• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Our washer and dryer are shot. The repairman fixed the dryer, but he put a yellow tape on it saying, "UNPLUG WHEN NOT IN USE!" :yikes:

Our Sub-Zero has been a problem forevah! I need a new built-in! The double-ovens and dishwasher are also 20 years old.

Cooktop (Wolf gas) and vent (VentAHood) are Pepper's age (4), so they are okay.

Also need a new downstairs vacuum cleaner because the cleaning ladies have banged it against the furniture too many times (if someone else cleans your home, you know what I'm sayin':bang:).

Anyone have any suggestions on any of this? I joined Consumer Reports online, but they don't exactly give any glowing recommendations. I can post pdfs of their recs if anyone is interested.

I just don't want an appliance to die and have to make a quick, uninformed decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you might give me. :love:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Feel your pain a little. I am beginning the search for a new fridge, but have bought myself some time by having freon added to the existing one. PawPaw is all excited and wants to go look at them when I get down to Houston for my visit. The man LOVES appliances. :D

Feel your pain a little. I am beginning the search for a new fridge, but have bought myself some time by having freon added to the existing one. PawPaw is all excited and wants to go look at them when I get down to Houston for my visit. The man LOVES appliances. :D
How cute!

Hope your PawPaw is doing better than Mom. Totally different circumstances, but both so sad.:sosad:

Here's what they recommend for built-in refrigerators. See what I'm saying? If one has to pay $7600 for their top-rated fridge, that stinks!

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I can't imagine paying $7600 for a fridge unless it cuts up the fresh produce, makes meals, dispenses perfect drink ice (you know the kind I am am talking about - like flat llittle rocks), and has a margarita dispenser in the door. Really, keep shopping!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I can't imagine paying $7600 for a fridge unless it cuts up the fresh produce, makes meals, dispenses perfect drink ice (you know the kind I am am talking about - like flat llittle rocks), and has a margarita dispenser in the door. Really, keep shopping!

:rotfl:...FTLOC...even I might buy jdarg's $7600 fridge and jsut stay home all day and drink.

BR...come back to reality for a minute. Think Home Depot or Lowe's. :wave:

What I don't get is that the least expensive one they list is $5200. Isn't Consumer Reports supposed to be geared towards the average American?

I guess what makes it so expensive is that it's a built-in. We'd have to totally redo all of our cabinetry if we went with a non-built-in.

BTW when we got the Sub-Zero, it cost about $3000. As we found out at closing, our contractor was having money problems. He used the $3000 draft for the refrigerator to pay for another job. So we had to pay for the refrigerator twice. It was that or delay closing and lose the nice interest rate. :bang:There is still a warrant for his arrest in this county.

CincyBeachGirl

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2008
I did well with Home Depot. The sales guy was a consumer report guru and did a good job explaining why one was better than the other.......They tend to do discounts if you buy your appliances in bulk, plus a 6 months same as cash on the Home Depot card!!!! We went to home depot in PCB and bought washer, dryer, dishwasher and frig.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
as far as vacs go, I recommend a Dyson. They are on the "high" side, cost wise, but I found one on sale for half price.

If you have any issues with allergies, Dyson is great--if you need a light weight machine--they are great--and they manuever like no vac I have ever used; and I needed one for all these reasons as well as letting the the cleaning lady go was one of my first "adjustments" to the down economy:sosad: