• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dasoopamanluva

Beach Comber
Jan 27, 2009
Its perfectly OK to ask about salary and benefits, and it took only a second to reply. What is sad is that the type of qualifications and work ethic I described are so rare that it is expected to be rewarded with bonuses and promises before any work is even done.

Punctuality, accountability, professionalism, and motivation are qualities that we should be teaching our children to exhibit regardless of whether or not they are at work or if there is a dangling carrot.

If we as employers are not descriptive as to who we would like to hire we risk making more work for ourselves by spending extra time interviewing underqualified applicants. These qualitlies are the same qualities that my other employees exhibit and the same qualities I exhibit and I have no interest in adding someone to the staff that will weaken it.

So again I say, anyone who takes pride in their work and is experienced in this industry please feel free to call. I am excited to hear from you and look forward to meeting such high quality individuals.

pepper

Beach Comber
Dec 9, 2007
That is what i figured.

:bang:unbelievable. i don't mean any disrespect, but i feel for the small/medium business owners who right now feel fortunate to eek out a 'break even' existence while trying to hold on and take care of their staff the best they can, (when many owners are either shutting down or losing their &%* keeping their doors open), and then jump on here and get to read this kind of snark. If these expectations of 'salary and benefits' from a small business employment post are real, i'd think you're going to find a very difficult time of finding employment, indeed.

instead of attacking a potential employer, i'd prefer you'd attack a cohesive and coherent discussion as to how to put employee benefits within reach for your typical local businesses and some who's and how's as to paying for it.

slcooper1949

Beach Lover
Aug 27, 2007
I was a bartender in South Walton for a great beach club, until the General Manager decided to bring a MALE Bartender all the way from S. C. , then I was demoted to server, but in the end the GM got fired, the guy stayed on as bartender, but I ended up making more money in the end. Why not give someone that actually shows UP for work every day doesn't bring drama with them, instead of making them know all the bar lingo. The customers don't care as long as they are respected and taken care of and they have a good drink in front of them. I now live in Texas, hate it but my new grandbabies are here so here is where I will stay for a while. I moved here year ago, and the bartenders here are RUDE. So go for a great personality instead of all the knowledge. The main job of a bartender is: 99% personality & 5% knowledge!!!! So give a new kid a break!! The locals in SoWal are so great, and they won't mind I assure you.

operationivy

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2008
I don't see anything wrong with asking what kind of benefits are available, although I pretty much knew there wouldn't be.

But I don't think the employer should have a problem finding well qualified individuals... take your pick.... I know the restaurant industry in particular can be very abusive towards employees IN GOOD TIMES.

I commend you for having the guts to open up your business and all eyes on you, hoping the "American Dream" is still possible.

But in a time a floods, I find your generalizations extremely distasteful. Thanks for the reminder that we're in a slave/wage situation here. I was making $10/hr at Wing's in 96, straight out of high school. No experience. And now I have a college degree, did the internship, got the stellar resume' and $10/hr would be absolutely beautiful. But I don't stand for mistreatment or abuse on a job. You want someone to be professional, on time, charismatic, hard worker etc... that would be common sense. If you do, by chance, find a few amazing workers who work hard and show complete loyalty towards you and your business, if things start to go South, are you going to show them your appreciation and loyalty with severance pay, some food, some shelter? Or would you just close up shop overnight and say, "Later."

You gotta give respect to get respect. Nonviolent communication would be a good start. Honestly, I do wish you the best and hopefully everything works out.

Dasoopamanluva

Beach Comber
Jan 27, 2009
But I don't think the employer should have a problem finding well qualified individuals... take your pick....

You want someone to be professional, on time, charismatic, hard worker etc... that would be common sense. If you do, by chance, find a few amazing workers who work hard and show complete loyalty towards you and your business, if things start to go South, are you going to show them your appreciation and loyalty with severance pay, some food, some shelter? Or would you just close up shop overnight and say, "Later."

You gotta give respect to get respect. Nonviolent communication would be a good start. Honestly, I do wish you the best and hopefully everything works out.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your position here, but you seem to be contradicting yourself. I feel for you and the hardships you have had in employment, apparently you are qualified and yet things "went south," likely without "severence pay" or "some food," however, your story will not cause me to lower my standards for hiring. You say yourself that you "dont think the employer will have a problem" and then you say my generalizations are "extremely distasteful" and then sarcastically thank me for reminding you of our "slave wage" situation. You also say these qualities are "common sense" before saying this type of employees are "amazing." Just when you have finished disrespecting me, you offer the advice about "give respect" to "get respect." To top it all off, you end your tirade with an underdeveloped statement about "non-violent communication."

Seriously? All I can say to you is "Later." Maybe you should be at Wings instead of on Sowal, sounds like it pays better and you were better at being a sunglasses clerk than you are at making sense in your online posts.

To the rest of you I say "Thanks" for your interest and if you know any "amazing" people looking for an entry level position at a small bar, please do send them my way. Merry February to all and to all a good night...

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
I was a bartender in South Walton for a great beach club, until the General Manager decided to bring a MALE Bartender all the way from S. C. , then I was demoted to server, but in the end the GM got fired, the guy stayed on as bartender, but I ended up making more money in the end. Why not give someone that actually shows UP for work every day doesn't bring drama with them, instead of making them know all the bar lingo. The customers don't care as long as they are respected and taken care of and they have a good drink in front of them. I now live in Texas, hate it but my new grandbabies are here so here is where I will stay for a while. I moved here year ago, and the bartenders here are RUDE. So go for a great personality instead of all the knowledge. The main job of a bartender is: 99% personality & 5% knowledge!!!! So give a new kid a break!! The locals in SoWal are so great, and they won't mind I assure you.

What part of Texas and why do you hate it?

GaDawg

Beach Comber
Jan 23, 2008
Athens,Ga
It's amazing to me how almost all employees this day and time want so much from their employer.I have owned a fairly small business for over 20 years.(18 to 20 employees). I hate to inform these young people,but they have to earn the respect of their employers and co-workers. Once you do that by showing excellent attendance, excellent work ethic and being a team player, you will be rewarded. I don't think any employer expects a employee to work for free or to be mis treated. Wake up people !!!! There are no free rides !!!!!!!
You will always be making $10.00/hr or less unless you open your eyes and look further than the trees.
:yikes:
Good Luck on finding that prefect job.

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding your position here, but you seem to be contradicting yourself. I feel for you and the hardships you have had in employment, apparently you are qualified and yet things "went south," likely without "severence pay" or "some food," however, your story will not cause me to lower my standards for hiring. You say yourself that you "dont think the employer will have a problem" and then you say my generalizations are "extremely distasteful" and then sarcastically thank me for reminding you of our "slave wage" situation. You also say these qualities are "common sense" before saying this type of employees are "amazing." Just when you have finished disrespecting me, you offer the advice about "give respect" to "get respect." To top it all off, you end your tirade with an underdeveloped statement about "non-violent communication."

Seriously? All I can say to you is "Later." Maybe you should be at Wings instead of on Sowal, sounds like it pays better and you were better at being a sunglasses clerk than you are at making sense in your online posts.

To the rest of you I say "Thanks" for your interest and if you know any "amazing" people looking for an entry level position at a small bar, please do send them my way. Merry February to all and to all a good night...

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I find it refreshing that an employer would post the expectations instead of the same old "you will have fun, make loads of $$" speech that I read so many times on here. So many people dont realize that they call it WORK for a reason (its not always fun) and that the amount of $$ you will make pretty much depends on the amount of work you do. I started a job at a hot spot around here about a month ago, had consistently high sales, made great tips, no complaints from customers, got along with other employees (either that or they put up a good front in order for me to cover their @$$3$) showed up for my shifts, even came in on days I was not scheduled to cover those that didnt feel the need to show up when they were on, only to be let go a few days ago because I "didnt fit the clique". (yep...exact words) Glad to see there are still places that value work ethic and performance over who kisses butt the best.

operationivy

Beach Comber
Mar 5, 2008
I'm self employed... thank you very murch.

and does this happen to be the wine bar that is opening by Miss Lucille's??? Btw I love Ms. Lucille's and if it is, I think it's a great idea!

Last edited: