• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Okay.....I guess we've waited long enough. I've put off posting this and it hurts my heart to say that D&K's Cafe will be closing very soon. Probably within a week. We have signed a contract to sell the business and soon you will have a new place to go and have lots of "Grayt Funn". Great things will be coming from the new owner. We, of course, are not selling our name or recipes. I will wait and let them introduce their new Grayton addition to you.

As for Doug and myself, you can imagine, it is a bittersweet time for us. Due to a number of things in our life we are just not able to keep going. Both our health has taken a hit the past 5 years (especially Doug's) and we need to rejuvenate and make some changes.

How can we say thank you......first, to our staff. It is so hard to even try to express how much they have meant to the whole D&K experience. Kelly, CR, Natalia, Lily, Olga, Juan and so many more. All I can say is if anyone gets the chance to have them on your team you are the luckiest business in SoWal. Kelly, we have missed you.

I want to especially thank Chris who has been with Doug to the very end. He has sacrificed to help Doug for the past year in ways I can't even express. He is the hardest worker I've ever known and has definitely secured the #1 waiter
spot on the coast. I can only hope that in the future we will get to work together again. D&K's would not be D&K's without him!!!! Thank you Chris!!!!

Second, thanks to YOU, who made it possible for us to continue through the good times and the rough. It is so hard to even write about those who have followed us from the beginning 20 years ago. Your support, cards of thanks, pictures, gifts, jokes, reservations for 20!, reservation for two, those who just popped in for a cup of gumbo, birthday parties, weddings, pop the chanpagne!, anniversaries, baby showers, memorials, Seaside Neighborhood School's Cross Country Team stopping by for a cool drink, help....someone needs Doug to get their car out of the sand:roll:, fresh catch of the day from boats coming off the beach ;-), the fun we had watching everyone outside waiting to get into the Red Bar from our bird's eye view, Grayton Parades, Grayton Art, Grayton Dogs, Grayton Sunsets, Grayton Sand swept and swept again by the staff, windy rainey days that brought everyone in from the porch, ahhhhhhhhh air condition that came with the renovation, friends, family, those who liked us and those who didn't:dunno:, locals, tourists, food critics, Red Hat Club, The SUN, our distributors :love:, time to take a Michelob Lite to the kitchen, pickett fences and shuttered windows, hearing the screen door close from The Love Shack behind us, all the "Zoo Gallery Girls", NOLA, Fluer de Lis, loud music, no music, someone's cussing because they couldn't get a parking spot, smiling faces when they did get a parking spot (like winning the lottery!), how many times can you imagine we've all said "watch your step" or "be careful going down those stairs!", comedians, celebrities, smiling everytime I drove by the Hiabiscus sign "Be Courteous", barefoot and bathing suits to all out rhinestones and stillettos, red beans and rice to stuffed snapper with shrimp & crab cream sauce, Key Lime Pie to Bananas Foster Cheesecake, mini muffins....please just one more, The Shadowman's Halloween to his Frosty D&K Christmas, nowwww Spring Break is almost here once again!

Grayton Dayz and D&K's!
All of this could not have happened without
YOU!
Thank YOU For The Memories!
Happy Valentine's Day
:love:

And, a special thanks to SoWal and all it's members....who lets me rant on and on. Thanks Kurt!

Okay, I'll stop....for now.;-) Please forgive the grammer and I didn't spell check.... just posted through tears.​

skippertoo

Beach Fanatic
Sep 8, 2005
Atlanta (Midtown)
Hi Kat,

I will truly miss the very best food on the coast. I wish you both the very best and will be thinking of you when I am there in May.

Thanks for everything you gave to all of us.

:love: Skip

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
so sad to hear this...thanks for all you have done for our area over the years, and best of everything to both of you...always.
:sosad:

groveral

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
birmingham
Okay.....I guess we've waited long enough. I've put off posting this and it hurts my heart to say that D&K's Cafe will be closing very soon. Probably within a week. We have signed a contract to sell the business and soon you will have a new place to go and have lots of "Grayt Funn". Great things will be coming from the new owner. We, of course, are not selling our name or recipes. I will wait and let them introduce their new Grayton addition to you.

As for Doug and myself, you can imagine, it is a bittersweet time for us. Due to a number of things in our life we are just not able to keep going. Both our health has taken a hit the past 5 years (especially Doug's) and we need to rejuvenate and make some changes.

How can we say thank you......first, to our staff. It is so hard to even try to express how much they have meant to the whole D&K experience. Kelly, CR, Natalia, Lily, Olga, Juan and so many more. All I can say is if anyone gets the chance to have them on your team you are the luckiest business in SoWal. Kelly, we have missed you.

I want to especially thank Chris who has been with Doug to the very end. He has sacrificed to help Doug for the past year in ways I can't even express. He is the hardest worker I've ever known and has definitely secured the #1 waiter
spot on the coast. I can only hope that in the future we will get to work together again. D&K's would not be D&K's without him!!!! Thank you Chris!!!!

Second, thanks to YOU, who made it possible for us to continue through the good times and the rough. It is so hard to even write about those who have followed us from the beginning 20 years ago. Your support, cards of thanks, pictures, gifts, jokes, reservations for 20!, reservation for two, those who just popped in for a cup of gumbo, birthday parties, weddings, pop the chanpagne!, anniversaries, baby showers, memorials, Seaside Neighborhood School's Cross Country Team stopping by for a cool drink, help....someone needs Doug to get their car out of the sand:roll:, fresh catch of the day from boats coming off the beach ;-), the fun we had watching everyone outside waiting to get into the Red Bar from our bird's eye view, Grayton Parades, Grayton Art, Grayton Dogs, Grayton Sunsets, Grayton Sand swept and swept again by the staff, windy rainey days that brought everyone in from the porch, ahhhhhhhhh air condition that came with the renovation, friends, family, those who liked us and those who didn't:dunno:, locals, tourists, food critics, Red Hat Club, The SUN, our distributors :love:, time to take a Michelob Lite to the kitchen, pickett fences and shuttered windows, hearing the screen door close from The Love Shack behind us, all the "Zoo Gallery Girls", NOLA, Fluer de Lis, loud music, no music, someone's cussing because they couldn't get a parking spot, smiling faces when they did get a parking spot (like winning the lottery!), how many times can you imagine we've all said "watch your step" or "be careful going down those stairs!", comedians, celebrities, smiling everytime I drove by the Hiabiscus sign "Be Courteous", barefoot and bathing suits to all out rhinestones and stillettos, red beans and rice to stuffed snapper with shrimp & crab cream sauce, Key Lime Pie to Bananas Foster Cheesecake, mini muffins....please just one more, The Shadowman's Halloween to his Frosty D&K Christmas, nowwww Spring Break is almost here once again!

Grayton Dayz and D&K's!
All of this could not have happened without
YOU!
Thank YOU For The Memories!
Happy Valentine's Day
:love:

And, a special thanks to SoWal and all it's members....who lets me rant on and on. Thanks Kurt!

Okay, I'll stop....for now.;-) Please forgive the grammer and I didn't spell check.... just posted through tears.​

Thank goodness my wife and I made it down a couple of weeks ago after a long time of not coming down. Before even going to our house, she had to have your shrimp salad and I had to have my grouper po-boy. With being there only one week, my wife was back again to share the magic of your shrimp salad with a visiting friend---and to make sure she agreed it was the perfect place to bring all of their buddies this coming fall for a girls weekend.
Kat, I have been to your restaurant for several years and the feel and the food were like coming home. we feel like we know you through your wonderful posts. we hope only the best for you and Doug, and assure you that you are leaving a hole that will not be filled.
God bless and take care of each other!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Oh, what a loss to our community. It is not fair how time changes and takes away things we love. Best wishes as you make this adjustment. Perhaps we will see a new opportunity for ya'll to share your talents with us soon. Once a part of SoWal, always a part of SoWal.

goofer

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2005
Kat and Doug and the whole staff at D&K

The best of luck to all of you. ( as a northerner, I still feel uncomfortable saying y'all )!! We will miss you but we are possitive after you get yourselves rejuvinated, you will be back as strong as ever. We will miss you very much but we know we can look forward to your posts.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
An iconic New Orleans piece of heaven, right here on 30A....now gone?

Not only was D and K's an outstanding restaurant, but you guys created the ambiance of a "wonderful little world within a world" right here in NW Fla."

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Letting go can be difficult, yet cathartic as well. I LOVED D&K's since my first days in Grayton - you had quite a following and that speaks mountains!!!! Best wishes to you~~~~~~ XOXOXO