• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Here4Good

Beach Fanatic
Jul 10, 2006
Point Washington
A judge decides that Walton County Commisson violated its own zoning when it approved replacing Seagrove Villas with the Nature Walk Beach club:

In Walton, judge sides with development opponents | seagrove, county, beach - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

I went to the meeting when they approved this, and I think that they approved it in spite of staff recommendations that it should be denied due to non-compliance.

I do remember Scott Brannon saying that the zoning was "unclear" and "vague" and that the vote was unanimous. I read the zoning myself, and a six-year old could have understood that it was means to grandfather in the commercial use for Seagrove Villas, and made it clear that if the existing buildings were torn down that any new construction should either fit the existing footprint or revert to the residential density of the surrounding property.

Not that it matters, though, since Nature Walk....walked.

Walton County commissioners should not have approved a large development in Seagrove Beach because the land was zoned only for residential purposes.

Circuit Judge W. Howard Laporte has issued that ruling after reviewing a lawsuit filed by several Seagrove Beach residents opposed to Naturewalk Beach Club.

"We prevailed and the judge agreed with our position," said attorney Gary Vorbeck. "Our clients are happy that the judge recognized the issues and problems with the development."

In April 2007, county commissioners approved the project, which was an extension of NatureWalk at Seagrove. The 155-acre subdivision is located on Walton County Road 395, about two miles north of Seagrove Villas.

The plan involved tearing down Seagrove Villas and replacing them with 18 condominiums, a restaurant, underground parking and a private beach club for NatureWalk homeowners and their guests.

However, many nearby residents said it was too large, did not fit in with the surrounding area and would cause overcrowding at the beaches.

In May 2007, several residents sued the county and Seagrove at the Beach LLC, which owns the property.

Vorbeck said in an e-mail that the residents believed the project "was not in compliance with the Walton County Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code.

LaPorte agreed. He ruled last week that Walton County did not follow its own laws when it approved the project.

Attorneys for the county were not available for comment.

George R. Miller, an attorney representing Seagrove at the Beach LLC, said he had not read the order, but knew what it said.

"(The order) is contrary to what we argued and we respectfully disagree," said Miller, who added that Seagrove at the Beach had likely "put their options on hold because there are not many options" in the current economic climate.

He said he did not know if an appeal is planned.

Santiago

Beach Fanatic
May 29, 2005
seagrove beach
A judge decides that Walton County Commisson violated its own zoning when it approved replacing Seagrove Villas with the Nature Walk Beach club:

In Walton, judge sides with development opponents | seagrove, county, beach - News - Northwest Florida Daily News

I went to the meeting when they approved this, and I think that they approved it in spite of staff recommendations that it should be denied due to non-compliance.

I do remember Scott Brannon saying that the zoning was "unclear" and "vague" and that the vote was unanimous. I read the zoning myself, and a six-year old could have understood that it was means to grandfather in the commercial use for Seagrove Villas, and made it clear that if the existing buildings were torn down that any new construction should either fit the existing footprint or revert to the residential density of the surrounding property.

My name is Scott Brannon and I am not smarter than a 6 year old. Where's Jeff Foxworthy when you need him?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
What really stinks is that the Seagrove owners had to waste so much of their time and money to get this ruling when the outcome was clear to anyone who took the time to look into it. The story didn't say, but I hope the county is responsible for their attorney's fees! And if so -- Nice use of taxpayer dollars bozos!

Tommy's girl

Beach Crab
Oct 2, 2008
tommy's girl

thank you a million times over....

JUL

Beach Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
Madison, Alabama
Wouldn't it be grayt if someone just restored them to their original state. Keep them retro just like the airstream in seaside. A little retro is what makes so wal so grayt

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Wouldn't it be grayt if someone just restored them to their original state. Keep them retro just like the airstream in seaside. A little retro is what makes so wal so grayt

or sell each room to an individual

I know someone who'd be thrilled.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
So the Judge finally said what a handfull of us who have taken time to read the Land Use Code, have been saying ever since this came up? Perfect. I love how prompt gov't can be.

Let me throw out a what-if. What if Nature Walk had completely sold out (we are pretending here, so bare with me), knowing that they would have that beach club (Seagrove Villas currently). Wind forward to now, when the judge says, oh, hail no! What would all of those people who bought do? They would file suit against the County, get their money back, and the County would now own Nature Walk, and we could make it a public park. (sarcasm off).

As TFT, it is as clear as black and white in the Code, but the Commissioners chose to ignore that fact. I'm not surprised since former County Attorney, George Miller, was representing NatureWalk, which should be a legal no-no, in my humble opinion. Furthermore, I think the County Commissioners should be forced to read the Code and take test, with a passing grade of an 80% for a minimum requirement. Maybe that should happen to weed out any candidates BEFORE the election. I know of at least three times when I've heard several Commissioners be surprised to learn about a part of the Code.

Here4Good, thanks for posting the article.