• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
fly, the thing to remember is that Alabama property tax rates are insanely low compared to the rest of the country and are not reflective of reality for 95% of the population of the United States. My sister couldn't believe how low the taxes are for the family condo in Miramar Beach compare to what they were on her wee co-op in Queens when she lived in NYC.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
FFF, you can appeal to the property appraiser to lower the value of your home. Thousands did it last year in Bay County. :wave:

Not going to even waste my time making single phone call this year. I am planing on camping outside the property tax appraiser's office in 2009 with a stack of real estate comps sales. The reality is I should not even have to go to that extreme or waste a day out of the office. If I were a contractor or RE agent, I would be pressing the county to lower property taxes across the board down to mid 1990's levels cause that is where real estate values are heading unless they get more aggressive with reductions. One of the past appeals to investors use to be low property taxes along the panhandle, and that is just no longer the case.

Last edited:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Not going to even waste my time making single phone call this year. I am planing on camping outside the property tax appraiser's office in 2009 with a stack of real estate comps sales. The reality is I should not even have to go to that extreme or waste a day out of the office. If I were a contractor or RE agent, I would be pressing the county to lower property taxes across the board down to mid 1990's levels cause that is where real estate values are heading unless they get more aggressive with reductions. One of the appeals to investors have been low property taxes along the panhandle, and that is just no longer the case.

Making a phone call or camping out will not get you a lower assessment. There is a form to fill out if you are unhappy with your assessment when it comes out in late summer. That stack of comp sales will help you as well. You may have to make a phone call in order to get that form sent to you, or multiples thereof. :wave: Remember you will have 25 days to appeal.

Beachmouse -- I think you hit the nail on the head.

flyforfun

Beach Fanatic
Oct 20, 2006
Birmingham, Al
Making a phone call or camping out will not get you a lower assessment. There is a form to fill out if you are unhappy with your assessment when it comes out in late summer. That stack of comp sales will help you as well. You may have to make a phone call in order to get that form sent to you, or multiples thereof. :wave: Remember you will have 25 days to appeal.

Beachmouse -- I think you hit the nail on the head.

Tampa, thanks for the heads up. Twenty five days is not a lot of time with the speed our mail moves. I have had a couple of discussions with the tax assessors office (past the deadline) and I guess he forgot to inform me about a formal form. Going to redial and request a dozen just in case I need them. Thanks again.

ClintClint

Beach Fanatic
Jul 2, 2008
Tampa, thanks for the heads up. Twenty five days is not a lot of time with the speed our mail moves. I have had a couple of discussions with the tax assessors office (past the deadline) and I guess he forgot to inform me about a formal form. Going to redial and request a dozen just in case I need them. Thanks again.

The Assessor's office cannot defend their assessment at a Board of Equalization hearing if the property has been offered for sale at a lower price, under a listing agreement for an adequate time period( I'm guessing maybe 9 months in today's market )

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The Assessor's office cannot defend their assessment at a Board of Equalization hearing if the property has been offered for sale at a lower price, under a listing agreement for an adequate time period( I'm guessing maybe 9 months in today's market )

One would assume you can't refuse offers made on that lower price correct? Otherwise every house in Walton county will go up for sale for $1.00 and just refuse the offers.

ClintClint

Beach Fanatic
Jul 2, 2008
One would assume you can't refuse offers made on that lower price correct? Otherwise every house in Walton county will go up for sale for $1.00 and just refuse the offers.

True. This isn't meant as some type scam to try to pull over the Assessor's office. I you honestly feel your house is worth less than assessed, put it on the market and prove it--- but only if you are willing to sell. Usually there are contingencies in the contract that would allow you to not accept it, but that's the gamble.
One other very, very important reason to contest your assessment to the highest County authorative body is; the decision of that body fixes your assessment for 3 years. I speak about Ga. only but surely Fl. is similar and I think it's 3 yrs in Ga. but it may be more.