• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jerome

Beach Comber
Feb 5, 2009
Kinda like Watersound West. To get from the pool to the beach is a brisk 6-minute walk. In the hot sun with the humidity from the swamps underneath the walkover, you are talking a major workout just to get to the beach in the summer.

oh well, us overweight Americans probably need it anyway

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Wow. Very revealing. You mean it is like 1/4-1/2 of a mile before you get to the Preserve's/Sanctuary's gate. Of course that depends on where you're at in the Redfish complex. I parked at the Preserve's fitness center and walked the Preserve's boardwalk. The length is not that bad to beachside, kind of alluring in a botanical sense. But I've yet to traverse the distance from S.@ Redfish to the water. I figure I'll bring one of those surveyor' measuring wheels to get the facts. Might even take the ole' pontoon for a spin under a timewatch. SUCH FACTS MUST BE KNOWN. Lastly, no public restrooms means restrooms everywhere.

Very few of our beach accesses have restroom, and you are right, that encourages people to pee everywhere. The problem of easy beach access are not solely with the Sanc. at Redfish -- the same problems are found with many other developments. At least you have a nice Lake to overlook from this place. You really seem to be very focused on Sanc at Redfish, with legitimate reasons, but why pick on just them? There are many others in similar "boats."

jerome

Beach Comber
Feb 5, 2009
truce

Very few of our beach accesses have restroom, and you are right, that encourages people to pee everywhere. The problem of easy beach access are not solely with the Sanc. at Redfish -- the same problems are found with many other developments. At least you have a nice Lake to overlook from this place. You really seem to be very focused on Sanc at Redfish, with legitimate reasons, but why pick on just them? There are many others in similar "boats."

I am not necessarily picking on them , just dissecting what the hell the organism is all about. It may be a consideration once it falls more in equilibrium. I still have a whole lot of unanswered questions about the development in general (quite a few posted on here). It seems that to uncover any facts behind the place, you may have to pay off the right people. The place is just an enigma.....spooky. Nobody that I've met, including a number of realtors and r.e. junkies can provide many hard facts. Maybe my timing's off whenever I have visited the place, but it is too quiet along the Western Front.

I will also let you know that I am not concerned with open public urination. In fact, I am a proud supporter of it, as long as it is done in good taste with proper censure, of course.. Why be ashamed and disguise something that is merely natural?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I fail to see what specific questions you ask that could be factually answered regarding Sanc at Redfish. Most are vague questions at best. You mostly seem to be bashing the place and don't seem sincere in your posts -- any of them. You also imply that there is some sort of cover-up, which I totally fail to see. Are you trying to talk down the price in order to buy your own unit?

jerome

Beach Comber
Feb 5, 2009
no

I fail to see what specific questions you ask that could be factually answered regarding Sanc at Redfish. You mostly seem to be bashing the place and don't seem sincere in your posts -- any of them. You also imply that there is some sort of cover-up, which I totally fail to see. Are you trying to talk down the price in order to buy your own unit?

No bashing really, just want to get the honest answers about the various issues surrounding the development. Please take no offense. I like the place but for my own worldly reasons, I am a skeptical conservative (especially involving real estate). I was involved in lending(not in FL) and I am still amazed by the corruption and scams that came out of the R.E. implosion here. I had no idea of that when I was lending. We were conservative and legitimate and by the books, way too much for the times. No ninja loans for us, at least two years of w2's w/ good credit, some down, along with a slew of info. And I can't recall any homes that I dealt with that appreciated 100% or even 30% or even 20% annually- this being in 03' to 05'. Home prices didn't mimic the schizophrenia of hyped-up biotech bullletin board stocks. So I guess you can call me a skeptical conservative liberal. Before I came here I was a real estate virgin.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1# Is the developer stilll connected to the complex- and is his status good or bad with the development? Who owns and runs it now? Who's the management.

2# How many of these units are owned by individuals, rather than banks- %.

3# How many of these units were sold at auction to individuals and investment groups and are now listed for sale (flippin'). Would someone out there on sowal.com be able to please provide the units' auctioned price.

4# Say if and when the complex has and attracts people, just what is the probability and practicality that one pontoon is going to transport and accomodate say a minimal 50-70 guests throughout the day in a comfortable and efficient manner back and forth. What kind of water time are we talking here.

5# What is the financial condition of the HOA and the development in general? Any budget/reserve figures out there?How may HOAS dues are in arrears? What might that mean for potential owners? Special assessments?
If people are paying, they are not paying to use the place.

6# Walking to thebeach from Redfish, from what I gathered, is quite a stretch. Might be an easy mile+ round trip. With gear, strap that. It's sizing up to be kind of a beach that is "fairly inaccessible" except for the daring or the waiting.

7# It seems like a forlorn fresh ruin of the 06' downturn. People have bought there, but I have seen, throughout the seasons, at most, a handful of cars in the parking lots. What is the occupancy status?

8# I guess to sum it up-what would be some well though out reasoning and facts why it would be a sound investment- besides the generally obvious.

Now these are just a few legitimate questions.

Sincerely,

Jerome

traderx

Beach Fanatic
Mar 25, 2008

Hmm....almost wish I had not read this. People are peeing "everywhere"? On the beach, into the lake, by the side of 30-a, etc?

gmarc

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2009
jerome all good questions. when i walk by the santuary by the sea i get a spooky feeling like an abandoned ship in the bermunda triangle. i've yet to see a single soul there yet its 20-25% occupied. the lights are always on and its well taken care of but no people. for that fact i walk 1 mile and both directions on the beach and maybe see 1 person. but i think by summers end it will have alot of new sales. but look at homes in water color on western lake or even cypress dunes.they're 1/2 a mile min from the beach and they raked in 400-800 a square foot like candy

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS:

1# Is the developer stilll connected to the complex- and is his status good or bad with the development? Who owns and runs it now? Who's the management.

2# How many of these units are owned by individuals, rather than banks- %.

3# How many of these units were sold at auction to individuals and investment groups and are now listed for sale (flippin'). Would someone out there on sowal.com be able to please provide the units' auctioned price.

4# Say if and when the complex has and attracts people, just what is the probability and practicality that one pontoon is going to transport and accomodate say a minimal 50-70 guests throughout the day in a comfortable and efficient manner back and forth. What kind of water time are we talking here.

5# What is the financial condition of the HOA and the development in general? Any budget/reserve figures out there?How may HOAS dues are in arrears? What might that mean for potential owners? Special assessments?
If people are paying, they are not paying to use the place.

6# Walking to thebeach from Redfish, from what I gathered, is quite a stretch. Might be an easy mile+ round trip. With gear, strap that. It's sizing up to be kind of a beach that is "fairly inaccessible" except for the daring or the waiting.

7# It seems like a forlorn fresh ruin of the 06' downturn. People have bought there, but I have seen, throughout the seasons, at most, a handful of cars in the parking lots. What is the occupancy status?

8# I guess to sum it up-what would be some well though out reasoning and facts why it would be a sound investment- besides the generally obvious.

Now these are just a few legitimate questions.

Sincerely,

Jerome

Your questions sound much more sincere in that format. :clap:
Ever since those 4-5 projects were started (Sanctuary at Redfish, Sanctuary by the Sea, Redfish Village, Lakeside at Redfish, and Grayton Preserve), I had a few questions on my own, and still do. If all are built out, and 80% filled on a holiday such as Independence Day, how the heck is that tiny little stretch of beach, which has forever been a sleepy little place for only birds, going to suddenly handle that capacity? Currently, it is still a sleepy little stretch of beach for birds, but one day, it will be people central, and the precious dunes and outflow will be altered by all of the people trampling through it as the shuttle boat will need a real place to dock at the beach.

I think you would have to be an owner to know the answers to some of your questions, but I'll tackle the ones I know.

1) looks like the developer still owns 11 units

2) only one unit is bank owned, but not all units are "individually owned." Some are owned by LLCs.

3) tough information to get. County records don't differentiate between auction vs traditional sale. MLS also requires any ECAR affiliated auction companies to enter and property sold at auction as a closed sale in the appropriate category for agents and appraisers to use as comps. If kept in the Auction category, running comps would be a PITA. As for who is flipping, I'd guess the majority of people who bought in 2005-2006 were flippers.

4) from dock to beach is only a 2 minute leisure ride on that shuttle boat, and shuttling 50-60 ppl would be easy enough if there was someone dedicated to that. PITA (pain in the @ss) for anyone who is at the beach and wants to come back early to potty or because they got to hot, or too sunburned, or forgot their cell phone, or have to check on the baby, etc. -- A huge downside, IMO.

6) is not a question, but a statement, and I agree that it is more of a hike than people will take, especially if they are wearing a wet swim suit with sandy crotch.

7) Unless you are entering the property, you are seeing only the overflow parking lot. Owners park under the building, but you are still correct in that not many cars are there. There are a couple of long term renters in there, and appears to be only one owner living at the property.

8) Would be a nice unit for someone looking for views. There are four units which sold in Sept '08 for around $400K or less. I think those were appropriately priced at the time. For someone looking for a nice location for a second home, this property would work, at the right price. Not everyone who lives here or vacations here, goes to the beach on daily basis, so direct beach access isn't an issue for them. Hell, I know many people who's second home or primary home is in Seagrove or places farther east, yet when they go to the beach, they drive to Grayton.

The developer sold those four around the $400K price, so those weren't failed flippers. The biggest loss I've seen in there was a unit which originally sold at $1,018,200 that sold in Sept '08 for $467,500. While that is a big bag of money, percentage-wise, I've seen much worse in drops during that same time period.

jerome

Beach Comber
Feb 5, 2009
Eureka!

Hmm....almost wish I had not read this. People are peeing "everywhere"? On the beach, into the lake, by the side of 30-a, etc?

The truth hurts sometimes. But look at the bright side, you are contributing to the fertilization of the natural flora that hold and support the dune system. Thereby becoming a contributor to the dune recovery process! How can I join the dune recovery process board? I learned about some of the numerous benefits of urine when I was a practicing biologist. Think I am talking trash and being insincere? Check this out.---------

Human Urine As A Safe, Inexpensive Fertilizer For Food Crops

By the way, a large number of the imported veggies and fruits bought in the US that are grown below the border use the cheapest, most available fertilizer out there- a combination of the two actually. And you guessed it- both made and coming out of people just like you and me. Have you seen the price of cow manure or any of the fertilizer commodities, (even though their stock prices have crashed-temporarily). In this economy costs must be cut.

jerome

Beach Comber
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks

Your questions sound much more sincere in that format. :clap:
Ever since those 4-5 projects were started (Sanctuary at Redfish, Sanctuary by the Sea, Redfish Village, Lakeside at Redfish, and Grayton Preserve), I had a few questions on my own, and still do. If all are built out, and 80% filled on a holiday such as Independence Day, how the heck is that tiny little stretch of beach, which has forever been a sleepy little place for only birds, going to suddenly handle that capacity? Currently, it is still a sleepy little stretch of beach for birds, but one day, it will be people central, and the precious dunes and outflow will be altered by all of the people trampling through it as the shuttle boat will need a real place to dock at the beach.

I think you would have to be an owner to know the answers to some of your questions, but I'll tackle the ones I know.

1) looks like the developer still owns 11 units

2) only one unit is bank owned, but not all units are "individually owned." Some are owned by LLCs.

3) tough information to get. County records don't differentiate between auction vs traditional sale. MLS also requires any ECAR affiliated auction companies to enter and property sold at auction as a closed sale in the appropriate category for agents and appraisers to use as comps. If kept in the Auction category, running comps would be a PITA. As for who is flipping, I'd guess the majority of people who bought in 2005-2006 were flippers.

4) from dock to beach is only a 2 minute leisure ride on that shuttle boat, and shuttling 50-60 ppl would be easy enough if there was someone dedicated to that. PITA (pain in the @ss) for anyone who is at the beach and wants to come back early to potty or because they got to hot, or too sunburned, or forgot their cell phone, or have to check on the baby, etc. -- A huge downside, IMO.

6) is not a question, but a statement, and I agree that it is more of a hike than people will take, especially if they are wearing a wet swim suit with sandy crotch.

7) Unless you are entering the property, you are seeing only the overflow parking lot. Owners park under the building, but you are still correct in that not many cars are there. There are a couple of long term renters in there, and appears to be only one owner living at the property.

8) Would be a nice unit for someone looking for views. There are four units which sold in Sept '08 for around $400K or less. I think those were appropriately priced at the time. For someone looking for a nice location for a second home, this property would work, at the right price. Not everyone who lives here or vacations here, goes to the beach on daily basis, so direct beach access isn't an issue for them. Hell, I know many people who's second home or primary home is in Seagrove or places farther east, yet when they go to the beach, they drive to Grayton.

The developer sold those four around the $400K price, so those weren't failed flippers. The biggest loss I've seen in there was a unit which originally sold at $1,018,200 that sold in Sept '08 for $467,500. While that is a big bag of money, percentage-wise, I've seen much worse in drops during that same time period.

Thank you for your responses, you seem well informed. Question #5 is the biggie, but that unfortunately was not answered. What really are the HOA dues. I've seen figures fly all over the place: 2,300 quarterly, $3,400 quarterly, $330 a month. I know it depends on the size of the condo- some are as big as 2500sqft. What is the financial state of this development? Also some of purchases back in Sept.- in particular one that was auctioned in Sept. for $381,700 now lists for $485,000. It seems like a handful that were bought recently at terrestial prices (6months-year) are now back on the market. We all know how this goes. 05' all over again? Are we already seeing respeculators there. That ain't good ju ju.

Another downside, you are paying tremendous fees that have the potential to wildly vacillate ^ ( unlees that $330/month listing is correct:rotfl:). All that for a very limited beach access/viewing experience. Infinity pools just don't do that much for me. Still would like to talk to or blog some "true" Redfish owners out there. Just trying to figue this out.

CALLING ALL SANCTUARY AT REDFISH OWNERS ----- Please enlighten the confused.