• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
Goodnight Sowal, everyone say their prayers.:D

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
It isn't the global community we should be more concerned preparing our children for, it's preparing them for their eternal life with God.
Let us teach them.
"Teach the little children, and forbid them not to come unto me."
If we are true Christians, it should follow us into the schools, not left on the door steps.:D

I am going to overlook your condescending attitude, and really hope you are not serious about this statement above.:eek:

I did not want the schools teaching my children religious stuff...that's what they went to church for! If I wanted to send them to a religious school I would have done that. And if that is the way you feel, then why not send your children (if you have any) to a religious school of your choice? Many people do.

As NoHall mentions above, the whole idea of this country is freedom from religion...in fact, it was the religious people like Roger Williams who fled to the New World to get away from the religion of England...he wanted a place where he was free to worship as he pleased without anyone telling him what he had to believe...if I read history correctly he was not interested in putting his religion, or anyone else's religion into the school system.

Belief is truly an individual choice; not something that should be forced onto anyone IMO.

Last edited:

ShallowsFuzz

Beach Lover
Dec 26, 2006
Point Washington
I am going to overlook your condescending attitude, and really hope you are not serious about this statement above.:eek:

I did not want the schools teaching my children religious stuff...that's what they went to church for! If I wanted to send them to a religious school I would have done that. And if that is the way you feel, then why not send your children (if you have any) to a religious school of your choice? Many people do.

As NoHall mentions above, the whole idea of this country is freedom from religion...in fact, it was the religious people like Roger Williams who fled to the New World to get away from the religion of England...he wanted a place where he was free to worship as he pleased without anyone telling him what he had to believe...if I read history correctly he was not interested in putting his religion, or anyone else's religion into the school system.

Belief is truly an individual choice; not something that should be forced onto anyone IMO.

Are you not doing the same, by telling us, who believe there should be more freedom, what to believe? "free to worship" what a statement within it's self.
Our Country needs men and women of God, who have been saved by the blood of Christ shining the light, not hiding it.
I'm not sure what all Roger Williams left the New World for, but what is more important is, today. Right now.
I am sure this debate will go on until Christ comes back. Let us all be sure in our hearts, that when we have our turn to stand before Him, that He will be pleased. God Bless all of Sowal.
One more thing, being a Christian, it's not a walk in the park. Being a Christian is one of the toughest. Why, you ask? Because sometimes, God calls to stand before Lions.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal

Actually Roger had to break away from the Puritans in Massachussetts. Ironically he formed what went on to become the Baptist Church!:lol:

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
religion in public schools

i have written letters to the editor on this subject on several occasions and still fail to understand why people feel the need to push their religion on everyone else in a public school. my children went to a public school, and it was my understanding it was just that "public", not christian, not jewish, not muslim, etc. i had several instances where i had to step in and stop organized prayer at snack time in my oldest son's elementary school. please send your child to parochial school if you want them to learn in a religious (your religion) environment. you can pray in your head all day, for goodness sake. you can go to church or wherever before school, after school and on weekends. how are any of you prevented from practicing your own religion in the proper setting? it's tough enough for kids to try and fit in - when you bring religion into the mix and allow one religion to dominate, such as christianity, you disenfranchise the others. i can't understand how paxton was allowed to have a baccelaureate led by a church. even if it was outside the school, it was really the school's graduation ceremony. what if you aren't christian - yes, there are some people who are not, shocking as it may seem. being inclusive by keeping public schools truly public goes much further to be inclusive of all races, religions, etc.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Wow.

Anyway...it is time for me to go back to more productive work at our school- there is a group of us hard at work on college prep issues and constructing a program to help get SWHS students registered for the SAT/ACT, help with college apps, financial aid, and scholarship assistance. I plan on starting a thread with more info when we tighten up the plans a bit.

hnooe

Beach Fanatic
Jul 21, 2007
religion at church and learning at school.....what a novel idea

it should be that simple....

Yes, and one can inform the other, although, generally speaking, you find more Belief in Church and more Truth in school.

If the Churches and Schools are doing it right in a balanced manner, then the child will be able to think and believe for him or herself.
Novel approach.

shellak

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
it should be that simple....

Yes, and one can inform the other, although, generally speaking, you find more Belief in Church and more Truth in school.

If the Churches and Schools are doing it right in a balanced manner, then the child will be able to think and believe for him or herself.
Novel approach.

love it - think for yourself - you are so right - what a novel approach!!!

30ashopper

SoWal Insider
Apr 30, 2008
Right here!
Are you not doing the same, by telling us, who believe there should be more freedom, what to believe? "free to worship" what a statement within it's self.

Our Country needs men and women of God, who have been saved by the blood of Christ shining the light, not hiding it.

I'm not sure what all Roger Williams left the New World for, but what is more important is, today. Right now.

I am sure this debate will go on until Christ comes back. Let us all be sure in our hearts, that when we have our turn to stand before Him, that He will be pleased. God Bless all of Sowal.

One more thing, being a Christian, it's not a walk in the park. Being a Christian is one of the toughest. Why, you ask? Because sometimes, God calls to stand before Lions.

I think you're taking this the wrong way shallowfuzz. No one is telling kids what to believe, they are doing the exact opposite in saying - you are free to believe whatever you choose to believe. Government should be agnostic - whether it's one religion or another or no religion, homosexuality or straight, man vs. a woman... government should not pick favorites. That's all. It's not an attack on any particular belief, its respect for everyone's beliefs. I can't imagine having it any other way.. then we truely have gone back to the ways of old England or worse, where government forces particular beliefs upon us. God forbid we end up with that.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I went to a private Catholic school w/ a crucifix in every classroom, a nun or priest running every dorm, 2 semesters of theology as a graduation requirement (one was basically reading 85% of the Bible), a church on campus, and mass as part of the graduation ceremony, and had far less religion crammed down my throat on a daily basis than the Walton County kids who go to A PUBLIC SCHOOL FUNDED WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS.

News flash - you can critically discuss your religion's tenets and policies, you can study science (the real stuff like evolution, not hooey like creationism), be involved in ground breaking research, actually teach kids something useful about birth control, treat everyone (including homosexuals) with respect and dignity, you can enjoy your religion and live according to its tenets without forced your beliefs and ideas on everyone else, and you can STILL BE A CHRISTIAN.

Banning plays, public prayers, religious groups at school, school board election issues about yoga and religion..............if another religion pushed THEIR beliefs onto your children this way, you would raise holy hell. All these close minded policies do is make your children less suited for life in the real world - where everyone isn't white and Christian.

Schools are about giving our children a basic education, not about shaping their religious ideas - that's why the teacher has a desk instead of a pulpit!