers I'm picturing would probably be the first surveyors or perhaps native americans. Genereally speaking, I thought Grayton was the first lasting settlement, but I think there were some folks here(Seagrove) before C.H. McGee. Does anybody know?

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Sorry I don't have time to answer in more detail. Here are a few primary source documents I have. I'm busy preparing for Chautauqua and library talk, so further comments will probably have to wait. Maybe I'll start a history blog next month and use that for my book draft. A new thread will certainly be needed. The following is original research and notes by Dunelaker.

John Wesley received a land grant from the United States in 1895 for 100 acres in the Pt. Washington area. (South Walton was in Walton County when it was formed in 1824, but was part of Washington County from 1825 until 1913.)

William B. Butler's grant in what I believe is Grayton was in 1896 and was for 160 acres and "eighteen hundredths of an acre."

John Wesley's son, William H. Wesley and wife Katie, received grant in 1903 in the Eastern Lake area of SoWal for 160 acres.

Mickey (youngest of 9 Wesley children) Wesley's surviving husband wrote me that he remembers Mickey telling him of holding her mother's and brothers' hands as they walked down to the beach at Eastern Lake from their home which is now known as the Wesley House at Eden State Gardens. They came down a sand road and crossed a bridge on the north end of Eastern Lake. They had homes on this beach property at Eastern Lake.

I have a picture of Mr. Wesley on Eastern Lake in 1930.

I have a 1931 county map that shows the area of Wesley Eastern Lake grant called "Miramar" (which I was told was what Wesley earlier wanted to call EL community)

The 1939 plat of Eastern Lake Estates by William and Katie Wesley has a Pt. Washington address. (So is it really Pt. Washington Beach?? or maybe Eastern Lake Beach)

Further research in Spanish and other Land Grants would be interesting to me. A number of European countries claimed various parts of Florida during the heavy exploration and colonization years.

I enjoy reading Cabeza de Vaca's 1528 account when he passed by these shores and mentioned native peoples who were living in the area. It has been translated.

I am excited about the not yet announced and official findings of native peoples in Northwest Florida about 20,000 years ago. It is my understanding that the official announcement and papers will be published sometime this year. This particular spot is not in SoWal, though not too far as the canoe paddles. But, who knows, such ancient remains may one day be found here.

Does anyone know what year Grayton had an official plat filed with Walton County or Washington County? An official record of a map or plat with date would be helpful.

Extensive research will be required, imho.

Happy hunting and discussing until then.

The differences and common history of our wonderful SoWal communities are fabulous.

Later.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I'd have to look for the first plat of Grayton, though I don't think it was "platted," initially.

The oldest plat we frequently see is Map of Santa Rosa, which was first filed in Washington County. Lord knows our local surveyors wish someone had platted Point Washington.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach got it's name from sailors and was probably the first "named" area of South Walton. Thanks to the blue flowers covering the area pre-development and it's height above sea level it was a common geographical marker used by sailors. The name stuck and today we have the community of Blue Mountain Beach.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach got it's name from sailors and was probably the first "named" area of South Walton. Thanks to the blue flowers covering the area pre-development and it's height above sea level it was a common geographical marker used by sailors. The name stuck and today we have the community of Blue Mountain Beach.

blue lupine?

I think it has been recorded that the kitty kondo is the center of the sowal universe. :D