• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
The inspection is needed for impact resistant windows for insurance purposes. Called a few from past threads but their numbers were disconnected. J.D. Johnson does not do this type of work fyi, already called him. Thanks in advance.

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
I'm not sure I follow what you are looking for. Someone is needed to inspect windows to see if they meet code or is someone looking to upgrade their home perhaps?
I know of a Rick Guttilla with Pro-Spect Home Inspection Services. 951-8251 or his cell at 685-1881.
Last time I spoke with him he was doing inspections that ended up recommendations for strengthening homes against storms. There were government dollars helping at one point. It has been more than a year since I spoke with Rick.

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
I'm not sure I follow what you are looking for. Someone is needed to inspect windows to see if they meet code or is someone looking to upgrade their home perhaps?
I know of a Rick Guttilla with Pro-Spect Home Inspection Services. 951-8251 or his cell at 685-1881.
Last time I spoke with him he was doing inspections that ended up recommendations for strengthening homes against storms. There were government dollars helping at one point. It has been more than a year since I spoke with Rick.

Insurance company is requiring the inspection to prove the owners have impact resistant windows. Thanks for the info.

Bob Glaze
National Property Inspections
850-865-6525
Destin, Florida FL: Home Inspection and Commercial Building Inspector

I highly recommend him.

Windstorm inspections for insurance also available.

SJ, I have used Bob for years and then I lost his contact information. Thanks so much!

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Insurance company is requiring the inspection to prove the owners have impact resistant windows.

This just makes me nuts that insurance companies are now making you pay specialized inspectors for this information. Was the house built in 2003 or later and is it within 1 mile of the coast? Then the installation of impact resistant windows is part of the Florida building code. That should be enough! (unless there is something different or unusual they are trying to get credit for)

If they are upgraded windows, an installation receipt should be sufficient. Or a licensed window contractor -- you know, someone who sells these types of windows and installs them? And would presumably know?

The sarcasm is not intended for you -- there is just no reason for the overkill and extra expense, especially on what is probably a newer home. IMO.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Was the house built in 2003 or later and is it within 1 mile of the coast? Then the installation of impact resistant windows is part of the Florida building code.
Not exactly the case - many people have built a home in those locations post 2003 that don't have impact windows - which is why they are requiring the inspections.

Impact windows are $$, so many people tried to save $ by opting for the stack of numbered plywood panels ready to be installed or engineered for internal pressure -until the insurance companies closed that loophole.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
We just used SkyeTec to get a Mitigation Inspection Report. Gill McLane at 582-1068. Our impact windows have a little clear sticker in the bottom corner that has the impact info.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Not exactly the case - many people have built a home in those locations post 2003 that don't have impact windows - which is why they are requiring the inspections.

Impact windows are $$, so many people tried to save $ by opting for the stack of numbered plywood panels ready to be installed or engineered for internal pressure -until the insurance companies closed that loophole.

I completely get what your saying, but if the house was built after 2003 and you've got an installation receipt why wouldn't that be sufficient? The window installation would still have to pass code correct? Without tearing out siding or drywall who's to say that the windows were installed correctly at this point. Do you really need to pay someone to come out and go, why yes I do see the Storm Shield sticker. It doesn't make sense to me.