• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
What is the rationale for going back to school so early in August? You would think from a utilities cost standpoint, and August being the hottest month, that it would be more cost effective to go to the Memorial Day - Labor Day schedule. I always wondered about this. In New York, that is the schedule. :dunno:

BTW- great thread.

All of the "teacher prep days" ................... that just happen to fall on major holidays and give them 3-4 day weekends. :roll:

I'm yet to be convinced the longer school year is necessary - we had a shorter school year, statewide standardized testing, and we had to accommodate snow days. Of course we also were in school from 7:45-3:30 and didn't have sports teams in our class schedule.

A neighboring county flat out made a law that there was no school from Memorial Day to Labor Day because they needed the kids as summer workers. It should be the same here.

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
Not only do the foreign workers pay taxes, most don't know that for short term work there is an exemption form they can get to receive all of the money back at the end of the year. This only exempts them from income tax IIRC and does not exempt them from Medicare and Social Security taxes that they will NEVER utilize.

Oh goodness, as far as not utilizing Medicare, you have obviously not had to go to the health clinic in Defuniak.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Oh goodness, as far as not utilizing Medicare, you have obviously not had to go to the health clinic in Defuniak.

No, I can proudly state that I don't frequent the free clinic, how many summer workers from SanDestin would you say are there on any given day?

NightAngel

Beach Fanatic
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
No, I can proudly state that I don't frequent the free clinic, how many summer workers from SanDestin would you say are there on any given day?

So glad for you, however I have some health problems and no insurance and I HAVE NO CHOICE but to use the clinic for checkups and to get the medicine that I have to take daily and I should not have to be ashamed of that.
When you are in the waiting room, you will only hear an english spoken word when the nurse calls your name.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
So glad for you, however I have some health problems and no insurance and I HAVE NO CHOICE but to use the clinic for checkups and to get the medicine that I have to take daily and I should not have to be ashamed of that.
When you are in the waiting room, you will only hear an english spoken word when the nurse calls your name.

Sorry about your rash, but you still didn't answer the question.

:popcorn:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
So? I haven't spoken another language since Sunday - when another AMERICAN Sowaller asked me a question in Spanish and I replied in the same language. Not everyone who isn't speaking English is a furriner on a work visa. :roll:

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
This is a perfect example of a high jacked post!

People can we please put this post back on track. The post is about helping people in this community in finding a job.. It is about who you have spoken to today that has a job opening. It is about helping someone to find a job. Not why you think they or them can not get a job! It is about you feeling better you doing something to help someone else!

What did you do today to help someone who needs a job? Did you smile at anyone today? Did you ask anyone today how they were doing? Did you go out of your way today to do something for someone else, not expecting for anything in return.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Corporate Bus Driver
Corporate bus driver needed. This is a salaried position with benefits available. You will travel at least 40% to 50% of the month. Three to five years experience is required. Please provide references and valid Drivers License number. Destin, Florida
Ny Times Monster