• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Snakes on the Golf course (that could be a really bad sequel) don't bother me nearly as much as the free roaming alligator over at Camp Creek. :eek:

mikecat adjuster

Beach Fanatic
Oct 18, 2007
Seagrove.
www.myspaceherspace.com
I've seen several coyote but have also spoken to a couple people who claimed to have seen a panther. I tend to view testimonials with skepticism, but it is interesting. A guy told me he saw one this past week cross the road that goes north from 30-a by Camp Creek golf course. I asked if he thought it may have been a big bobcat and he said 'no'. Again, I don't value testimonials as science or fact by any means. First, from what I've studied, there is not enough area here to support a large enough population of cougar to exist over time. The only way for one to exist here is for someone to put one here, which has happened in other places/states that I know of. Kind of like when people release non-indigenous snakes in the Everglades. There, an overabundance of contrictors exist that are not native to Florida or the United States. My point is, it could happen and there could be one or more panther here.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I've seen several coyote but have also spoken to a couple people who claimed to have seen a panther. I tend to view testimonials with skepticism, but it is interesting. A guy told me he saw one this past week cross the road that goes north from 30-a by Camp Creek golf course. I asked if he thought it may have been a big bobcat and he said 'no'. Again, I don't value testimonials as science or fact by any means. First, from what I've studied, there is not enough area here to support a large enough population of cougar to exist over time. The only way for one to exist here is for someone to put one here, which has happened in other places/states that I know of. Kind of like when people release non-indigenous snakes in the Everglades. There, an overabundance of contrictors exist that are not native to Florida or the United States. My point is, it could happen and there could be one or more panther here.

I completely disagree, head over to Bud & Alley's from Memorial Day to Labor Day and you will see a very healthy and thriving cougar population. :D

organicmama

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2006
WNC
wncfarmtotable.org
I could name a native pest that's found on this board...:roll:

Which one?:rotfl:

Seriously, NSully & CSully, we've got 3 kids that are 7 and under. We've seen a few snakes in the yard, but nothing poisonous. One lives near the garage & there's a glass lizard (legless) that lives near the front door. There have been about 3 scorpions in our house that Mr. Clean (my other half) has disposed of. When the spiders have egg sacs on the back porch, I move them. I just don't want that many baby spiders suddenly bursting forth. That's about it.

Mr. Clean gets freaked out by the funniest stuff, so I am laughing with the two of you. He freaked about the glass lizard and made me call our neighbors to come and help take care of it, then they laughed their rearends off at his expense.:roll: And I got lectured by our 7 year old about not saving a mosquito's life tonight.:blink:

We've got a pretty amazing, naturally diverse place down here. Even with kids, I wouldn't have it any other way.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Not a pest that I know of, but there was an otter in Oyster Lake yesterday morning swimming around in the lilly pads East of the bridge. I really need to take a camera on more walks.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'll have to be more observant. So, healthy and thriving, uh? Any of them radio collared?

No, but they do have collars, hides the old lady necks.

Not a pest that I know of, but there was an otter in Oyster Lake yesterday morning swimming around in the lilly pads East of the bridge. I really need to take a camera on more walks.

I've seen an otter on a bike on 30A. :D

Come on guys you keep setting them up I'll keep knocking them down.

Seriously though ASH, that is cool that you saw an otter. I didn't know we had any here. Although they are native to Florida.

sullygromo

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2008
Well thats it, you all (is it ya'll ?) have cemented it...lol...we'll be down on April 9 for several days to find our new abode.

I know this is for a different thread, but any agents who specialize in rentals that we should be talking to (other than those easily accessible on the web)?

BookMan

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2008
Blue Mountain Beach
There is an alligator in the pond behind my house. I don't really see him much until spring, but he was here before I was so I give him plenty of space. I did get stung by a scorpion in the fall. I was sleeping and it felt as if I rolled onto a hot thumb tack. It was on my shoulder blade. The next morning I found a small squished scorpion by my bed. My shoulder hurt for a few days, but he got the worst of it. I think our ample fauna is a great treasure, and as long as you 1. are aware of it 2. respect it all will be well, statistically that is. Now, those orange eyed cicadas that I encountered my first year in Maryland, those were unnerving.