• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I guess living here for so long those things don't freak me out that much. There has always been weird things going on. Once you've seen a US military sub surface just a few miles from shore you kinda get over it. :D

Hop

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Dune Allen
www.myspace.com
that is so weird....because one of my cows is missing:dunno:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I guess living here for so long those things don't freak me out that much. There has always been weird things going on. Once you've seen a US military sub surface just a few miles from shore you kinda get over it. :D

At least it was our own military and not the German subs my dad saw in close proximity to Panama City during the early stages of WWII ! :creepy:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
At least it was our own military and not the German subs my dad saw in close proximity to Panama City during the early stages of WWII ! :creepy:

Very true, this was just south of Tallahassee and my grandfather was on the balcony with his binoculars and shot gun. He thought the ruskies were invading until he saw USN, that sub was huge. :funn:

someone_else

Beach Lover
Feb 6, 2009
Walton county
The Blue Comet ?

Last night about 12:30 a.m. I walked up to the beach by One Seagrove Place. I was enjoying the sound of the surf and the star-lit sky when I noticed a star right on the horizon. I marveled at how low it was and wondered if I'd ever seen one as low. I assumed I never had before because of that portion of the sky usually being interrupted by building or other obstructions, and maybe because of the Earth's atmosphere.

Anyway, I looked away, then looked back, and it was gone. I stared into the area for a while and then noticed some strange lights. I was looking out toward Destin, but definately out over the gulf. The lights were very bright and sparkling as it went upward. It almost appeared like fireworks would, but it was different. I wondered if perhaps it was a flare or some military exercise.

I saw another one sent upward from closer in to the beach, then another out in the gulf. The lights were very bright, similar to fireworks, but did not have an additional explosion at the end where it branches out into a circle. It was just a light that went up in a line and had like sparkles emminating from that center. I always thought a flare was just a straight light, but there may be different types.

I did make a phone call to report it in case it was a flare or distress signal of some type, and in case someone else would report the same thing so it would be taken seriously if in fact it was a distress signal.

If anyone has any idea what it may have been, or if this is some type of military operation that occurs and I just don't know of it.

I noticed something odd the other night too. I'm sure most people have seen the moon when it has the ring of light around it way out to its sides. The other night that was the case and also there appeared to be a light, like a spot light that came from just adjacent to the moon. But the light moved off slowly at a consistent pace and kept my attention. Because the moon was illuminating so well, I finally concluded that what appeared to be a light must have in fact just been a jet exhaust trail that was able to be seen in the moon's light. I wathed it continue for a while though and thought it was a neat sighting.

Anyway, I'd love to know what that was last night that was happening in the sky out over the gulf. Any ideas?

A friend mentioned something to me about a blue comet which I am sad to say I did not see. I'll try to get some details and post it later if it seems to apply. I love to star gaze.

slimm

Beach Comber
Aug 24, 2008
Mike, I don't have any answers for you but I think have seen the lights that look like fireworks and slowly fade out as they fall (too quickly to be flares).

We have seen very similar lights from the 331 Causeway / bridge area. They look like golden fireworks, but they are not very spectacular and have no sound. :dunno: Last fall I saw them at 6:30pm for weeks on end as I was driving home from work. They were always located in the same area, North of the Bay, very close to the water and in the direction of Niceville. I have wondered what they were but I haven't found a better explanation than the usual 'military testing'. :angry: There's got to be a more specific answer! Hopefully someone here will know more about them.

during the fall the military was doing a lot of daytime and nighttime parachute practice. what you saw could very well have been something related to this. i dont know a lot about anything but i wouldnt doubt it if those jumpers have some sort of short life flare that goes off when they pull so that people in the aircraft can see that all the chutes came out properly.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
during the fall the military was doing a lot of daytime and nighttime parachute practice. what you saw could very well have been something related to this. i dont know a lot about anything but i wouldnt doubt it if those jumpers have some sort of short life flare that goes off when they pull so that people in the aircraft can see that all the chutes came out properly.

Do you work for the guvment? :lol: