• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
So many great places! Good thread, SWGB!

DKA mentioned the late, great Jim Cooper earlier on and I, for one, miss the original FrostBites...

I know, I know... the whole airstream thing is trendy, but I loved, loved, loved heading over to FrostBites in the building next to the beach walkover, by Spiazzia. Case (Jim's brother, if I remember correctly) was terrific to all of us Seaside students, who would spend hours commandeering his stereo and spinning around on his Coca-Cola bar stools.

Of course, with all the dollar bills that we defaced and stuck up on his walls, he was very well compensated! I must've posted at least $50 bucks up there, all on my own, covered in doodles and BFFs!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
And now a short trip down memory lane... ;-)

View attachment 11894

Great shot! We used to buy gas for our jeep there. It was one of three places to get gas...Grayton Store, JD Miller's Texaco on 98 between 83 and 393, and Shallowsnole's dad's place, South Walton Superette, better known as Dickie's!

Oh, if you look closely at the Grayton shot, you will see that they were a Union 76 station.

How far back did I just date myself?

Last edited:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Great shot! We used to buy gas for our jeep there. It was one of three places to get gas...Grayton Store, JD Miller's Texaco on 98 between 83 and 393, and Shallowsnole's dad's place, South Walton Superette, better known as Dickie's!

Oh, if you look closely at the Grayton shot, you will see that they were a Union 76 station.

Don't worry - I'm right there with you!

Growing up, I worked (obviously) at the Superette. Then the Butler Store n/k/a Red Bar (whoever said those walls could talk don't know the half of it! My name was painted on a couple of tables). Then I worked for Junie McGee at the Village Market. I wasn't even looking for a job, went in there for something, and Todd yelled "MOM! HERE'S A CANDIDATE!" We used to laugh at the funny-looking people that started Seaside - normal men didn't wear long shorts! Little did we know...:lol:

After that, it was off to Tallahassee. Those were the days - your job was your social life...;-)

I also remember Emory Elkins at the Wheelhouse. The original Bay Grove Cafe. Clayton's in Santa Rosa Beach.

And Beachview - that was absolutely awesome, at the time. I miss those days, but I miss my youth worse. Can't get either one back, so no use to cry over it!

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

The photo of The Old Butler Store is from the early seventies when it was called Grayton Place. It was just a hang-out for teeny-boppers...pinball, ping-pong table...loitering in the parking lot was how we got through the evenings...all the walls inside were filled with people writing or carving their names into the table tops and booths...

Last edited:

Captain Larry

SoWal.com Featured Blogger
Mar 21, 2006
Eastern Lake
the old Grayton Corner Cafe- Before Opal- with Randall cleaning fish on the bar

Cafe Tango of course , 30-A's 1st real fine dining

and Cattle Company! A good Steak for Cheep! In a previous life there was a Bar in the NW corner of the building where all us volunteer idiots would hang. One night there was wreck on 98 and everybody in the place was either a fireman or responder except for one snowbird couple, All our Radios went off at once and the entire joint emptied in less than a minute as everybody ran to the old fire station on S 393. When I went back to pay my tab the next day the bartender said the older couple left inside 'bout went bezerk with our mass exodus and screaming radios !

deadfish

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
What was the Cattle Company before it was the Cattle Company?