• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

biddieann

Beach Lover
Honestly, I always bring our own pillows and linens (incuding light blankets) every time we travel anywhere. As for the comforters or expensive duvets I just fold them and put them to the side because I would assume they are not laundered after each guest especially since the turnaround time can be only hours. I am also a germaphobe but I have never had a problem in SoWal whatsoever and we have stayed at several different homes. Always a pleasure.:D
Does the bringing our own stuff thing seem weird to anyone?:dunno:

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Look here I know it is gross, but come on it’s not right either. People come here to vacation and they deserve to have a clean bed. I don’t believe that any of us would sleep or at best sleep well knowing that 20 different people had slept, had sex and god knows whatever else, on top of the comforter that you and your family are sleeping with.

I am someone who has stayed in many upscale four and five star hotels in Houston, Austin, Dallas and Cincinnati in the last three years. What I have noticed in these hotels is that they no longer put those big old over stuff dust mite filled comforters on their beds. Take a guess at what color the hotels use now days for their comforters? If you guest white you got it! The reason they don't do that anymore is because of a 60 minute special on the grossness of comforters, pillows and bed linens along with other things they ran that red or green light over.

Those red and green lights identify the grossness of some guest and some hotels, if I remember correctly I believe Hilton took a big hit. You all might have seen that special. It was a real eye opener one eye at which has not been addressed in this area. I have no doubt in my mind that if any of the vacation renters here knew that the comforter that is lying on top of their clean sheets had not been washed in a year, they would be hitting the ceiling. The hotel industry took a huge beating over this practice and they also corrected it. They corrected it by covering their beds with easy washable white linens.

This is the grosses thing I have heard here yet and under no circumstances should it be accepted or practiced. Here is a new slogan for someone who wants to rent their rental more often well at this point in time I think I would use a slogan something like our vacation rentals offer clean beds and bed linens and linens includes the comforter too.

I've never brought my own linens when I've rented a house, condo, or hotel room. Too much trouble. Maybe a pillow just because I like nice down pillows with high thread-count pillow cases, plus a pillow is nice to have for snoozing in the car. I will fold down a bedspread if the hotel doesn't offer turndown service or if I'm renting a home/condo.

I do have extra duvet and sham covers for the beach house. But it's too much work to change all of that out in 4 bedrooms. I don't want to leave them out for the cleaning service to change because I don't want them washing my Peacock Alley.

I consider myself a germaphobe. I never touch doorknobs, and I clean the handles of shopping carts when I go to the store.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
no biddieann, it's not weird. i also take my own linens (towels, washcloths, sheets, blankets and pillows) and i wash all dishes before i use.

Last edited:

biddieann

Beach Lover
I've never brought my own linens when I've rented a house, condo, or hotel room. Too much trouble. Maybe a pillow just because I like nice down pillows with high thread-count pillow cases, plus a pillow is nice to have for snoozing in the car. I will fold down a bedspread if the hotel doesn't offer turndown service or if I'm renting a home/condo.

I do have extra duvet and sham covers for the beach house. But it's too much work to change all of that out in 4 bedrooms. I don't want to leave them out for the cleaning service to change because I don't want them washing my Peacock Alley.

I consider myself a germaphobe. I never touch doorknobs, and I clean the handles of shopping carts when I go to the store.

It's really not so much work and well worth it to keep someone else's DNA at bay to the extent that it is possible. We have a guest house and I would never not launder everything between guests and frequently buy new pillows every few months. Our guest house comforters are machine washable and NOT expensive or dry clean only so it is easy.

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
In our beach house we use cotton quilts. Every time we stay there I wash all of them and the blankets. They are reasonable at TJ Maxx or Marhall's . I leave an extra in the closet. However some people drag them to the beach instead of using a beach towel. I gave up trying to contol what happened in our home ---by the agency or guests after a couple of yrs---it gave me an ulcer.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
I have to admit that I do carry sheets with me and I do cover the couches and chairs. Something I picked up from my mother over the years. I also believe that if washing and drying the linens on any of these rentals is too much work then they are the wrong linens. I believe that the renters would rather have clean linens than pretty dirty linens.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
Misdemeanor of the first degree

In our beach house we use cotton quilts. Every time we stay there I wash all of them and the blankets. They are reasonable at TJ Maxx or Marhall's . I leave an extra in the closet. However some people drag them to the beach instead of using a beach towel. I gave up trying to contol what happened in our home ---by the agency or guests after a couple of yrs---it gave me an ulcer.

However some people drag them to the beach instead of using a beach towel.

(2) UNAUTHORIZED USE OR DISPOSITION OF REGISTERED LINENS, ETC.--No person shall without the written consent of the owner willfully take, detain, use, sell, traffic in or otherwise dispose of, or use for any purpose other than that for which such article was intended any registered bed linen or table linen, garment, apron, or towel; provided, however, that the use of such article or articles at the place where the same are placed or delivered by the owner or owners under an agreement, lease, or license from such owner shall not be unlawful; and provided, further, that nothing herein contained shall make it unlawful for any caterer, hotel, restaurant, cafe, or other public hostelry to permit and allow the use of such bed linen or table linen, garment, apron, or towel by any guest, boarder, or regularly hired employee thereof during the period of any lease, renting, or hiring agreement of said supplies with the owner thereof. (3) PENALTY.--Anyone found guilty of violation of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
but a lot of people think that rules don't apply to them, did ya ever notice that?:blink:

They would and will understand it when your cleaning lady tells you that the guest that just checked out has taken the sheets to the beach and then you can wrap up the sheets mail them to them and then charge their little credit card for it. You tell the people renting the units to their face what they can and cannot do and then hand it to them in writing and have them sign it. It is as simple as that. Rules are mostly enforced by threat of penalties.