• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Eastern Lake Est., SoWal, FL
Panama City of Bay County begins the celebration of its 100th birthday today, Jan, 2, 2009, at 11 a.m. with the reading of a Centennial Year Proclamation at City Hall. The area that is now Panama City and SoWal both belonged to Washington County until 1913 (reference Sinko's Atlas of Florida Boundaries). Panama City Beach was within the original boundary of Walton County as was some of the new Bay County airport area. Other events planned include a Jan. 10 POPS concert. An earlier story in PC News Herald said a birthday cake will be set up at city hall on Feb,. 23, 2009. Make plans to help our historical sister celebrate this year. Many with the Bay County Historical Society and library are involved. A website to check out is www.panamacity2009.com

Last edited:

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Panama City will celebrate its 100th Birthday tomorrow with a cake at City Hall at 10 a.m. Panama City was incorporated on Feb. 23, 1909. I'll get a big cup of coffee in SoWal, head over to PC for the celebration, enjoy lunch in the historic downtown district and then return to SoWal. If Caspian's (a Persian Mediterrean Restuarant) isn't open downtown, will try Uncle Ernies in St. Andrews. Travel time between SoWal and Harrison Avenue in PC is about 45 minutes.

Lane Rees

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2006
This will be a historical event worth attending! One hundred years is certainly worth celebrating. Congratulations to Panama City!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
History Gone Wild!

Congrats PC!

DuneLaker

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Don't miss the re-enactment of 1909's infamous wet corset competition!

He, He, He! Made me smile this am. I'll keep a look out for that today.

History Gone Wild!

Congrats PC!

I'll get you a copy of the video!

Wish someone could update me on Uncle Earnie's Restaurant in St Andrews (St. Andrews was incorporated in 1908 and incorporated into PC in 1926). Confirm that they were from Pt. Washington, etc. If I stop by there today for lunch, will look for one of their placemats that used to have story of SoWal connection.