• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lisa_at_the_beach

Beach Fanatic
Nov 25, 2004
SoWal
wow, don't know whether to laugh or cry reading this thread. So many memories. OMG the Indigo Bar. If those walls could talk!! Jim Cooper....MISS MISS HIM....danced barefoot at Shades at Seaside Many Many thursday nights to Jim's tunes...."brown eyed girl"....... Kid's loved it when AJ's was in Grayton.... Patrones.....what was the little taco place???? LOVED it! When the HOA was on DeFuniak in Grayton EVERYONE always wanted to know what happened to Patrones........Then the Only place to get a burger was a place called Shore Thing in Seagrove 40.00 for three burgers and fries....Anyone remember the woman behind the Magnolia House that sold Mexican Food? You'd bring your own pans and stand in line with everyone else and she'd dish up whatever mexican food she'd cooked that week. It didn't matter to us, we were from Texas and MISSED it so bad. MISS the Grayton Corner Cafe.....What about Jezzabelle's?(sp?) Didn't Teresa have that for a short while? LOVED the decor....and I know it's not in SoWal....but miss June's Dunes in Destin....great breakfasts.

Geeze....I can't believe I've been living here this long.

:wave: Kevin!!!! Good to see you posting here!!!

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Back to the Red Bar / Grayton Place / Old Butler Store...teenage hangout for at least three full generations, possibly four. Ever since there was a bridge across the bay, young people have flocked to Grayton Beach.

Yesterday, my brother told me a tale I'd never heard. My dad was a Walton County Constable in the early 1960's. He also owned some sort of a sawed-off WWII carbine - I always heard it referred to as the Gatlin Gun. (I hate guns, sorry. So what do I do? Marry a cop! :roll:) I have also heard from more than one source that my dad had a reputation for shooting first and asking questions later.

Anyway...there were boys from Fort Walton, boys from DeFuniak, and boys from Freeport - all at the Grayton Store one particular Saturday night (said brother might have been one of them). Of course, a riot broke out and the law was called. I am told that Daddy walked in, yelled stop, but nobody did. So, he walked back to his car, got the Gatlin, and emptied about 30 rounds into the upper walls of the building. After the first twenty, the place was as quiet as a library.

So, if Oli has ever found bulletholes in the walls and wondered where they came from...:wave:

ItzKatzTime

Beach Fanatic
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Cerulean's

Has anyone mentioned Ceruleans's at Watercolor? Hate that it closed so early in it's magical life here in SoWal. :sosad:
What a wonderful eclectic spot!!!!

southof30A

Beach Lover
Nov 23, 2004
Lake Place was right up there with Criolla's quality wise.

Jolly Roger for some shots of tequila and a great fish sandwich.

The Terrace, as always. This is a venerable SoWal institution that I feel does not get anywhere near enough credit. Simple surroundings, laid back atmosphere, fabulous food by a family that really cares.

Has anyone been to Boar's Head in the last 10 years?

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Great thread ... loving all these stories.

I am so glad I am not the only one who gets sad every time I drive by the old Luna del Mar! It was the first restaurant we went to in SoWal and I miss it terribly ... Kitty and DD go see if you can set something up for us and get them to come back. :wave:

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
Great thread ... loving all these stories.

I am so glad I am not the only one who gets sad every time I drive by the old Luna del Mar! It was the first restaurant we went to in SoWal and I miss it terribly ... Kitty and DD go see if you can set something up for us and get them to come back. :wave:

When Kitty gets back in town, we'll do it! :wave:

avalon

Beach Fanatic
Apr 21, 2008
Seagrove
The Terrace

The Terrace, as always. This is a venerable SoWal institution that I feel does not get anywhere near enough credit. Simple surroundings, laid back atmosphere, fabulous food by a family that really cares.

I agree with you about The Terrace! Sort of funky, in a nice way, and always solid in the kitchen. I think Chef Tom does most of the cooking himself. That location has also housed Lous' Restaurant and The Blue Heron. Boars Head is same as it ever was- adequate.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007

Boar's Head is still wonderful and the Wine selection stays consistently wonderful and cheap (it's kind of local secret).