• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Yep, their target audience still has cash in the bank. When Alys beach is done it's going to make other developments look like the slums by comparison.

And, at the pace of sales over the last two years, when do you expect Alys will be done? Maybe, year 2400? It may take them another 30 years just to finish phase I.

In addition, like any other company, EBSCO does not have endless resources. I would imagine that their print business is suffering like most other print businesses and they don't seem to be selling much at Alys. Not sure how their other businesses are faring, but not many industries are exactly flourishing at the current time. Wonder how long they will hold on and continue to develop Alys if sales don't materialize soon.

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Alys has actually been advertising winter sales of 20% off of rental units trying to get some people to book something. It's rough.

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
Unfortunately for them, they aren't surprising or impressing enough folks to make the place viable.

Well I respectfully disagree - we happen to be currently living in an absolutely awful economic climate. For now things may be slow but I do not remotely worry about Alys -in the long run it is going to be an exceptional community and Ebsco is committed to their vision, as are the many people who work, live and vacation there. And even if Alys is currently in the infancy of its growth it already has a tremendous following.

fisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 19, 2005
Well I respectfully disagree - we happen to be currently living in an absolutely awful economic climate. For now things may be slow but I do not remotely worry about Alys -in the long run it is going to be an exceptional community and Ebsco is committed to their vision, as are the many people who work, live and vacation there. And even if Alys is currently in the infancy of its growth it already has a tremendous following.

How many lots sold in WC last year? WS? RM? Now how many sold in Alys? I bet more lots sold in the Preserve or Cypress Dunes than sold in Alys?

How many houses sold in WC last year? WS? RM? Now, how many sold in Alys? Again, I bet more homes sold in the Preserve or Cypress Dunes than sold in Alys.

In addition, there were 4 sales listed in Alys last year that actually appear to be repurchases by EBSCO of properties sold in prior years.

Some people like Alys, but the numbers just aren't adding up. If the place was truly appealing to lots of folks, Alys would be selling even in tough economic times just like they are in WC, WS, and RM . The place will never have the broad appeal of these other properties. It's too niche and that's why it isn't selling.

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Fisher, you have been critical of Alys Beach on these forums before, and seem to be going beyond personal opinion. Can you tell us what your real beef is?

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Dec 15, 2005
30-A Corridor
How many lots sold in WC last year? WS? RM? Now how many sold in Alys? I bet more lots sold in the Preserve or Cypress Dunes than sold in Alys?

How many houses sold in WC last year? WS? RM? Now, how many sold in Alys? Again, I bet more homes sold in the Preserve or Cypress Dunes than sold in Alys.

In addition, there were 4 sales listed in Alys last year that actually appear to be repurchases by EBSCO of properties sold in prior years.

You might like Alys, but the numbers just aren't adding up. If the place was as impressive and surprising for most folks as it is to a few here, Alys would be selling even in tough economic times just like they are in WC, WS, and RM . The place will never have the broad appeal of these other properties. It's too niche and that's why it isn't selling.

Fisher,

I like all the communities you list and others also not on your list. I do not measure the success of a community based strictly on sales in this kind of economic environment.

In Alys I see the burgeoning of a beautiful and spectacular town (like WC, RB, Seaside and others) that has attracted worldwide attention and that will continue to garner praise for its many features. And I am hardly alone in this assessment and think Alys has appealed, does appeal and will continue to appeal to a broad spectrum of people interested in architecture, landscape, sustainability, amazing amenities, etc... and many other factors not measured strictly by the number of sales in a struggling economy.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and it seems to me that you dislike Alys for a myriad of reasons (your right of course) but your broad dismissive sweep of this project seems motivated by factors that are a little puzzling to me.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Fisher, you have been critical of Alys Beach on these forums before, and seem to be going beyond personal opinion. Can you tell us what your real beef is?

I wouldn't expect it. Fisher is probably a realtor that has a long list of complaints against them. Resulting in a banning from Alys Beach.