• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

appalach

Beach Comber
May 16, 2008
Your post definitely helped! You don't seem like a Debbie Downer to me. I appreciate a realist. I had no idea how the cash was being handled, and your and SJ's posts highlighted the potential disconnect with one group's priority list being reconciled with stringent timelines made all the more urgent by the use or lose it ax waiting to fall.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
A toll bridge is not the way to go. If you figure $2.50 (I think this is what mid-bay bridge is) in each direction is a real hit in the wallet for someone traveling for work from North of the bay. That's $25.00 per week. A toll bridge also seems unfair for the fact that they would most likely collect it on the existing bridge as well and that seems pretty backwards to me.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
SunPass definitely helps on tolls, if the powers that be knock $1.00 off each way as they do for the Mid-Bay Bridge. I say if, because I have noticed that my tolls on the Turnpike and in/around Orlando are not any less.

Still, that is $3.00 per day, pre-paid. Plus I think I had to buy the box. :dunno:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
SunPass definitely helps on tolls, if the powers that be knock $1.00 off each way as they do for the Mid-Bay Bridge. I say if, because I have noticed that my tolls on the Turnpike and in/around Orlando are not any less.

Still, that is $3.00 per day, pre-paid. Plus I think I had to buy the box. :dunno:

Very true and consider that if you are traveling down here for $10.00/hr. That's over 3 hours of work just for the privilege.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Very true and consider that if you are traveling down here for $10.00/hr. That's over 3 hours of work just for the privilege.

Whoa on the math, darlin'. $10.00 per hour (if lucky, pre-tax), not $10.00 a day. So it would be only 3.75%.

Only. Wow. I can't believe I typed that.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Whoa on the math, darlin'. $10.00 per hour (if lucky, pre-tax), not $10.00 a day. So it would be only 3.75%.

Only. Wow. I can't believe I typed that.

Sorry about that, coffee is slowly kicking in today. Either way it's a pain in the ass centered around the wallet.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I thought there was a rule that they weren't allowed to make both the 331 and the Mid-bay toll. Wasn't that why they suspended tolls on Mid-bay after a hurricane?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
I thought there was a rule that they weren't allowed to make both the 331 and the Mid-bay toll. Wasn't that why they suspended tolls on Mid-bay after a hurricane?

They do typically suspend tolls during mandatory evacuations (health and safety), but I am not aware of any rule stating that they couldn't make 331 a toll road. If my memory is correct, they had a group come in and explain how it could likely be built sooner if it was made a toll road.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
They do typically suspend tolls during mandatory evacuations (health and safety), but I am not aware of any rule stating that they couldn't make 331 a toll road. If my memory is correct, they had a group come in and explain how it could likely be built sooner if it was made a toll road.

Sponsored by the Mid bay bridge authority?

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
Sponsored by the Mid bay bridge authority?

I can't remember. It was a while ago and done by a private group that has built toll roads throughout the state and maybe other states. The issue that raised most people's ire was that the tolls would be collected even after the bridge had been paid for since these were considered investments. I know the FDOT was at the meeting and it was open to the public.