• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Look here I know it is gross, but come on it’s not right either. People come here to vacation and they deserve to have a clean bed. I don’t believe that any of us would sleep or at best sleep well knowing that 20 different people had slept, had sex and god knows whatever else, on top of the comforter that you and your family are sleeping with.

I am someone who has stayed in many upscale four and five star hotels in Houston, Austin, Dallas and Cincinnati in the last three years. What I have noticed in these hotels is that they no longer put those big old over stuff dust mite filled comforters on their beds. Take a guess at what color the hotels use now days for their comforters? If you guest white you got it! The reason they don't do that anymore is because of a 60 minute special on the grossness of comforters, pillows and bed linens along with other things they ran that red or green light over.

Those red and green lights identify the grossness of some guest and some hotels, if I remember correctly I believe Hilton took a big hit. You all might have seen that special. It was a real eye opener one eye at which has not been addressed in this area. I have no doubt in my mind that if any of the vacation renters here knew that the comforter that is lying on top of their clean sheets had not been washed in a year, they would be hitting the ceiling. The hotel industry took a huge beating over this practice and they also corrected it. They corrected it by covering their beds with easy washable white linens.

This is the grosses thing I have heard here yet and under no circumstances should it be accepted or practiced. Here is a new slogan for someone who wants to rent their rental more often well at this point in time I think I would use a slogan something like our vacation rentals offer clean beds and bed linens and linens includes the comforter too.

If this is an attempt to seek business, I do not think it is wise to insult owners who, in all likelihood, are spending hard earned money keeping their homes up to par the best they can.

I can also tell you that prior to buying in Sowal, I had looked at home up and down the coasts. Most of those homes you either bring your own linens or use a linen service and pay separate for the rental of such. Further, I have never had ANYONE ask me if I clean my comforters at each turn. It's impossible. My cleaning lady has 6 hours to turn multiple homes. If the comforter grosses someone out, they can use blankets provided in the closets or bring their own. A white linen topper, in addition to cleaned sheets provided, on every bed, cleaned every time? I'd say more like thrown out most likely after several uses. People leave wet towels on beds and have left stains on my comforters, which had to be tossed. Makeup, blood, magic markers stains from children.

The hotels may be able to afford to do such when they are charging $200 plus a day for a 50 sq. room, but people renting a home, trying to squeek as many as possible in one house, have not paid for this luxury, IMHO. If they want that service, myself and my housekeeper would be more than happy to collect the same amount per square foot the hotels do.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
ladyinspector...are you selling white sheets and duvet covers? :dunno:

tistheseason

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta, GA
We don't really rent out our beach house -- but we frequently have guest there as well as guest in our permanent home. It never dawned on me to wash the comforters after each guest. For those that expect it with a rental, is there a different standard for guest in your home?

I think it's totally reasonable to bring your own linens if you would like. I certainly don't think it's odd!

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
If this is an attempt to seek business, I do not think it is wise to insult owners who, in all likelihood, are spending hard earned money keeping their homes up to par the best they can.

I can also tell you that prior to buying in Sowal, I had looked at home up and down the coasts. Most of those homes you either bring your own linens or use a linen service and pay separate for the rental of such. Further, I have never had ANYONE ask me if I clean my comforters at each turn. It's impossible. My cleaning lady has 6 hours to turn multiple homes. If the comforter grosses someone out, they can use blankets provided in the closets or bring their own. A white linen topper, in addition to cleaned sheets provided, on every bed, cleaned every time? I'd say more like thrown out most likely after several uses. People leave wet towels on beds and have left stains on my comforters, which had to be tossed. Makeup, blood, magic markers stains from children.

The hotels may be able to afford to do such when they are charging $200 plus a day for a 50 sq. room, but people renting a home, trying to squeek as many as possible in one house, have not paid for this luxury, IMHO. If they want that service, myself and my housekeeper would be more than happy to collect the same amount per square foot the hotels do.

This is in no way attempt to seek business. It was a question about the standards of cleaning bed linens. Insulting owners I am not insulting anyone if anyone feels that it is ok to rent your unit out to twenty different people and never wash the comforter then I guess that answered the question. I am sorry if the question insulted anyone.

I agree.

I just did a search on comforter covers. The cheapest plain white ones were $59.99 for all sizes at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. That's 6 comforters times 2 (the cleaning service wouldn't have time to launder them between guests) times $59.99 plus 7% tax. That's about $770, excluding shipping. And the cleaning service would charge extra for washing my personal linens each week.

However, I know of no rental management company that washes bed covers in-between every rental occurrence. Do you?

snowman

Beach Lover
Apr 1, 2008
We don't really rent out our beach house -- but we frequently have guest there as well as guest in our permanent home. It never dawned on me to wash the comforters after each guest. For those that expect it with a rental, is there a different standard for guest in your home?

I think it's totally reasonable to bring your own linens if you would like. I certainly don't think it's odd![/quote)

oh my!.....i get my down comforters at target and they stand up to washings every month in the wash.

i just can't believe you wouldn't wash your comforters for your own guests??:eek:

we always have company stay with us and i always wash them before and after in the hottest water i have. my comforters are still going strong after 2 years and i wash them a lot!