• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Some of the Job openings I mentioned earlier.

Another Broken Egg Cafe
Destin 32540
Le Creuset
Destin, FL 32540
Newman-Dailey Resort Propertie
Destin 32540
Nightown
Destin 32540
T.R. Frogs
Destin 32541
The Track
Destin 32541
Destin Army Recreation Center
Destin 32541
Frock Candy
Destin 32541
Keefe, Anchors, Gordon & Moyle
Destin, FL 32541
Buckles – Destin Commons
Destin, FL 32541

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
A biggie to remember is that when you show up at a business - even to drop off or ask for an application you are already "interviewing".

Scruffy clothes, bad driving, the cell phone conversation or cigarette in the parking lot, chewing gum, not having a resume on hand ...................... NO WAY you're getting that job!

rheffron

Beach Fanatic
Jan 17, 2008
Had a little free time this morning and found a few new job openings, which are requiring no or very little experience. There are a lot more.

As for the local children and local people getting work here (I do think it?s easy for younger people to get work here). With the new season just around the corner, there is really no reason that the local children here are not employed or close to being employed.

But I will say this, your children and mine have got to learn and be taught how to go get and ask employers if they are hiring, know the employer?s answers, if they say they are taking applications don?t waste your time they are not hiring! Know how to fill out applications, know how to conduct themselves in an interview, how to dress for an interview, and how to speak proper English.

I have had to spend a lot of time teaching my two wonderful teenagers all of the above (except for speaking proper English). I drove them both around and physically taught them how to do it. I have had them both at the table filling out application after application until they master it and currently I know that they both know how to do all of the above and how to get a job if need be, without me.

When these young kids go out and try to get employment they really don't have the first clue. They don't know how to
dress, they don't know how to properly fill out a job application and they don't know how to interview and/or answer the questions coming from the employer, believe me I am seeing it every day.

Yes I agree that there are companies here that are hiring from overseas. Fine let them have it and every time you go into their place of business complain that you need help with something anything and tell them that you want someone who speaks ENGLISH make a big deal about it.

You know who these companies are and you now know not to send your children to them for employment. You don?t want your children working for them anyway, what can someone teach our children that does not speak their language.

These are all great tips and ideas! As far as the foreign workers are concerned, they are mostly Students with legit work visas that leave after the summer. They have come because there have not been enough local workers to fill the need. They also pay taxes, purchase cars, food, clothing and Rent Condos, Houses and Trailers from local people. They all speak English (yes, some better than others) and go back to their homelands with hopefully a positive impression of our area and the USA. Local Businesses will hire locals first if qualified and available. It will be interesting if there are less of them this year.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Oh wait a minuate, as for the foreign workers they don't bother me one way or the other. I believe 100% that the positions that they are filling are positions that at one time or the other were open to the locals to fill. And for some reason or the other the locals did not fill those positions. My point with my response to the post before mine was that people can not continue to put blame on foreigners (as such) for not being able to find a job. I believe that the jobs are available to all. I don't agree with "they all speak English they don't and we all know that.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
While I wish it would work out better for our local teenagers, I totally understand why local businesses who are busiest during the tourist season would use the foreign worker pool. They arrive here to work- there are no conflicts like school, camps, sports, family vacations, transportation issues, scheduling conflicts, etc. It is much easier to have a group of employees who literally have no scheduling conflicts. They arrive before the local kids get out of school in the spring, and are working well after our kids go back to school in August. Our kids can't start when these businesses need them, and have to cut back or quit when school starts- what a PIA for a business.

The biggest problem our kids face with summer employment is not the foreign worker pool- it is the school calendar. I wish we could go back to ending the school year by Memorial Day and not going back until Labor Day- having a real summer again, to work or play or both!

And Rheffron- thanks for pointing out that the foreign workers do inject cash back into our local economy- with the added bonus of making South Walton a little more multi-cultural, well, for at least a few months.;-)

Last edited:

cater

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2008
I read a post yesterday that has been on my mind all day today. It just plain and simple pissed me off . So I have decided to post a few ways to find a job in this area and I will continue to post job openings that I hear of or run across as often as I can. I ask all of you to ask people you know if they have a job opening and to remember the people you are running across that need a job.

Maybe someone can use the information and help someone else. As a person who has lived high and low. I know what it is like to not be able to pay your bills and to sell the things you love or to loss the things you love. I have been riding this economy out now for two years. Every time I go somewhere from Destin to Panama City Beach I see someone walking around collecting applications and none of them are smiling they are scared and depressed.

In this economy we all are being touch. Even the high and mighty is feeling it. I believe in some cases that might be a good thing. The economy for the last forty seven years has only really affected the lower and middle class. The rich just got richer and the poor cleaned their floors. Now the rich are feeling the wet floor, as they mop it so to speak.

We all need to be a little humble these days. I believe now we all know that we all can be taken down a notch or two. We may never see things the way we did three years ago. The phrase "for what my eyes have seen" comes to mind.

Please look at people and do what you can to help them we all are in pain and we all have the time to smile and ask someone how they are doing? You might be surprised at how it will make you feel and sleep when you see someone smile at you and say thank you with tears in their eyes.

My first pick for local jobs is NY TIME MONSTER
My second pick is panamacityhelpwanted.com, take it from here if you can.
Keep it up ! Thank You !!!!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Not only do the foreign workers pay taxes, most don't know that for short term work there is an exemption form they can get to receive all of the money back at the end of the year. This only exempts them from income tax IIRC and does not exempt them from Medicare and Social Security taxes that they will NEVER utilize.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
While I wish it would work out better for our local teenagers, I totally understand why local businesses who are busiest during the tourist season would use the foreign worker pool. They arrive here to work- there are no conflicts like school, camps, sports, family vacations, transportation issues, scheduling conflicts, etc. It is much easier to have a group of employees who literally have no scheduling conflicts. They arrive before the local kids get out of school in the spring, and are working well after our kids go back to school in August. Our kids can't start when these businesses need them, and have to cut back or quit when school starts- what a PIA for a business.

The biggest problem our kids face with summer employment is not the foreign worker pool- it is the school calendar. I wish we could go back to ending the school year by Memorial Day and not going back until Labor Day- having a real summer again, to work or play or both!

What is the rationale for going back to school so early in August? You would think from a utilities cost standpoint, and August being the hottest month, that it would be more cost effective to go to the Memorial Day - Labor Day schedule. I always wondered about this. In New York, that is the schedule. :dunno:

BTW- great thread.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
What is the rationale for going back to school so early in August? You would think from a utilities cost standpoint, and August being the hottest month, that it would be more cost effective to go to the Memorial Day - Labor Day schedule. I always wondered about this. In New York, that is the schedule. :dunno:

BTW- great thread.

It gives teachers more time to prepare their students for the FCAT. This is the state wide mandatory test that states that the teacher taught their students all of the stuff on the FCAT. It's a great way to determine if teachers are teaching the FCAT every year. :roll: