• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

rossa5

Beach Crab
Jan 29, 2009
We visited Grayton Beach state park on 11-27-2008. This picture was taken near the end of the dune walk on the lake side. Does anyone know what it is?

Rossa5
Collinsville, IL

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
fungus

I can not recall the name of it but I believe it is a fungus. All my Master Gardener books are packed away, which is obvious by my yard. I am sure some one out there will give us the correct name.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have a ton of wild mushrooms which grow in my yard, and I see the Columned Stinkhorns pop up fairly often this time of year.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
That's a new one on me. Very strange. Thanks for posting!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I thought someone had thrown red bell pepper remains into my yard the first time I saw one.

KHorne

Beach Lover
Mar 1, 2006
I saw one (similar) for the first time when I was about 10 in the cotton field behind our house in Mississippi. I knelt down to get a good, close look at it, breathed in, and almost fell over from the smell! it freaked me out for a few days! but super cool. I tried to explain it and go show my buddies the next day but it was gone!!!
we have them here in our yard as well. More of them seem to appear in the areas where we used Mushroom Compost. I love mushrooms!