• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
To qualify for Bright Futures college scholarships, high schoolers need service hours in addition to good grades and board scores. We are trying to compile a list that South Walton High School can use as a reference when kids ask how/where/when they get their service hours.

I have a short list of local agencies and charities, and I am hoping that you may have more ideas and contacts! Thanks in advance- Jenny

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
What are the requirements to qualify for work hours?

As far as I know, the contact person in charge of the group providing the hours must document the time worked. If there is an official form, I need to find it, since I have an envelope full of Will's hours.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
If you post your short list we can add - that's easier than starting from scratch. Alaqua, tutoring/mentoring, CVHN, senior care, Habitat fro Humanity, and food pantrys are always high on my list.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Jenny,

Jackie has hours from helping at places like Boys and Girls Club activities, sorting food at food bank, working at "Coat Closet", working the nursery at church, acting as a "Runner" or working concessions at school academic and band. She even got hours for committee work for school banquet - she made the advertising posters and did large photos for the decorations. She has also donated her time and talent to design T-shirts for school color guard.

Some ideas to start you.

Rita

4dogs

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Add to list

You can add Adopt A Dog, we can always use help.:D

30abob

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
One of the best suggestions I can give is to join a club at SWHS, if time permits. I work with the Key Club there as a Kiwanis representative; great bunch of kids that do an incredible amount for the local community. The Anchor club is also very active at SWHS.

You can also add places like the nursing homes and assisted living facilities in the area. Most of them are glad to have young people volunteer. Although it does take a good sense of humor... as well as thick skin at times.

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I know you must have Sharing & Caring on the list.

The Basketball boys are running the concession stand at SWHS for the Walton County Recreation basketball games and earing Bright Futures hours for it. Squirt also hopes to volunteer some with VBS and the preschool at our church. I'm also encouraging him to contact Alaqua - unlike a lot of boys, he loves cats and cats seem to take to him like ducks take to water.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
As 30aBob mentioned, Key Club or similar school organizations are good to join because the Sponsor and Club officers organize volunteer opportunities for the members and you have to get so many volunteer hours in per semester. The students can do this as a group within the structure of the organization. Jackie belongs to Key Club but usually turns in her hours individually because of scheduling problems.
Here the Key club members may do a range of things from canvassing fundraisers for charity groups to helping with set-up and activities at local festivals in town. i. e. If Santa Rosa Beach has it's St. Patrick's Day Parade/Party students could volunteer to help with this or things like Seaside's 5K Run, they could help man booths for tickets, T-shirt, water, whatever.