• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

grant blackwell

Beach Comber
Aug 21, 2007
I posted a message last week and I am new at Sowal, but a few FACTS about the Citizens letters. Every Citizens policy holder is getting this letter. Citizens is changing it's coverage forms and computer system and has decided to UPDATE its data on exisitng policy holders by requiring us ALL to reapply on renewal. Some policy holders may be required to provide evidence of updates such as new roof dates etc. , but for most just the hassle of having to work with our agents to complete the new applications and update contact information etc. THERE WILL BE NO rate increase in 2009 by legislative order. Some premiums actually may go down again due to the updated information may result in discounts that were not available when we first became policy holders.

There will actually be three notices sent to every Citizens policy holder, I believe it is 120 days, 90 days and 60 days prior reminding us to contact our Citizens agent. Fortunately or unfortunately I am a Citizens agent with about 4,000 Citizens clients so the challenge of completing new applications is somewhat challenging, but we are hopeful that the requirement will ultimately be of benefit to our clients as a whole.

grant blackwell

Beach Comber
Aug 21, 2007
Insured Value Increase

A rat is right. I live in Miami Shores (southern florida), east of Interstate 95. My house was built in 1938, 1800 square feet. Due to this re-application scam, my hause was reaccessed from $192,000 total rebiuld cost to $298,000. my preumium increased from $2,400 to $4,200 for wind only coverage. so basically this a loophole for citizens to increase premiums and deductibles.

If your house is 1,800 square feet and Citizens is requiring $298,000 in coverage, this needs to be addressed. Your policy requires you to insure to replacement cost but if you disagree with their estimate of replacement cost, you have options. If you think you are over insured, I would not sit in silence. You need to address this by confirmaiton of actual replacement cost.
IF you need help, let me know.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
It is not a paperwork issue, it is a 'find a way to raise premiums and find another way to deny people insurance issue'. A computer upgrade doesn't mean you start asking policyholders in good standing new questions about their home construction. :roll: