• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal
Inhaled too much sawdust - now that was funny, I'll give ya that!

I really don't want to turn this thread into the creation/evolution debate, and this is why I suggested PM before, so everyone wouldn't have to suffer it.

I don't know who Ted Haggard is, I just see the obvious pitfalls with the evolution theory (or do they not call it that anymore?).

I'm sorry, but I don't see how the gap theory fits into the Bible at all! Without getting in depth, I'll ask a simple question -

The Bible says - on the seventh day God ended his work (or evolution?) which he had made, and rested on the seventh day and blessed the seventh day.

How many millions of years did God rest? Remember now, he ended his work (man, animals, well everything). Are you saying that the fish grew legs and things took on different shapes while man, animals (birds, cattle, etc.-you read it) watched. If so, then when do I get my fins?

And then the church says to rest on the seventh day like God did. I don't think I want to rest that long (millions of years) - I get bored after just a day or two.

Well, maybe days one through six were billions of years and the seventh day was actually one day - In that case, I think I'd like a break before that!

And what about the evening and the morning being a day stuff? If that actually was a day, then God sure had a lot of foresight to make the trees and plants after that day, because they don't grow real good in the dark. That's why we grow our tomato plants outside instead of in the cellar!

Geo, I'm not asking you to believe all of this; I'm asking you to understand how the teachings of evolution can undermine the teachings of the Bible, just like the teachings of the Bible can undermine the teachings of, say, Hinduism or any other religion.

When my child comes home from school and asks about dinosaurs, evolution, seashells up in the mountains, Grand Canyon, etc. - I have an answer.
Obviously, other Christians won't. Therefore, their children might start to question the Bible. Understand-I'm not worried about me and mine here.

And I think we both know that math, spelling, sentence structure, typing, etc. are pretty much widely accepted. I can't think of a mathematical equation are an order of letters in a word that would offend anyones religion (actually, calculus did offend me when I was in school).

You're drunk.

dgsevier

Beach Fanatic
Can you rephrase that?

I thought that was exactly what this thread was about.

Are you saying that those against school prayer are also not against prayer at school functions. Isn't that the same thing?

Also, are you saying that there is prayer in homeroom or first hour? Didn't have that in my school. Well I can understand where that would offend people.

I thought "no religion in school" meant no mention of God allowed.

WW,
I have read and re-read your posts and I still don't know any more than when I started. You are so very brave to keep up your fight against facts and logic. But, in the end, I'm afraid your cause will end tragically.

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
WW,
I have read and re-read your posts and I still don't know any more than when I started. You are so very brave to keep up your fight against facts and logic. But, in the end, I'm afraid your cause will end tragically.

Oh, I've been well aware that my cause will end tragically the entire time, believe you me!

And I have "caught the drift" that it's time to end this debate (thank goodness). This whole argument has gotten pretty pathetic (and off topic).

Please Kurt, don't ever create a category for religious discussion!

I'm still going to watch this thread, but feel no reason to respond unless I am called out.

My closing statements-

Belief in the Bible requires a certain amount of faith.
Belief in evolution and gap theories requires a certain amount of faith.
All religions require a certain amount of faith.

Thanks guys & gals - :wave:

Last edited:

WhoDat1

Beach Lover
Oct 23, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I suggest you do some quick reading on the concept of limited public forums.

The restriction of a limited public forum must be able to withstand strict judicial scrutiny of its effect on First Amendment rights.

The above was posted from the link you suggested. It simply backs up my statement that free speech will not be restricted in a public (OR limited) public forum unless there is a strong, compelling state interest to restrict the speech. The state interest has been limited in federal courts to restrict dangerous speech that can potentially harm persons or property. This is the "strict judicial scrutiny" mentioned above from your link. A prayer by a graduate at a graduation ceremony is not restricted by the federal courts. Local jurisdictions may be more restrictive is they wish, but under the strict judicial scrutiny rule of the federal courts, if its challenged, the First Amendment will prevail.

This is Constitutional Law 101, folks.

Thanks Dr. Allen

In Christ,
Todd

Mark Partington

Beach Lover
Dec 10, 2007
walton county
www.flickr.com
My daughter has been a victim of this fundementalist tripe-wow-christian charity;amazing.

When you see your myth as history youre missing the point. So are other 'fundemantalists' we call terrorists.
same deal.
Our local Bible thumper wanted to turn my 14 year old daughter over his knee & give her a 'spanking' in school-that's some kinda twisted higher education.
He's luck he's not eating thru a straw for that one.
My personal relationship with God isnt in anyone's jurisdiction.
There are better topics-I cant believe the courts layeddown on this-I believe the last 6 years is the clostest we've come to facism sice Dupont tried to take out FDR & tobogan his anti-wall street new deal down the abbyss
bless you all, & your diversity-That;s American.
m

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Oh, I've been well aware that my cause will end tragically the entire time, believe you me!

And I have "caught the drift" that it's time to end this debate (thank goodness). This whole argument has gotten pretty pathetic (and off topic).

Please Kurt, don't ever create a category for religious discussion!

I'm still going to watch this thread, but feel no reason to respond unless I am called out.

My closing statements-

Belief in the Bible requires a certain amount of faith.
Belief in evolution and gap theories requires a certain amount of faith.
All religions require a certain amount of faith.

Please do not respond!

Thanks guys & gals - :wave:

You must have some secret powers.

I just spent a whole lot of time on what I believe is one of my best posts ever (it's all relative) responding to you. I was so proud of it and pleased with myself that I articulated my precise thoughts and feelings that I even copied it to my clipboard before hitting the final "Submit Reply" button.

At that point I lost my connection and then got stuck on a conference call.

When I reconnected to wi-fi and went to reply I hit CTRL V and nothing. It all vanished.

So you get what you want for now. I am not responding because I do not have the cognitive capacity to recreate that one.

But if you chime back in all deals are off. You can't expect to post, have your last word and then declare you are not accepting replies. It doesn't work that way. Not here and not with this group.

:lol:

Cheers, G

woodworker

Beach Lover
Jan 26, 2008
SRB
You must have some secret powers.

I just spent a whole lot of time on what I believe is one of my best posts ever (it's all relative) responding to you. I was so proud of it and pleased with myself that I articulated my precise thoughts and feelings that I even copied it to my clipboard before hitting the final "Submit Reply" button.

At that point I lost my connection and then got stuck on a conference call.

When I reconnected to wi-fi and went to reply I hit CTRL V and nothing. It all vanished.

So you get what you want for now. I am not responding because I do not have the cognitive capacity to recreate that one.

But if you chime back in all deals are off. You can't expect to post, have your last word and then declare you are not accepting replies. It doesn't work that way. Not here and not with this group.

:lol:

Cheers, G

I believe I said I would respond if I was called out (read my last post).

If you can remember what you wanted to post, by all means post it. It doesn't have to be that eloquent.

I'm just backing away quietly because I think this has turned into some silly showdown between a few of us. The other participants of this thread didn't ask for that and don't deserve it.

But I know it stinks not to be able to present your case fully. I got my last thought out, you have every right to do the same. But I'm not going to drag these people through the muck anymore, after that.

I'm not going away with a "winning" attitude if it's of any consolation to you.

Please finish - fire away, drop your gun and run in the opposite direction and I promise I'll do the same!

Then if you want a response from me later, let me know (clearly) and I'll come back (I'll still be armed though!) :funn:

(By the way, I don't think any more or less of anyone because of what they say on a message board or believe in - not that I personally know you, but I don't pick my friends according to their beliefs. Just don't like when people assume things without knowing both sides. Or, like lucifersam said, maybe I'm drunk.
But, I'm not your typical everyday Bible thumper, though!)

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
That's why I say no religion in schools at all (including evolution). It used to be most people in this country (and it's schools) were at least aware of God, and chose to either follow or rebel. Now that immigration from other countries is easier and more accepted, other religions come along. But "traditional" Christians don't want to accept their beliefs any more than they want to accept ours.

I think teaching all religions in school would just confuse young minds, not to mention take away from subjects that actually set up children to run this country. Also, the schools would have to add a new religion to the curriculum every few months here lately.

Instruct your children in the home according to your religious beliefs, and teach them to be strong against the influence of other beliefs (which is what the emergent church of today doesn't do).

Uniforms probably aren't a bad idea, either. (I've about had it with the "skull and death" clothes.)

Of course, I speak from a traditional Christian standpoint-I'm sure there are many other opinions.
so everyone in the beginning was christian....is that why we killed the injuns?

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
The restriction of a limited public forum must be able to withstand strict judicial scrutiny of its effect on First Amendment rights.

The above was posted from the link you suggested. It simply backs up my statement that free speech will not be restricted in a public (OR limited) public forum unless there is a strong, compelling state interest to restrict the speech. The state interest has been limited in federal courts to restrict dangerous speech that can potentially harm persons or property. This is the "strict judicial scrutiny" mentioned above from your link. A prayer by a graduate at a graduation ceremony is not restricted by the federal courts. Local jurisdictions may be more restrictive is they wish, but under the strict judicial scrutiny rule of the federal courts, if its challenged, the First Amendment will prevail.

This is Constitutional Law 101, folks.

Thanks Dr. Allen

In Christ,
Todd

the compelling interest would be separation of church and state[the state being public education]. does the power of christ compel you to receive it?