• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't have a different standard for a private home than I do for a hotel - if I visit relatives or stay in my childhood room I certainly don't expect them to wash the comforter or blankets before and after my visit. That's what sheets are for!

I DO expect fresh clean sheets, towels, etc. for every visit and that the comforters/covers be changed/washed multiple times a year depending on frequency of use or noticeable soil.

You shouldn't have anything in a rental that is "too nice" to be cleaned regularly and easily - otherwise you deserve the $$ cleaning bill.

I don't have a different standard for a private home than I do for a hotel - if I visit relatives or stay in my childhood room I certainly don't expect them to wash the comforter or blankets before and after my visit. That's what sheets are for!

I DO expect fresh clean sheets, towels, etc. for every visit and that the comforters/covers be changed/washed multiple times a year depending on frequency of use or noticeable soil.

You shouldn't have anything in a rental that is "too nice" to be cleaned regularly and easily - otherwise you deserve the $$ cleaning bill.
I agree with the first two paragraphs.

Renters expect high-quality bed linens in a house of our quality, not throw-away, multi-colored, floral print bedspreads from Wal-Mart. Do you know of a rental management company that would even have time to wash personal linens in the high-season, for any price?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I'll take clean mid-level over dirty high-end any day of the week. :D

There's a lot of room for compromise between tacky Walmart crap and too nice for a housekeeper to clean regularly.

Seriously, can you picture most of your renters coming back from vacation and saying they had a wonderful time, but it was almost ruined because the duvet wasn't tony enough? I'd say they are much more likely to complain about cleanliness than the price point of your linens. :roll:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I think the difference is what one expects in a hotel vs what one should expect in a rental home or condo.

The housekeepers in hotels carry extra sheets on their carts. They pull the sheets off the beds and wash the sheets for all rooms. The sheet you slept on in Room 120 last night might wind up being the sheet on the bed in room 420 tomorrow night. They may or may not change the comforters, but then again, it's a central stock. No difference in quality or pattern for any room.

An individual rental home has specific linens for specific beds, and they are not interchangeable with the linens in any other home. The houses typically have extra sheets / towels, but for the housekeeper to stay and wash the sheets (and other bed linens) and wait for them to dry would take at least two hours, assuming all the linens on all the beds in the house can be washed and dried together. Private housekeepers often have 20 or more houses to clean in a 6-hour turnaround. It doesn't logistically work. Some rental companies run a linen pool, but again, that is sheets and towels only. Not duvets or comforters.

Point being - I expect clean sheets, pillowcases and towels, but that's all. Everything else gets folded down (primarily so I don't drool or whatever on it and mess it up).

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Point being - I expect clean sheets, pillowcases and towels, but that's all. Everything else gets folded down (primarily so I don't drool or whatever on it and mess it up).

:lolabove: I just snorted. Is that ok on my Tarjay comforter?

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Private housekeepers often have 20 or more houses to clean in a 6-hour turnaround. It doesn't logistically work. Some rental companies run a linen pool, but again, that is sheets and towels only. Not duvets or comforters.

IMO 18 minutes per HOUSE to clean doesn't work logistically regardless of linen count.

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
We don't really rent out our beach house -- but we frequently have guest there as well as guest in our permanent home. It never dawned on me to wash the comforters after each guest. For those that expect it with a rental, is there a different standard for guest in your home?

I think it's totally reasonable to bring your own linens if you would like. I certainly don't think it's odd![/quote)

oh my!.....i get my down comforters at target and they stand up to washings every month in the wash.

i just can't believe you wouldn't wash your comforters for your own guests??:eek:

we always have company stay with us and i always wash them before and after in the hottest water i have. my comforters are still going strong after 2 years and i wash them a lot!

Thank you its hard for me to believe that I am reading excuses, I don't care what it cost, its a tax write off and it comes with renting out vacation rentals.

I also don't care if an owner has to hire 10 cleaning people to get it done right. There is no excuse for not delivering what a client is assuming they are getting.

There are a number of different ways to cover a bed and it does not have to be with a comforter that will not fit into a washing machine. Tuesday Mornings has always got new, nice left over hotel type bed linens and that is were I would be buying all of it.

I would not spend alot of money on any of it. Ask a vacationer which one they would perfer to have a pretty big over stuff dirty comforter or a plain warm clean cotton cover and blankets. We all know the answer.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
[/b]

:lolabove: I just snorted. Is that ok on my Tarjay comforter?

Got a Tide pen? :D

IMO 18 minutes per HOUSE to clean doesn't work logistically regardless of linen count.

That is true, and kinda goes back to the whole issue. Also why they tend to come in teams.

It takes me 18 minutes to get the pet hair out of the vacuum cleaner or to find the last place we put the Swiffer duster refills, much less to actually accomplish anything with either. :blink:

ladyinspector

Beach Comber
Feb 3, 2009
ladyinspector...are you selling white sheets and duvet covers? :dunno:

No I am not selling anything. I decided a few weeks back not to operate my business in this area, which was my choice. But just as a note. Destin has a nice Tuesday Mornings and if you shop that store you will be able to find some really nice linens at a good price. I believe the problem is that every bed needs to have multiple supplies on hand three full sets per bed and a high school kid standing in the laundry mat working. Problem solved.