• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
I read a post yesterday that has been on my mind all day today. It just plain and simple pissed me off . So I have decided to post a few ways to find a job in this area and I will continue to post job openings that I hear of or run across as often as I can. I ask all of you to ask people you know if they have a job opening and to remember the people you are running across that need a job.

Maybe someone can use the information and help someone else. As a person who has lived high and low. I know what it is like to not be able to pay your bills and to sell the things you love or to loss the things you love. I have been riding this economy out now for two years. Every time I go somewhere from Destin to Panama City Beach I see someone walking around collecting applications and none of them are smiling they are scared and depressed.

In this economy we all are being touch. Even the high and mighty is feeling it. I believe in some cases that might be a good thing. The economy for the last forty seven years has only really affected the lower and middle class. The rich just got richer and the poor cleaned their floors. Now the rich are feeling the wet floor, as they mop it so to speak.

We all need to be a little humble these days. I believe now we all know that we all can be taken down a notch or two. We may never see things the way we did three years ago. The phrase "for what my eyes have seen" comes to mind.

Please look at people and do what you can to help them we all are in pain and we all have the time to smile and ask someone how they are doing? You might be surprised at how it will make you feel and sleep when you see someone smile at you and say thank you with tears in their eyes.

My first pick for local jobs is NY TIME MONSTER
My second pick is panamacityhelpwanted.com, take it from here if you can.

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I hope when people hire for Spring, they think of our own local kids as well as their parents who need work. I also hope that people looking for jobs will remember, not all positions are full time or management but they might pull you through a rough patch and lead to something you like doing. Any job that you do to the best of your ability, is an honorable job.

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Fabulous post! Everytime I hear of a business closing in Walton Co., my stomach churns - my heart goes out to everyone there, it's been rough, indeed!

There is a site employers and prospective employees can check out. www.momcorps.com

There isn't anything listed yet for the Panhandle area, but this could be a start.....if employers start to use it, the traffic will increase and be an added source. The key is flexibility and from what I understand, you don't really have to be a 'Mom.' As it has grown around the country, great jobs are being posted and filled!!

Best wishes to everyone!!!

FloridaBuckeye

Beach Lover
Sep 4, 2008
Nice to see people helping

Hopefully your post will help some people out. My husband and I are very forntuate to both have jobs, plus have a nice cushion to fall back on. My daughter has lost her job at 6 months pregnant, so will not be able to work again now until after the baby is born. Her boyfriend has a decent job, but much less than the job he had last year as a project mgr for a home builder. They are both staying positive, but still struggling. They will do ok, and this will make them stronger. As the first person wrote, I too have been on both sides of the economy, and with that said, I can handle just about anything. The one positive to come out of the bad economy, is that I am seeing people caring for the less forunate, and also living life in a different way...we don't always need money to be happy!! I think we all needed to be knocked down a couple notches to see what kind of people we really are!

Last edited:

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
I am looking to clean/inspect a few condo's or homes.

I would like to clean and/or inspect a couple of homes or condo's this season. I only want to take on a few maybe three or four a week.

I am used to executive type people who want it all and don't want to be bothered with, the type of customer that just expects me to take care it. As a kitchen and bathroom remodeler that?s what I am used to.

So with that said if anyone runs across someone looking for a new cleaning lady or inspector please private email me.

Also, if anyone is interested in a kitchen backsplash let me know. I am the inventor of the pre-cut system. I can install a completely designed kitchen backsplash in about six hours with no mess, no noise and no wet saw in sight.

Before you ask it is still installed the traditional way piece by piece. It?s just when I walk in to install it, it?s already designed and the hard tiles have already been cut to fit within 1/8 of an inch.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
I hope when people hire for Spring, they think of our own local kids as well as their parents who need work. I also hope that people looking for jobs will remember, not all positions are full time or management but they might pull you through a rough patch and lead to something you like doing. Any job that you do to the best of your ability, is an honorable job.

I agree with your post and do hope local people get jobs. We were trying to get our son a job at a local grocery store last year and he applied several different times. Each time I went to this grocery store, I would see alot of young people working as baggers, etc. Come to find out a lot of them could not speak english and were from other countries. I don't wish anything bad on any of these people, their gov't needs to get their stuff together. But when times are starting to get tough here, America needs to invest in it's own homegrown stock and put our people to work.:D

Deli Love

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2008
MidWal???
I agree with your post and do hope local people get jobs. We were trying to get our son a job at a local grocery store last year and he applied several different times. Each time I went to this grocery store, I would see alot of young people working as baggers, etc. Come to find out a lot of them could not speak english and were from other countries. I don't wish anything bad on any of these people, their gov't needs to get their stuff together. But when times are starting to get tough here, America needs to invest in it's own homegrown stock and put our people to work.:D

I talk to my boss about this often. I love the 2 people who have been with us for a wile but, I hope when spring hiring starts it is a local thing.
One issue we have is that we are driven by holiday and event crowds. Sometimes it's hard to get young people who want to work those days.
When I was first in the work force I did all nights and weekends I pulled every holiday that rolled around. It was the same when I was a nurse. Last hired got the worst shifts, you worked and earned that 7 - 3 shift that I hated so much.
You would be surprised at the people who walk into a tourist spot and apply for a job but specify no weekends or give you a list of holiday trips they will be taking in the coming year. In the past we hired them and I worked the holidays and weekends.

Lane Rees

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2006
These posts are certainly timely and pleased to read about suggestions for finding jobs as well as for employers listing them.

In Okaloosa/Walton Counties the Workforce Development Board/Job Plus One Stop can be found at this website and has an office in DeFuniak Springs plus a Mobile Center.

Okaloosa-Walton JobsPlus - Home

The following site contains jobs in Bay County:

WWW.BAYCOUNTYJOBS.COM

The overall workfoce board for Northwest Florida are covered here for those possibly considering other neighboring counties besides just Okaloosa, Walton and Bay:

Workforce Florida

There are also local firms available who can assist employers and candidates in their employment searches. The Walton Chamber of Commerce is an excellent source ... and Human Resource Solutions, Inc. in Walton County is one that comes to mind.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Had a little free time this morning and found a few new job openings, which are requiring no or very little experience. There are a lot more.

As for the local children and local people getting work here (I do think it’s easy for younger people to get work here). With the new season just around the corner, there is really no reason that the local children here are not employed or close to being employed.

But I will say this, your children and mine have got to learn and be taught how to go get and ask employers if they are hiring, know the employer’s answers, if they say they are taking applications don’t waste your time they are not hiring! Know how to fill out applications, know how to conduct themselves in an interview, how to dress for an interview, and how to speak proper English.

I have had to spend a lot of time teaching my two wonderful teenagers all of the above (except for speaking proper English). I drove them both around and physically taught them how to do it. I have had them both at the table filling out application after application until they master it and currently I know that they both know how to do all of the above and how to get a job if need be, without me.

When these young kids go out and try to get employment they really don't have the first clue. They don't know how to
dress, they don't know how to properly fill out a job application and they don't know how to interview and/or answer the questions coming from the employer, believe me I am seeing it every day.

Last edited: