• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
In all my years of living here, I have not been to 98 Barbeque until yesterday. Since they won the recent gumbo contest, and I am a big fan of gumbo, I thought I would try it out. The pork and gumbo was fantastic. Even after splitting a plate, we had to take some home due to their being too much to eat! In addition, the service and attentiveness by everyone there was great. I will be back and tell all my friends! :D

I have enjoyed the flavor and quality of Jambones ever since they opened too, but many friends have complained about the lack of service and poor attitude of both the owner and staff :sosad:. It is at the lower end of my scale of service expectations, but I have not had to deal with the some of the quoted comments many freinds have related. So they are on my list of where to go late at night

Jambones has great food, and is open late, but if you want both great food and service with a smile, I encourage you to try 98 BBQ if you have not been there recently!

I think that if someone posts a negative review or complaint against a business, one of two things MUST happen before it is allowed to be seen:

1. It should be required the poster reveal THEIR identity or
2. If the poster doesn't reveal their identity then they should not be allowed to use the businesses name.

Who is to say this negative public criticism isn't from someone directly affiliated or related to the competing restaurant mentioned?? I think it stinks that this kind of post is even allowed if we don't know who is the one posting it because it DOES affect the reputation of the one being called out. What a shame.

HeyJude

Beach Comber
Oct 2, 2008
I think that if someone posts a negative review or complaint against a business, one of two things MUST happen before it is allowed to be seen:

1. It should be required the poster reveal THEIR identity or
2. If the poster doesn't reveal their identity then they should not be allowed to use the businesses name.

Who is to say this negative public criticism isn't from someone directly affiliated or related to the competing restaurant mentioned?? I think it stinks that this kind of post is even allowed if we don't know who is the one posting it because it DOES affect the reputation of the one being called out. What a shame.

OOPS - forgot to mention that I have eaten at BOTH establishments and they are both EXCELLENT BBQ! You can't go wrong at either. Two totally different styles of BBQ but service in BOTH Jambone and 98 BBQ have been nothing short of stellar every time I've been to both. I really love that Jambone serves free-range, hormone-steriod free meats which would make it more expensive but it's not that much! And the portions sizes at Jambone are not small - I never finish my plate and I have a big appetite! 98 BBQ serves excellent BBQ pork.

I have admiration for both restaurants as they are surviving in this crazy downturn. Let's support BOTH - we need BOTH. Now shush all the complaining and let's get us some BBQ :D

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
I love Jambones. I am not a BBQ fan, so I will not go out of my way to go to any particular place for BBQ. I love Jambones because OF THE SERVICE and the FUNN! It is a wonderful place to meet friends and enjoy some good music! I had the Beer battered shrimp the other week and it was EXCELLENT! The shrimp were cooked to perfection! :clap:
All I can add is the attitude of a patron can sometimes color their perception of an establishment.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Jambones

BRISKET TACOS...

served with a smile! :D

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Jambone has great food, prompt and courteous service, good prices, and clean bathrooms.

My only issues were the parking lot paving (which has been fixed) and that when they move the couches for the band you can't play darts (this is probably a good thing for the general public as my aim is a bit iffy w/o drinking)! :D

phillycheese

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2007
Sandestin
I love Jambone! It seems people get so nasty about restaurants compared to other businesses. I feel for these restaurant workers/owners that have to try to please everyone. People are so picky sometimes with about their food and service they expect. It's hard to please everyone.

My sister-in-law is a retired nurse, and she decided after a few monts of retirement to wait tables part-time at a restaurant near her house. She did it for a few months and quit. She always tells us about how mean (and ignorant) some of the customers were. The funny thing about it was that most of her customers were people she knew from her neighborhood. She says that her neighbors look down on her now because she was a waitress, even though she is a retired nurse and is more financially secure than most of them.

Also, I second the earlier request for bringing back the Thai wings!

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I've eaten at both restaurants... and enjoyed my dining experiences. It would be unfair to try to compare them in an "apples vs. apples" comparison. I think the owners of each establishment would agree that they are both selling barbecue; but with a different niche of the market as their target. The style of preparation and presentation is significantly different; I happen to enjoy both. Having grown up is Southwest Georgia I can't remember a time when I didn't eat barbecue and have tried every style available to my knowledge (North Carolina style is the only one that I don't personally care for but know many people that want nothing else), most people have a preference and shouldn't mistake that personal preference for "what is good vs. what isn't good."

Scott - I have owned a food service establishment myself (back home in GA for 3 years) and I understand your shock and horror. I want to reassure you that my experiences (around 4 or 5) in your restaurant have been from good to great. The ONLY negative comment I could make is that I had to wait in line, as the 1st person, for about 3 minutes one day at lunch when we slipped in early and the help was still in the kitchen. In no way did this leave me unhappy but I can see where an impatient soul would have become disgruntled. I had the open faced prime rib sandwich that day on the recommendation of the tardy staff member so any hard feelings quickly evaporated amongst steak, gravy and potatoes. Don't fire the staff and don't give up, I need another killer lunch!:D

BOB

biddieann

Beach Lover
regarding the first post in this thread

Wow. I guess I am just shocked. We've had carry out from Jambone's and it's always been fabulous. Service: No problem whatsoever. Dealing with Scott Alderson: He was so kind and considerate and refunded my holiday meal payment when we had to cancel our dinner due to my husband's hospitalization over thanksgiving week. He was so gracious and accomodating. Always seems to go out of his way for customers.
Just an unexpected post, I think. I have heard only positive comments regarding Jambone.
I can imagine that Scott feels rather deflated from such a post as that one.:cry:

Last edited: